Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coolant level switch  (Read 962 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Coolant level switch
« on: 03 April 2007, 08:50:11 »

Anyone know how it works?

Been looking at the TD one, but cannot see how the moving float affects the switch. I have removed float, but it just slots over a static rod.  Should the rod move up and down a bit as well?
Grumpy old man

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant level switch
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2007, 09:08:14 »

You will probably find that the float is in fact a magnet, with a reed switch inside of the static part.  If you have dismantled it, be carefull as the magnet is at one end only and if you put it back on upside down then it wont work.  Use your multimeter to check it out for continuity.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2007, 09:13:16 »

You will probably find that the float is in fact a magnet, with a reed switch inside of the static part.  If you have dismantled it, be carefull as the magnet is at one end only and if you put it back on upside down then it wont work.  Use your multimeter to check it out for continuity.
The float very obviously only goes on one way up.  On sign of magnet underneath, unless its embedded completely in the float.

Shame I don't have a magnet, as I could put it near the connector on MV6 to prove if it is a reed or hall type switch.

Thanks for the suggestion - I didn't think of that, I had it in my head it must be mechanical switch :y
Grumpy old man

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2007, 09:21:03 »

Yes the magnet will be embedded.  Should be able to test with a spare magnet.  Can't see it being a hall efect - too complicated for such a simple job.  Used to use them as level sensors on photo processing machines.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2007, 09:29:32 »

Yes the magnet will be embedded.  Should be able to test with a spare magnet.  Can't see it being a hall efect - too complicated for such a simple job.  Used to use them as level sensors on photo processing machines.
Agreed, Hall will be overkill, reed switch will do nicely, and the (relatively) slow response is not an issue.

Anyone know how the switch/connector comes off?
Grumpy old man

DaveL

• Omega Knight
  • Nr. Cupar, Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2007, 12:00:10 »

Agreed, Hall will be overkill, reed switch will do nicely, and the (relatively) slow response is not an issue.

Anyone know how the switch/connector comes off?

If it is any thing like the one fitted into the Carlton you just pull the  connector gently away from the holder.

Can confirm that the float does have a magnet inside to operated the reed switch in the stalk. :)
 8-)
DaveL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.