Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car cover recommendations  (Read 1109 times)

woolley11

• Intermediate Member
  • York
    • 3.0 MV6 auto
    • View Profile
Car cover recommendations
« on: 01 December 2021, 21:36:50 »

Looking to get a all weather car cover for my PFL MV6.

Seen a few but always mixed reviews

Anyone bought one that is waterproof/water resistant, breathable, scratch resistant etc

Seen Sealey and Kayme ones which seem ok
Omega 3.0 MV6 pfl
BMW Alpina B10 3.3 Touring
VW Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign, Triumph Dolomite Sprint

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: Car cover recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2021, 11:06:26 »

Hi,
I have one for my kit car that I got from car builder solutions. A good source, I think. They are about £50, price varies with size. If the car is outside, I estimate the cover will last no more than 2 years. The cheaper ones are UV'ed to shreds much quicker.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2021, 17:54:51 »

as always there will be mixed views and opinions but i will throw in mine !

absolutely no. never use a car cover. in my experience with them that was very short lived i would say they encourage condensation / damp for a start. and also unless the car is totally clean and dustfree would encourrage scratches especially outside.much better to just leave open to the elements. airflow is paramount if outside .also main problem outside also is brake disc rust which will get quite bad if car not used for a few months especially over winter.sure they will clean off and be useable and mot able but may end up with slight pitting.
this is not as much of an issue if garaged but not many of us have the luxury of a damp free garage either.the concrete ones can be bad and even wooden ones if not enough ventilation.

i use all mine all year round and this helps keep the discs clean,battery charged and tyres good.although after using during winter they need a good hosing off underneath

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2021, 18:26:54 »

Also, if you're using the cover purely to stop you having to de-ice in the morning, you have to make sure the car is really dry or the cover will freeze to the car.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2021, 20:47:47 »

Luckily I am able to garage our cars but our caravan is in a field in storage, I asked about a cover when I bought the caravan & was advised against it as it causes more harm than good condensation etc I presume that the same applies to a car.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2021, 17:45:54 »

I bought a "Favoto" branded one for the little VW UP and waterproof and has a slight soft fleece lining so gentle on paint.

I waxed car before putting under cover, and I took off few weeks ago to give car a run and it's just like it was when covered up with no water and dry.

Search for "Favoto Car Cover" and 5 layers on Amazon.  I got a black one so not quite as in yer face and blends in nicely at night as car on drive as Daughter at Uni so not using car ;)

I also got an extra strap so search nylon webbing and both go completely around car, and cover has fixings by the wheels so can tie to alloys and elasticated at the ends.

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • 2 Omega Caravans 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2021, 08:16:53 »

I got one from this company

https://www.carscovers.co.uk/VAUXHALL-CAR-COVERS/OMEGA-CAR-COVER-1994-2003.html

It fitted really well. They have different types depending on your type of storage.

Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2021, 18:08:42 »

Just bought 2 x Sealey 3 layer all seasons XL cover, one for the Senator and one for the Omega, I need another one now as I have just bought another omega  :D

Yet to form a proper opinion on how well it's working, says it's weather proof and 3 layer breathable material, and has 3 under harnesses with clips to stop it blowing away (The sheet not the car!). It did survive the last bowt of storminess from Arwin, didn't blow away, and that's some feat in West Scotland (I've seen whole plastic tables uplifted and speared by outside concrete canopy stand on a typical winters night), even though the clips for the underneath straps are a bit flimsy.

Model number is SCCXL, which is the what you'll need for an omega sized car.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.