Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Lights Are Going Out....  (Read 4509 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: The Lights Are Going Out....
« Reply #15 on: 04 October 2021, 18:37:00 »

No power, no sales, no traffic lights, no ATM's so no cash, no lights, no telly, no heating, no life.
No Facebook or news?

I could live with that.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/facebook-instagram-down-whatsapp-latest-b1932071.html

;D ;D ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 October 2021, 18:57:56 »

No power, no sales, no traffic lights, no ATM's so no cash, no lights, no telly, no heating, no life.
No Facebook or news?

I could live with that.

We had 10 days away recently no phone & no internet it was great.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 October 2021, 19:06:01 »

I’m up in Cardigan at the moment terrible reception but as you say bliss👍
Laying a rubber road.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 October 2021, 09:23:05 »

.......................and we are being encouraged to go out and buy an electric vehicle!! ::) ::) ::) ::)

If we all did that the lights would certainly go out and take years to come back on fully.  1973 type rotational power cuts anyone??!!

That is where we are heading, especially since the damage to the power cable from Europe down here near Ashford! :o :o :( :(

I reckon we should all fit windmills wind turbines to our homes :D :D ;)
On a positive note a new cable has just been installed across the North Sea from Norway https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/norway-uk-hydropower-under-sea-cables-b1930521.html
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 October 2021, 09:39:50 »

We're an island, surrounded by strong tidal waters, yet we have to get hydro power from Norway. Why the hell can't we, as a nation, get our arses in gear and get to be self sufficient for ourselves. Or even sell any surplus to others.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 October 2021, 10:14:42 »

We're an island, surrounded by strong tidal waters, yet we have to get hydro power from Norway. Why the hell can't we, as a nation, get our arses in gear and get to be self sufficient for ourselves. Or even sell any surplus to others.

That's a different sort of Hydro.

The Noggie leccy is mostly Hydro Electric (and Wind). Either water falls as rain/snow into high mountain areas, or you pump it up there using leccy when it's cheap. Then you use the water to drive turbines on the way back down again when you need the leccy at peak time. The UK does have some hydro electricity capacity, mainly in Scotland and North Wales, but it only makes up 2.2% of the UK's generating capacity(1.9GW). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroelectricity_in_the_United_Kingdom

Tidal is a reliable source, but so far it's worked out far too expensive and environmentally controversial for any government to approve it. You also need to build at least 2 sites at locations where the tides are (roughly) 6 hours apart because tidal doesn't generate much at slack tide.

One of the UK's problems at the moment is that about 25% of our Nuclear power is offline for various reasons. https://www.edfenergy.com/energy/power-station/daily-statuses. It's mostly due to be back online by the end of October (if nothing else goes wrong) which will add another 2GW of baseload, and reduce the amount of Gas we burn by a similar amount. Winter is also normally windy-er so there should be more offshore energy generated.

You can see all the various sources of UK leccy here : https://gridwatch.co.uk/

Personally I think we need to double our nuclear capacity to supply much more of the base load, and then just use gas to supply the extra if/when the wind isn't blowing. Trouble is it's taken 20 years to get Hinkley Point C built, and Sizewell C isn't exactly storming ahead either so it's not a short term solution.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 October 2021, 10:34:02 »

The Noggie leccy is mostly Hydro Electric (and Wind). Either water falls as rain/snow into high mountain areas, or you pump it up there using leccy when it's cheap. Then you use the water to drive turbines on the way back down again when you need the leccy at peak time. The UK does have some hydro electricity capacity, mainly in Scotland and North Wales, but it only makes up 2.2% of the UK's generating capacity(1.9GW). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroelectricity_in_the_United_Kingdom

Tidal is a reliable source, but so far it's worked out far too expensive and environmentally controversial for any government to approve it. You also need to build at least 2 sites at locations where the tides are (roughly) 6 hours apart because tidal doesn't generate much at slack tide.

One of the UK's problems at the moment is that about 25% of our Nuclear power is offline for various reasons. https://www.edfenergy.com/energy/power-station/daily-statuses. It's mostly due to be back online by the end of October (if nothing else goes wrong) which will add another 2GW of baseload, and reduce the amount of Gas we burn by a similar amount. Winter is also normally windy-er so there should be more offshore energy generated.

Personally I think we need to double our nuclear capacity to supply much more of the base load, and then just use gas to supply the extra if/when the wind isn't blowing. Trouble is it's taken 20 years to get Hinkley Point C built, and Sizewell C isn't exactly storming ahead either so it's not a short term solution.

Thanks, great info :y :y

Yes, for decades now, the possibility of building a tidal generator in the Severn / Bristol Channel has been researched and proposed, but it has still not happened, due, I believe, to environmental objections.  The affect on marine life is apparently the main concern. ;)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 October 2021, 10:58:10 »

I read an article a while back which suggested that the easiest & quickest way to provide more nuclear generating capacity would be by building several mini nuclear generators based on the reactors used in submarines.

I don't know enough about the (presumably secret military) technology to know if it would be practical but the story has a ring of truth to it. Take a proven design and build many of them rather than trying to build one big prototype French design with money borrowed from the Chinese.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 October 2021, 11:51:44 »

I read an article a while back which suggested that the easiest & quickest way to provide more nuclear generating capacity would be by building several mini nuclear generators based on the reactors used in submarines.

I don't know enough about the (presumably secret military) technology to know if it would be practical but the story has a ring of truth to it. Take a proven design and build many of them rather than trying to build one big prototype French design with money borrowed from the Chinese.
https://www.rolls-royce.com/media/our-stories/innovation/2017/smr.aspx#challenge
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 October 2021, 13:04:26 »

A view from Sheepwash:)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 October 2021, 13:53:15 »

Gotcha, thanks for that explaination. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 October 2021, 15:29:49 »

All nuclear reactor power plants do is convert water to steam, (without burning anything), which drives turbines that turn generators. The steam gets cooled and condensed back into water. Nothing particularly military or secretive about it.

The issue is with what certain groups might want to do with the radio active material suddenly scattered all over the place.

Power stations are strategic targets, and having one in every town could cause issues.

That said, much of the US is nuclear powered, particularly those States whose topography lends itself to flooded valleys creating large, natural looking reservoirs for cooling water.

I think we're still some way off the Jetsons utopia where every house had a nuclear power station, but there is a logic to using small reactors to heat and power buildings.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 October 2021, 17:41:42 »

We've just had an actual power cut ;D
Lasted all of ten seconds, just long enough to make me have to reset the clocks on the appliances.  :(
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 October 2021, 18:32:18 »

We've just had an actual power cut ;D
Lasted all of ten seconds, just long enough to make me have to reset the clocks on the appliances.  :(
Gets dark early doesn't it :D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 October 2021, 07:17:21 »

Things are getting worse, I'm afraid. Wholesale gas prices jumped 20% in one day yesterday according to The Times, and Brent crude oil is $82 a barrel from $77 last week.
In the same article it was reckoned that the price cap would rise by ~30%, or £400 next April.

There are other forecasted situations away from energy that don't look good, either, but that's for another thread.
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.