Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sticky surfaces  (Read 858 times)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
Sticky surfaces
« on: 24 March 2022, 12:32:16 »

What is the latest suggestions to clean the sticky surfaces on the coatings of trim parts etc.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky surfaces
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2022, 13:26:15 »

Tarspot remover, Ambersil foaming upholstery cleaner, (Amberclens if you can get it) and effort.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2022, 14:19:16 »

If they are really bad i've successfully used oven cleaner (the spray on type), It was a last ditch attempt and the results were good. I was expecting it to remove the rubber coating but it didn't.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2022, 16:05:19 »

I have tried Ambersil foaming upholstery cleaner, and Tarspot remover without much success personally.
I have also tried meths, brake cleaner, 'sticky stuff' remover, and even petrol, but the problem then is that anything too harsh takes the white symbol off switches (boot release button as an example).
But......I have recently tried something that works a treat, and cleans off the sticky 'soft touch' coating, without damaging the plastic surface underneath. It leaves the hard plastic satin finish underneath looking brand new, nice and smooth to the touch, without any stickiness whatsoever, without removing any switch symbol.
It is Lidl's 'Cien' nail varnish remover. They do two types; the standard acetone nail varnish remover in a blue bottle, but also one for acrylic nails in a pink bottle, which is not as harsh. It also has a handy dished push dispenser on the top which holds the fluid to dab your cloth or cotton bud into.
I have recently done door window / mirr or switches, light / fog light switches and boot release buttons, and they look a treat. It didn't damage or remove the relative symbols on them either, which harsher cleaners can.
Others may have their favourites, but having tried all the others recommended, this product certainly worked better on mine with exceptionally good results :y
It is important however to use the pink version for acrylic nails  :D
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2022, 18:14:07 »

Those two things are all I have ever used, with Terry cloths or microfibre cloths.

It takes time and patience, but the results have always been worth the effort.

If they are really skanky, then a soak in hot water might assist the process. But again that involves time as you have to dismantle the switchches in order to clean them properly.

Perhaps that explains the difference in results  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2022, 19:56:31 »

I think the benefit of the Lidl Cien acrylic (pink) nail varnish remover is that it does the job a lot faster, without damaging the components, with less apparent effort.
I removed the light switch from the dash, and then removed the individual fog light switches from it in order to clean the surfaces thoroughly. The boot release button just pulls out and is a lot easier to to clean - less than 5 minutes.
The window / mirror switches really need the door card removing to assist the release of the wiring plug due to the length of spare loom, and the way it's routed, but once off the vehicle, cleaning it satisfactorily with the Lidl stuff is remarkably quick and easy.
Each to their own preferred method of course.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2022, 09:51:34 »

Tried the Lidl acrylic pink nail varnish remover it certainly works the only part that showed some damage was the mirror switch where it  removed the black surface on the sharp edge. :y

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2022, 14:06:36 »

I think with any suitable cleaner, you have to go easy on any of the 'sharper' raised edges, but it certainly works better than any other suggested product imho.
I when a small section of a raised edge on my mirror switch was affected the same way in my experimental cleaning, I used some blackboard paint to touch it in, and it is now barely noticeable.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2022, 14:13:24 by johnnydog »

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2022, 09:10:02 »

Elbow Grease, non solvent and about a quid to buy. it dissolves that crappy silicone cockpit shine that every one used way back. Soak the switch faces in a shallow tray for about an hour at least (but not the complete switch body)and it breaks it down and  gives a milky appearance. Then a microfibre cloth soaked in the Elbow Grease and the odd gentle scraping with your finger nails will get rid of the cockpit shine for good without affecting the coating. I've done sixty plus switches to date and they are as good as new....and yes I know I'm a klepto, but you can never have enough switches :D ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.