Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed ref astra 1.6 diesel  (Read 2886 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Advice needed ref astra 1.6 diesel
« on: 02 September 2021, 14:44:03 »

I've just had a letter from Vauxhall which reads, more or less, as follows:

This letter is to inform you of a customer satisfaction programme to reduce the exhaust emissions of your vehicle...........An authorised Vauxhall Repairer will carry out a software update to your emissions control system..........Your vehicles fuel economy, performance and noise level will be unaffected.
Please contact your nearest......blah, blah

Now I know a couple of people who had this update done a while back. Not to a Vauxhall, but to VAG cars after dieselgate. My next door neighbour had an Audi TT Black and, when he got it back, he said it was gutless. Of course, once it's done, there's no going back. I have a service plan in place with Vauxhall, and I'm concerned that when I take it in in October for MOT and service, they'll do the update whether I say I don't want it or not.

Has anyone got any experience of this particular update or of it on other makes. Thanks.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed ref astra 1.6 diesel
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2021, 15:12:56 »

Just got this from the Astra K forum:

I have done update last week unfortunatelly. I didnt know how bad would be.
Bu now is done and i cant "roll back" right?
Car is less responsive to throttle and i think it uses a lot more fuel now. I regret doing this update.
I would say that now engine is "lazy" under 1800 rpms and i have to shift more frequently.
Not happy with how it feels now to drive.

Vx can eff off.
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2021, 17:32:50 »

I'd want a written guarantee that the 'upgrade' will only improve the car before letting any authorised repairer anywhere near the car.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2021, 17:40:14 »

Don't forget to ask Vauxhall for the big fat compo payout
apparently diesel fumes are bad for the planet  :P

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2021, 18:03:29 »

I'd want a written guarantee that the 'upgrade' will only improve the car before letting any authorised repairer anywhere near the car.
I should have asked Google before my knee jerk post, Nick. There is no way her car is going for a remap that will reduce power and increase consumption, just to save a few noxes. As it is not a safety recall, there is no mention of it on DVSA, so it can be MOT'd as normal. Just not at Vx, because the sneaky bastards would do it as a matter of course.
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2021, 18:10:59 »

They will probably do it at any point they see it, including any servicing or repairs.  Basically because they can claim money back from Vauxhall for doing nothing beyond plugging the computer in.
Grumpy old man

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2021, 18:12:42 »

I'd be snipping some wires to the ODB plug and putting my own jumper/connector in - which I would remove before leaving the car with them.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2021, 18:36:02 »

It's probably getting traded some time next year. In the mean time I'll get my local indie to service and MOT it. Vauxhall Warranty (paid for) runs out in December, and they wouldn't repair any failure unless recalls were up to date, but I'll take a chance on that. I'll ring Vx tomorrow and tell them I want whatever money is in my service plan account refunding.
I'm determined that the bastards aren't getting their hands on it.
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2021, 18:59:52 »

Mercedes say that my ML needs it's software modifying too for the same reason. I ignored their letter as the forums generally say that their cars have flagged up NOX sensor codes more or less as soon as they've left the forecourt after the "upgrade". The fix us then hundred of pounds & MB would have you believe that they don't know of another car that's had a problem. They phoned me to book my car in but I told them what the Web says & I don't intend fixing something that's not broken. She politely said goodbye & that's the last I've heard.
But as above I understand that MB will automatically update any car they see through the door.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2021, 19:17:10 »

It's nonsense to say these "upgrades" won't affect performance.
If that were the case, why would they have fiddled the emissions tests in the first place?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2021, 20:21:12 »

Just read a couple of posts on the owners forum. One of them quoted this after VW fiddled about with a Passat:

One of the tested cars is a four-wheel drive Passat Alltrack. Before going to the Volkswagen workshop, we measured 176 horsepower and 379 Nm in torque. After the fix, only 163 horsepower and 369 Nm remained. The numbers may not seem that different but the torque curve has changed completely. Before the fix, maximum torque at nearly 380 Nm was found between 1500 and 2300 rpms. After reprogramming at Volkswagen, the torque curve slopes. At 1500 rpms, the engine only provides 220 Nm. It is not until 1900 rpms we get the maximum 369 Nm. Since this is the rpm interval most used in a diesel car, the effect is felt almost constantly.

Diesel till I die

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2021, 21:34:23 »

I wonder how many of us with diesels have had this upgrade having taken the car in for a” service”?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2021, 22:28:01 »

I wonder how many of us with diesels have had this upgrade having taken the car in for a” service”?

mine hasn't as it's not been anywhere near a MB dealer in the last 18 months ..... it goes to a local independent  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2021, 10:29:16 »

Just read a couple of posts on the owners forum. One of them quoted this after VW fiddled about with a Passat:

One of the tested cars is a four-wheel drive Passat Alltrack. Before going to the Volkswagen workshop, we measured 176 horsepower and 379 Nm in torque. After the fix, only 163 horsepower and 369 Nm remained. The numbers may not seem that different but the torque curve has changed completely. Before the fix, maximum torque at nearly 380 Nm was found between 1500 and 2300 rpms. After reprogramming at Volkswagen, the torque curve slopes. At 1500 rpms, the engine only provides 220 Nm. It is not until 1900 rpms we get the maximum 369 Nm. Since this is the rpm interval most used in a diesel car, the effect is felt almost constantly.

Thats because they keep the EGR working harder so it impacts boost at the lower rpm

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2021, 12:19:17 »

Thats because they keep the EGR working harder so it impacts boost at the lower rpm
My auto changes up around 1900rpm in normal use, so I'd be down on torque and power all the time. Wifey's is also auto.
Diesel till I die
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 19 queries.