Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering column advice please.  (Read 2092 times)

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
Steering column advice please.
« on: 03 September 2021, 09:11:20 »

Hi, I have a 1996 omega elite estate 3.0, it was my parents car, they bought it new and it’s only covered 46000 miles from new! I nearly sold it last year but have decided to give it i light restoration just to make it roadworthy as a project to work on with my son.
I have a problem, I’m quite tall and always found it uncomfortable to drive because the steering wheel isn’t height adjustable and the wheel rested on my knees, I read the later models came with adjustable columns.
Can an adjustable column be retrofitted without any modification? If so is there a particular column Regards,
Simon.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Steering column advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2021, 09:15:33 »

As it happens we have a how2 on that....
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90531.0

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2021, 09:25:34 »

Excellent! Thank you very much.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2021, 13:02:09 »

A 3.0 of that age would most likely be an Elite, very surprised that the column isn't adjustable.

More like the lever for it has been unscrewed. It lives down and back from the indicator stalk, and is barely three inches long, so might not be immediately obvious...

If it is missing, then you'll see an oval rubber grommet where it goes.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2021, 20:10:56 »

A 3.0 of that age would most likely be an Elite, very surprised that the column isn't adjustable.

More like the lever for it has been unscrewed. It lives down and back from the indicator stalk, and is barely three inches long, so might not be immediately obvious...

I thought that all early Omegas had a fixed column irrespective of trim level ... supposedly to ensure the airbag hit you at the optimum angle   :-\

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2021, 20:48:22 »

My '95 elite had a fixed column which I upgraded to a tilt.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2021, 20:53:23 »

I thought that all early Omegas had a fixed column irrespective of trim level ... supposedly to ensure the airbag hit you at the optimum angle   :-\

That's right, same reason the last Cavaliers fitted with airbags and early Vectra B's didn't have it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2021, 22:44:06 »

Given that the majority of cars are built to safely accommodate 95th percentile of people.  :-\

Presumably the fixed position is roughly in the central adjuster position, so would politely suggest adjusting the seat to a more appropriate position before swapping out the column. And that's as a 6'2" person who tends to have the seat set high...

Put another way, I think the only time I ever moved an Omega wheel was to the lower position to make it easier to pull the cluster :-\

Having said all of that, one of the S Class gadgets is an automatic easy entry mode on the steering column, with memory so it always returns to same spot when you turn the ignition on. Which is nice.

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2021, 00:31:23 »

Thank you all for taking time to reply. I have been doing research, it appears all early omegas has fixed columns due to airbag angle.
And to add some additional info,
Mine is a 3.0 Elite estate.
I’m 6’ 4” tall, no matter what position the seat is in the steering wheel rests on my knees, it’s quite uncomfortable and also makes it awkward getting in and out.
I’m going to try starting it again on Sunday, if this fails then I’m going to scrap it, it has practically no value, I have another car (Capri) to restore and can’t afford to restore both, I have 2 other cars and a motorbike on the road the omega is completely unnecessary I’m just going to mess about with it, if it runs i might consider modifying it and occasionally using it. Don’t know yet.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2021, 08:50:18 »

Having said all of that, one of the S Class gadgets is an automatic easy entry mode on the steering column, with memory so it always returns to same spot when you turn the ignition on. Which is nice.
My ML does that  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2021, 09:52:24 »

Thank you all for taking time to reply. I have been doing research, it appears all early omegas has fixed columns due to airbag angle.
And to add some additional info,
Mine is a 3.0 Elite estate.
I’m 6’ 4” tall, no matter what position the seat is in the steering wheel rests on my knees, it’s quite uncomfortable and also makes it awkward getting in and out.
I’m going to try starting it again on Sunday, if this fails then I’m going to scrap it, it has practically no value, I have another car (Capri) to restore and can’t afford to restore both, I have 2 other cars and a motorbike on the road the omega is completely unnecessary I’m just going to mess about with it, if it runs i might consider modifying it and occasionally using it. Don’t know yet.
You make it sound like it points at your spleen.

In the high position you will find your knuckles hit the dash pad as you drive...

Oh, and later cars have airbags too ::)

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2021, 09:00:21 »

I didn’t want the wheel raised at a ridiculously high position, just off my knees at a comfortable driving position,  And to be honest I’m not sure I can even be bothered, it’s a worthless pile of junk.
Realistically what is it worth? Even roadworthy with an mot in a half reasonable condition it’s probably not worth £500 and to get it to roadworthy it needs a lot of work.
The only reason I’m even considering messing around with it is it’s my parents car, they bought it almost brand new, it was about 4 months old so,there is a little sentimental value and my son had show an interest in getting it going.
Here is a list of the major things that need looking at,
It has sat in the same position for nearly 11 years, only started 2 or 3 times,
It’s currently not running,
The tyres have perished,
The headlights have faded,
There is a coolant leak in the passenger footwell (probably the heater matrix)
The discs are rusted,
The callipers are at least in need of a overhaul but probably need replacing,
The brake hoses will need replacing
It’s 25 years old, all the rubber components will be perished
The paint has faded and there are a couple of surface rust points.
And the list goes on….
So, is it worth the bother when I have no need for it, i should have scrapped it years ago.
But today I’m going to drain any fuel that might be remaining, put a new fuel filter on, stick a gallon of fuel in, fit a new battery and see what happens.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2021, 09:32:50 »

The headlights have faded,
There is a coolant leak in the passenger footwell (probably the heater matrix)

Are you sure it's coolant in the footwell and not the scuttle tray (pollen filter area) blocked and overflowing with rain water.
The faded headlights are usually an easy fix with wet and dry, a spray bottle of water and car polish.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 September 2021, 10:43:43 »

Hi, the scuttle tray is blocked with moss, leaves dirt and whatever else has accumulated in there since it’s been standing, I’m going to sort that out later but the footwell is dry at the minute. When it was last driven by my mum about 11 years ago it was loosing coolant and the passenger footwell carpet was wet. It was not mine to mess about with at that point so I could only advise my mum what I suspected it was.
It was considered uneconomical to repair even back then when it did have some value and that’s why it ended up parked where it is and my mum has not driven a car since.
I’m going to have a look at it later, if it fires up I will stick some coolant in it and see what happens but I suspect either a failed matrix or perished hose under the dashboard. A very time consuming job unless I cut holes which I don’t want to do.
The headlights are likely beyond repair, the plastic has yellowed badly, it’s not the first time! They were rubbed down and polished about 12 years ago I think the best thing to do would be replace them if I chose to get it roadworthy.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 September 2021, 11:01:19 »

You sound like you're familiar with a bit of spanner twirling and, being as you're the one with the car in front of you, I would trust your own judgment.
Diesel till I die
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.