Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A "technicians" diary  (Read 13247 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: A "technicians" diary
« Reply #90 on: 23 June 2017, 20:38:18 »

😂😂😂 let me find out.... :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 23 June 2017, 20:53:45 »

Not to mention the 25 in NA and turbo forms and Decorated ;)

Don't forget to add Delorean to the list of losers with it.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 23 June 2017, 20:54:17 »

It's from the Renault Alpine GTA V6.....

Anyone remember this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Alpine_GTA/A610
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 23 June 2017, 20:58:27 »

That's what my stupid phone turned into Decorated ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 27 June 2017, 21:25:37 »

I bloody hate modern cars 😩😩😩😩😩 lol

So had this 14 plate Merc C220 AMG in. Lovely motor. In for a couple of tyres and rear discs and pads.

The tyres were 245/45/18 (I think) and they were runflats. Sadly our tyre machine won't cope with those  ;D so we get a local tyre place out to fit them for us. Money for doing nothing  :y

Anyway I had a quick look at the calipers on the rear and they have the electric motor. On every car I've ever done with those on you plug in the computer to the OBD, tell it you're doing brakes, you replace the brakes and then go back in to the computer and it pushes the pistons up against the pads. I tried to do this first of all....

So the scanner will auto detect the car. And then go in to the electric park brake section....

Once in here there's normally a section to click on to say "fit rear brakes" or something like that. After ten minutes of searching there was nothing 😩😩😩

Besides that the parts that turned up were all wrong. Grrrr.

So got the right parts from Mercedes (unavailable anywhere else) and found out that to set up the rear brakes.... you go in to the cars iDrive system (or Mercedes' equivalent) and do it that way. That's a new one on me! I wonder what would happen if a customer accidentally chose this function  ???

Anyway finally got them done...

Spring. 2 x 7mm allens. 2 x 18mm for the calliper bracket. And t30 for the disc screw. Once you've told the car you're doing brakes you can just push the piston back as opposed to winding it in.  :y

Then had 2 AC regasses and a waiter for 4 tyres. I hate fitting tyres  ;D only cos I'm lazy  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 28 June 2017, 08:02:10 »

They have major issues with the alloy block corroding through, the valley of doom!

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 28 June 2017, 19:48:04 »

Had a Fiesta in today with noisy auxiliary drive. Stupid stretchy belts. One for PAS. The main one drives the AC, alternator and the water pump. However I have a good trick for getting these belts on 8)

To get them off you simply cut them with a knife. I checked the pulleys and they were all good.

So to get these belts on there's a special tool that's supposed to use. I've tried to use it a couple of times and they're shite imo.

So... take top alternator bolt off. Top alternator nut. And also remove the stud for the nut. Take OSF headlight out and you'll have perfect access to the bottom alternator bolt. Loosen this and the alternator will flop down.....

A pic of the bottom alternator bolt to be loosened....

Then route your new belt....

And being careful use a big bar to lever the alternator in place. Start the top bolt (I found it easier to start the stud but it doesn't matter) then tighten all ya bolts  :y be careful to get the top bolt started nicely and don't cross thread it. Obviously  :y

Then the PAS belt. Get it on the pas pump. Then as much over the crank as possible. Jam a screw driver at an angle to stop the belt coming off. Then turn the crank and watch your belt slot in place. This to me is a two person job. But achievable I suppose if you're on your own. I would want a second person though. Makes it much easier.

Soooooooo

On to a condenser on a 13 plate Megane.

Surprisingly very easy job. Recovered any refrigerant from the system. Then undertray off. Front bumper off. NSF headlight out. Plastic trim that the headlight sits on out. Then 2 x 10mm out for the lines. Undo connector to the pressure switch and it's out.

The headlight has to come out because there is a large plastic piece that over hangs where the condenser sits. I've removed condenser in this pic.

Condenser.

The two line going in to the condenser. The rubber o rings didn't look so good...

So replaced them with ones from our generic set....

Special o rings just for R134a. I just put a little bit of PAG oil on them to lube them up before reassembly and I've not had a problem yet  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 28 June 2017, 20:27:32 »

What year/engine was the fiesta webby ? wifes 04 1.25 fiesta could do with a new belt and it's a stretchy job
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 28 June 2017, 20:37:55 »

It was a 2004 duratec 1.4. The type that has the bloody great air box over the engine   :y

Looking at the kit the tool might work well for the PAS belt. But I'd use my method for the main beltas it's just a lot of faffing  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 28 June 2017, 20:46:26 »

You can buy the special tools for these silly belts.

However...if you buy the little bit more expensive Conti kit it comes with them. I just so happen to have taken the tools and the instruction manual home  ::) ;D"........

And the tools....

Hth mate  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 30 June 2017, 19:55:53 »

Had this old motor in today....

I say old but it's the same age as my Omega; clearly not loved as much though.

So MOT failed. 2 x rear brake hoses. Washers providing insufficient washer fluid. And a couple of other miscellaneous bits.

I took on the brake hoses first. The NSR hose came off nice and easy....

Loosen the 14mm to the calliper. And the 11mm brake line fixing to the hose. The brake line fitting span independently of the brake line so I ran that out. Then twisted the old hose off the calliper. And quickly fitted new hose. Firstly wound it in to the calliper and tightened it. Then screwed the fitting in to the new hose. A can full of grease on the metal parts later and job done...

Same couldn't be said of the other side.  ;D the brake line fitting when turned was twisting the brake line with it. Normally I find this happens when the original steel lines have that plastic coating on. My solution: "kiss" it with a bit of heat. And have a bucket of water ready  ;D

However in this case the line had been replaced in the past and the copper line had welded itself to the fitting. There was a join up ahead so my boss (he'd chosen this side  ;D) twisted the 11mm fitting 'til it broke. Then fitted a new brake line. Took him about ten minutes to make and fit.... it'd have taken me around an hour  ;D I'm not the quickest (or indeed the best at brake lines but I can do them. I just don't like them particularly).

Sooooooooo

Next item on the fail sheet. Washers providing insufficient washer fluid.

When you activated the washers it dribbled out. BUT. there seemed to be a pool of foam created just behind the washer jet on the near side. I thought I'd take a look at that first  ;)

So the washer fluid reservoir was at the front of the engine bay on the near side. I followed the washer lines up and of course it fed the near side washer jet first followed in series by the offside jet.

The washer jets unclipped very easily from the bonnet. But there was this big stupid plastic thing in the way....

It was held on by two x Phillips head screws (you can see one in the pic) and a load of plastic clips. I took it off.............and still have no idea what it's for and why it was there  :-\ ;D

So with that heap of shite out the way I found the issue. The near side washer jet had broken from the T-piece supplying it with washer fluid. It was an interference fit. And as it no longer "interfered"  ;D I made a beautiful repair  8) (in my opinion of course  ;))

Got some heat shrink. Melted it on the washer jet. It then slid in beautifully snug in to the T-piece. And of course now that had stopped leaking it was feeding full fluid to the offside also. Job done. I did however recommend that if it started doing that in the future then a new T-piece and/or washer jet may be needed. But for now..... a beautiful repair   ;D

Difficult to see but here's a pic of the plastic washer jet assembly....

Just unclips and pops out.  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 30 June 2017, 20:12:46 »

Ps guys. Are you seeing my photos or are they coming up with a message saying I need to update my account to share the photos? Lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 30 June 2017, 20:22:07 »

Ps guys. Are you seeing my photos or are they coming up with a message saying I need to update my account to share the photos? Lol
You need to update your account lol ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 30 June 2017, 20:27:30 »

You need to update your account lol ::)

Hmmm, just went to a website asking for my cred. card details. Errrr no thanks. ill get something else instead  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.