Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Sports car for an old git  (Read 6333 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: Sports car for an old git
« Reply #60 on: 04 April 2022, 11:45:08 »

Do you ever wish that you'd kept your mouth shut and not said anything?  ::)

However, various questions arose and what leaped out at me was the fact that I don't actually drive much. Sometimes a week or even more go by and I don't get into the car. We have two cars. I drive mine now and again just to give it a run, I don't actually go anywhere.

Shopping? I walk
Pub or out for a meal? I walk
Bits & pieces? Walk
Stuff I can't get locally? Online & home delivery

I still love the idea of a sports car, but it would be a toy. I don't do my own repairs or tinkering, so that's out. Not interested in pulling or competing with boy racers. Not bothered about top speeds and 0-60 figures, my XC70 is enough for me. Posing? Who to? So, just because . . .

I've just talked myself out of the whole idea. Everybody's input is greatly appreciated.

BUT, if I saw a cheap Crossfire, I may well still just buy it, just for the hell of it    ;D

Those are more or less my sentiments entirely, same here two cars which don't get used much wifey was interested in an MGF she saw locally a few months back, fortunately talked her out of it don't want to change either of ours & definitely don't want a third vehicle been there done that.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 04 April 2022, 12:22:53 »

Do you ever wish that you'd kept your mouth shut and not said anything?  ::)

However, various questions arose and what leaped out at me was the fact that I don't actually drive much. Sometimes a week or even more go by and I don't get into the car. We have two cars. I drive mine now and again just to give it a run, I don't actually go anywhere.

Shopping? I walk
Pub or out for a meal? I walk
Bits & pieces? Walk
Stuff I can't get locally? Online & home delivery

I still love the idea of a sports car, but it would be a toy. I don't do my own repairs or tinkering, so that's out. Not interested in pulling or competing with boy racers. Not bothered about top speeds and 0-60 figures, my XC70 is enough for me. Posing? Who to? So, just because . . .

I've just talked myself out of the whole idea. Everybody's input is greatly appreciated.

BUT, if I saw a cheap Crossfire, I may well still just buy it, just for the hell of it    ;D
If there is a crossfire for sale not too far away, do and sit in it and drive it. You'll either buy it or consider yourself a stupid git for ever considering it.
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 04 April 2022, 12:54:46 »

You'll either buy it or consider yourself a stupid git for ever considering it.
Or consider yourself a stupid git, but buy it anyway because you fancy it...
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 04 April 2022, 14:13:28 »

You only live once and if you can afford it, do it.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 04 April 2022, 14:14:16 »

I went coupe rather than convertible (having driven both lots). Very much love it and use it, don't regret the purchase at all
I had my mid life crisis in my twenties, but went down the 2 wheel route instead ;D

Never had the urge to go for two wheel death, lost to many people I know from them

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 04 April 2022, 16:36:05 »

So did I, but it never stopped me. I think like a lot of things, once you get them under your skin they are there for good.
Ive been off them for over 10 years now, but still miss them.
Its hard to explain how quick and exciting a fast bike is to someone who hasnt ridden them.
The fastest of fast cars dont even come close for an adrenalin rush.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 04 April 2022, 17:40:59 »

I went coupe rather than convertible (having driven both lots). Very much love it and use it, don't regret the purchase at all
I had my mid life crisis in my twenties, but went down the 2 wheel route instead ;D

Never had the urge to go for two wheel death, lost to many people I know from them
It is indeed true that mistakes tend to hurt more. Whether or not those mistakes are your own, or from car drivers.

But when the weather is perfect, and the roads are good, cars don't even come close in the thrill stakes....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 04 April 2022, 17:57:10 »

So did I, but it never stopped me. I think like a lot of things, once you get them under your skin they are there for good.
Ive been off them for over 10 years now, but still miss them.
Its hard to explain how quick and exciting a fast bike is to someone who hasnt ridden them.
The fastest of fast cars dont even come close for an adrenalin rush.
I still have to cross the road when walking into town, so I cant see in the windows of the bike shop.  As I know I could be so easily swayed....   ...although being more "mature", I suspect I wouldn't be drooling over the R1s or Fireblades now, but sometime a big engine but less sports oriented.

I never went much on top end.  In fact I've driven cars a lot faster than I've ridden bikes.  I can't recall ever going much above 140 on a bike.  Most of the time it was probably below a ton ish.  But the rush coming off a roundabout and getting it to those speeds, and down again for the next roundabout, yeah, that works for me...

I was out with the useless student one day, I think we'd been for a particular pleasant ride around the Cotswolds, and was coming home on a dual carriageway.  He was absolutely flat out on his GS, and I went sailing past him just as a car pulled into the outside lane.  My back wheel was in the air, and the front, having run out of suspension, was bouncing on the road as I'm trying to shed at least 70mph.  To this day I have no idea if i actually touched her bumper or not, but I know the silly bint was taught some new words as I got alongside her.  All to tunnie's amusement. Bastid.

Those occasional reminders can be useful when you are so vulnerable.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 04 April 2022, 18:10:15 »

The Crossfire is an eclectic choice, but as said, it is your choice. Although the only reason not to buy an SLK it's that you don't like the way the outside looks or the top. The interior is identical.

I have considered buying a few of my suggestions, but thus far have resisted, although both SLKs and CLKs are cheap enough to be tempting.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 04 April 2022, 18:12:03 »

Similar here. Ridden R1,s Fireblades etc. and loved them. If I were to give in to temptation now it would probably be something like a 1200 Bandit.
Hard on the throttle out of 2nd or 3rd gear bends with the rear tyre squirming and begging for mercy cant be matched in a car.
Its the ultimate thrill imo.
I do sometimes think about all the near misses as Im dropping off to sleep at night, which helps dilute the temptation.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 04 April 2022, 18:18:08 »

Similar here. Ridden R1,s Fireblades etc. and loved them. If I were to give in to temptation now it would probably be something like a 1200 Bandit.
Hard on the throttle out of 2nd or 3rd gear bends with the rear tyre squirming and begging for mercy cant be matched in a car.
I do sometimes think about all the near misses as Im dropping off to sleep at night, which helps dilute the temptation.
Stupid old fool, stick to four wheels, bones don't heal very well at your age  ;D
Diesel till I die

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 04 April 2022, 18:32:53 »

Stupid old fool, stick to four wheels, bones don't heal very well at your age  ;D

I have seen Smart cars fitted with Hayabusa engines and even turbo charged versions. ::) ::) :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 04 April 2022, 18:56:50 »

I have seen Smart cars fitted with Hayabusa engines and even turbo charged versions. ::) ::) :y
And?
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 04 April 2022, 18:58:11 »

The dealer I bought my V8 Merc from has a 2005 crossfire on his website at the moment 1 lady owner & 74,000 miles with history, no price on it at present if you're interested have a look at MTSV.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 04 April 2022, 19:00:49 »

Don’t temp him damn it🔥 ;D
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.