Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High Level Brake Light  (Read 1393 times)

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
High Level Brake Light
« on: 04 October 2006, 06:49:15 »

Hi all
Could anyone help me with my small problem i have had BRAKE LIGHT CHECK on the mid intermittently so i checked bulbs drivers side was a bit blackish but was lit when i tested it WIFE pressed pedal so i changed both but noticed the high level was very dim at first i thought earth fault but thought main ones would not be working as they were very bright as anyone come across this before .
There is a tide in the affairs of man if taken at the flood will lead on to greater things

STMO123

Re: High Level Brake Light
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2006, 07:18:12 »

Are you using bulbs with the correct rating. Omegas seem To be very fussy about things like that :-?

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2006, 09:37:10 »

You say the rear brake lights work fine since the bulb change but the high level looks dims, have you checked the connection to the loom, I'm assuming your was factory fitted.

The connector to the loom should be under the plastic panel which runs across the top of the rear window, the connector should be on the passenger side.

If too dim try running a fresh cable to the High level brake light and wire to one of the rear clusters this is what I did and it works perfectly. Could be a case of the existing cable has got kinked or something.

HTH :)

« Last Edit: 04 October 2006, 09:38:10 by nixoro »

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2006, 11:29:48 »

Thanks for that idea took it of but found 12 volt at wire so i gave it a bit of a tap and it came a bit brighter not fully but there were loads of leds that are not working so it looks like the scrappy for new light i suppose new will need to remortgage house

Robert
There is a tide in the affairs of man if taken at the flood will lead on to greater things

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2006, 11:54:17 »

Thanks for that idea took it of but found 12 volt at wire so i gave it a bit of a tap and it came a bit brighter not fully but there were loads of leds that are not working so it looks like the scrappy for new light i suppose new will need to remortgage house

Robert

Good luck with the hunt for a replacement, I managed to get my hands on one from a member on here, worth looking to see if anyone is breaking an omega at the moment there maybe one available.

*edit* been looking on ebay and found the brake light centre section it might be of use to you.

Ebay link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-ELITE-CDX-REAR-THIRD-BRAKE-LIGHT_W0QQitemZ300021047342QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10404QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HTH :)
« Last Edit: 04 October 2006, 13:43:59 by nixoro »

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2006, 07:05:26 »

hi all
I havent sourced a high level light so decided to take it to bits there a 5 resistors on the board 4 showed continuity 0 on meter first one was open so i bridged it with  a peice of wire and then applied power and it worked my question is will it be ok to run it like this as they are all showing 0 resistance on meter and after refitted is now working perfectlly

Robert

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2006, 15:48:14 »

I'd be tempted to replace like with like rather than just bridge them out mate or it will be a very short bright life for the leds.
The resistors will be pence to buy so just replace the lot if you have any doubts.
What colour code is marked on them?
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2006, 16:43:50 »

Just Further to excellent advice recieved i took out the board again and took it to my local TV repair man who confirmmed to me that the 'resistor' that i thought blown was in fact a diode the resistors all checked out ok he replaced the diode in about 2 mins while i stood and watched him charged me nothing but went on to say its only protection for being coupled wrong way and my repair would have lasted indefinatly well chuffed

Robert

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2006, 11:28:22 »

Good to hear you got it sorted  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2006, 12:00:56 »

Just Further to excellent advice recieved i took out the board again and took it to my local TV repair man who confirmmed to me that the 'resistor' that i thought blown was in fact a diode the resistors all checked out ok he replaced the diode in about 2 mins while i stood and watched him charged me nothing but went on to say its only protection for being coupled wrong way and my repair would have lasted indefinatly well chuffed

Robert

Typical TV repair man comment....it also protects the LED from transients to (which can be negative from inductive loads like bulbs)...something they dont like, so no, it wouldn't have lasted as the LEDs would have eventualy gone pop!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.