Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Heat pumps  (Read 2963 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Heat pumps
« Reply #30 on: 19 October 2021, 19:41:04 »

As had been said before, what is the sense of little old Britain going carbon neutral when China, India, USA, Aus and others carry on pumping out pollutants regardless. Christ, i'm glad i'm old.  ;D
You'd best stay alive , we can't afford the gas bill to cremate you  :D
Ronny is getting skipped, like me.
Skip companies are quite strict when it comes to asbestos, fridges/freezers and dead bodies  :(

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 October 2021, 21:02:42 »

Bollix to all that crap. You simply cant beat a good old coal fire in winter. No chimney in my current house, but if I ever move again that will be a definite requirement.
Coal or logs burning in the front room is a wonderful thing. Couldnt give a toss what little Greta says.  :)

These boys would piss on my slippers if I even considered such a abomination as a heat pump....

PS you'll notice the stove is on full fire afterburner mode ........YEAH . :y
« Last Edit: 19 October 2021, 21:04:55 by Olympia5776 »

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 October 2021, 21:18:26 »

As had been said before, what is the sense of little old Britain going carbon neutral when China, India, USA, Aus and others carry on pumping out pollutants regardless. Christ, i'm glad i'm old.  ;D
You'd best stay alive , we can't afford the gas bill to cremate you  :D
Ronny is getting skipped, like me.
;D ;D ;D Just roll me me up in an old bit of carpet fella's. No one will notice.  ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 October 2021, 21:44:20 »

Bollix to all that crap. You simply cant beat a good old coal fire in winter. No chimney in my current house, but if I ever move again that will be a definite requirement.
Coal or logs burning in the front room is a wonderful thing. Couldnt give a toss what little Greta says.  :)

These boys would piss on my slippers if I even considered such a abomination as a heat pump....

PS you'll notice the stove is on full fire afterburner mode ........YEAH . :y
Burning politicians is carbon neutral  :P

lovely pair of rodent control sentinels making sure mice don't steal logs from the fire  8)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 October 2021, 21:58:32 »

lovely pair of rodent control sentinels making sure mice don't steal logs from the fire  8)
[/quote]

Thank you Dave , you should see the other three ..... ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 October 2021, 22:36:42 »

I'm not sure I'd go with a heat pump even in a new build. If you insulate the sh!t out of it, why not just install electric rads, it's not like it will take much energy to heat the place anyway.

The £5-10k you spend on an ashp, or way more than that on a gshp would buy you plenty of electricity.

If I were building a"green" building, I'd spend my money on battery storage and a decent solar setup for the roof.

Oh and a log burner.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 October 2021, 22:58:50 »

Bloke over the road from my Dad has got rid of his storage heaters ( remember them?) and had gas put in. I had a chat with one of the workmen. He said gas has a future as they are trialling adding Hydrogen to it to make it greener

Lightbulbs. The new ones may use less electric but they dont last very long but then who keeps receipts and dates their bulbs….. And they don’t cost a quid.

Heat pumps may just be another fad. Remember when diesel cars came along and became popular. It is all just consumerism. Lots of money to be made legally and illegally from the green revolution
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 October 2021, 00:24:25 »

Bloke over the road from my Dad has got rid of his storage heaters ( remember them?)

I grew up in a house with a log fire in the lounge, a small coal fire in the dining room and a SuperSer portable gas fire in our 1950's single skin lean to kitchen with large single glazed windows that streamed with condensation when it was cold outside!  There was no heating upstairs and ice on the inside of the windows was common in the winter!

I was about 14 or so when my Dad installed storage heaters, although the tight bugger only put one upstairs on the landing!   ;D. We all got colds for the first time that first winter in our warm(ish) house. :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 October 2021, 00:32:27 »

I know, I know, I was lucky!  ::)

Most of you grew up int oles int groond, got a sound thrashing before going tut school andt were appy!  ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 October 2021, 00:53:25 »

I’ve got an ancient Baxi  Bermuda  back boiler 547 I think, it’s very powerful and not too bad on gas, they will have to demolish my home before I let that go. It would be like taking my Evo from me and replacing it with a fkg mini🤬
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 October 2021, 07:23:21 »

170 million tons of molten gubbins has been chucked out of a hole on a little island in the last month...

And the Chinese will only go green when they run out of materials to burn and make things with...

So, if changing your light bulbs for ones half a watt lower makes you feel better then happy days, but if not, don't waste your time worrying about it... ;)
And, by the look of things, it's not just the Chinese

Climate change: Fossil fuel production set to soar over next decade https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58971131
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20 October 2021, 11:56:48 »

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 20 October 2021, 12:25:12 »

Interesting read about heat pumps in today's Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10109299/ROGER-BISBY-Heat-pumps-one-biggest-cons-Ive-seen-building-trade.html
Anyone in the trade will know this already, as will most people with any kind of functioning brain .
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 20 October 2021, 12:36:46 »

The companies that supply spares for gas boilers should be filling their warehouses, because anybody with any sense will maintain their gas boilers for as long as possible.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 20 October 2021, 17:43:45 »

Lightbulbs. The new ones may use less electric but they dont last very long but then who keeps receipts and dates their bulbs….. And they don’t cost a quid.

Modern LED lamps are pretty long lasting now ,unlike the first incarnations  ;)

If you have an erratic unstable electricity supply that won't help lamp life .
I have surge protection devices ,though some toys I wouldn't run from the back up genny .

Poundworld or poundland and similar shops in the UK have popular LED lamp types B22, E14 ,E27 , GU10 etc

for a quid   ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.