Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 1999 CDX SAT-NAV question  (Read 5619 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 1999 CDX SAT-NAV question
« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2007, 15:44:34 »

Most handhelds have some form of dead reckoning, but obviously very basic.

There are only 2 main digital mapping companies, Navteq and Teleatlas, so the maps will be broadly similar.

I don't buy this 'the SatNav sent me up a bridle path' 'dangle berries'. Firstly, whilst there are mapping errors (which will affect all using same maps), in all the time I've been using PDA based SatNav (around 5yrs), it has never sent me up an inpassable road/track.  It may have tried a no entry.  BUT, even if it did try to sent me up a bridle path, surely anyone over the age of 5 would have the sense to ignore the instruction?

I agree something needs to be done about portable units, esp mounting.  The number using windscreen mounts, usually mounted right in field of view, so not only blocking vision, but very distracting as well...
Grumpy old man

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
  • Woke up this morning a post whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 December 2007, 15:56:53 »

And here is something that Tomtom and the like can only dream about.:

The Panasonic system i have yet to fit in the hundy, actually 'learns'

What I mean by this is that if you ask it to calculate a route and you then run this route a couple of times but deviate from it's 'best' route then it actually changes it's route to yours.
Hotel21 wrote 'Its doubtfull in the extreme if it is the head gasket at fault.  If it were burning 5 litres per week the car would leave a smokescreen behind it!'

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #17 on: 29 December 2007, 17:19:33 »

Correct (almost!) that there are only two major mapping companies and the maps are indeed similar, however, the difference is the ability to process via a preferred road type for the calculated route, rather than simply a track that does go from a to b. If you have ever seen a HGV Haulage Road atlas, then you will understand better, as although the maps are similar, only certain types of road are deemed navigable.

If you have never been stuck with your sat nav - excellent! However, I could give you details ona daily basis of the lorry drivers down here who are guided down a two way road for a few miles to discover that there are no passing places if there is any traffic coming the other way. Sure you could get an Artic down the road with care, but not if a cyclist was coming the other way and you did`t want to run them down. A portable sat nav would see this as a viable route, wheras the In Car one would see it as an optional route if the larger road and preferred route could not be found. Thats the difference.

And Yes Jules, you are correct about the "Learning" most In Car systems will build up a certain amount of Local Knowledge of the roads you travel down most and the types of road you use most frequently and use this for future route guidance. My Personal favourite is the Blaupunkt DX-V - and for the first three months of use was one of the worst user interfaces around, but now it has built up knowledge of my style of driving, its now coming into its own. The Panasonic is also very similar, after a few months use, it suddenly becomes exceptionally good at guidance. I ran a Tom Tom, a Garmin and a Blaupunkt DX-V simultaneously on a 3200 mile route I drove between the UK and Poland and gave some stunning results - but that is another story completely.

As I previously said, I`m not knocking the Tom Toms, as they are very good at what they do, but simply do not compare to a good In Car system.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 December 2007, 17:31:07 »

Correct (almost!) that there are only two major mapping companies and the maps are indeed similar, however, the difference is the ability to process via a preferred road type for the calculated route, rather than simply a track that does go from a to b. If you have ever seen a HGV Haulage Road atlas, then you will understand better, as although the maps are similar, only certain types of road are deemed navigable.

If you have never been stuck with your sat nav - excellent! However, I could give you details ona daily basis of the lorry drivers down here who are guided down a two way road for a few miles to discover that there are no passing places if there is any traffic coming the other way. Sure you could get an Artic down the road with care, but not if a cyclist was coming the other way and you did`t want to run them down. A portable sat nav would see this as a viable route, wheras the In Car one would see it as an optional route if the larger road and preferred route could not be found. Thats the difference.
Ah, yes, I was talking from a car point of view, not HGV. Portable (or car factory systems for that matter) are unsuitable for HGV/PSV etc.

As said, no portable system (or car based system either) has never sent me up an unpassable track. The worse it has tried is send me up a no-entry.

But the fact remains that it is a driver aid, not mandatory instructions, and should be treated as such. That goes for factory systems and portables.

The most impressive system I have seen factory fit is one in the (upmarket models) Discovery 3, think its VDO/Siemens.  Nice easy to use, and touchscreen.  Probably the worse of the 'modern' 'enhanced' ones is the one fitted in the BMW X5, which is clunky and awkward.

For portables, I think TomTom wins on ease and features.

Not had much experience of aftermarket systems lately, so no comments
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #19 on: 29 December 2007, 17:42:18 »

But the fact remains that it is a driver aid, not mandatory instructions, and should be treated as such. That goes for factory systems and portables.

Ah !  At Last !  Spread the word and my job will be a whole lot easier !

Here endeth the lesson - my work here is done !!
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2007, 17:54:12 »

Ah !  At Last !  Spread the word and my job will be a whole lot easier !

Here endeth the lesson - my work here is done !!
LOL, it amazes me that anyone could think otherwise.

I've seen the usual trash TV type reports where people get stuck up footpaths and bridleways.  You have to wonder, 10 million sperm, and that one was the fastest....
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2007, 18:08:14 »

10 million sperm, and that one was the fastest....

But which navigation system did it use? . . . . .
www.dndservices.co.uk

dippydave

• Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
  • how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 January 2008, 18:11:34 »

Hi jules, just found this post while looking for a map to update my carin before bothering to reinstall it, so hope my info isn't too late to be of use!

yes i had the factory fitted carin in my previous '99 3.0 elite, and when it went to the scrapper i took the time to remove it!! now thinking of putting it in my current motor, but only if i can update the mapping. it was fantastic at getting me home after using old fashioned directions and maps to get to places. Also it worked well as an estimate of how long to get to a destination! got me round some jams as well. i've never used a tomtom, but carin seems more discreet, less nickable, and was good enough!

sorry if i get distracted later on......

Hate Tom Toms  :-/

So to anyone with a 1999 mini-facelift Carin:

Does the CD-Unit mount in the boot or the glovebox ?
Mine was in the boot. Where the 5th headrest sits. it's not a small unit but you might be able to fit in glove box if you really wanted.

Is it controlled by a fixed or removable remote?
i had a fixed knob, just to the left of the handbrake. hole necessary! it had a push-click and rotated to select stuff

Is there a GPS receiver in the ariel on the roof ? (Radio has ONSTAR)
i think the roof aerial is just for the phone. I had my satnav receiver behind the dash, simple enough to get to following mr haynes!

I know the CCRT700 can provide the sat nav audio, but does the built-in GID support a sat-nav input ?
didn't know the radio could provide audio - i had a separate small speaker in the passenger footwell. ps what's a GID?!

Does anyone know the part-code for the screen that goes where the cuddy is ?
not off the top of my head - the gear is boxed in the loft at the moment!

Does anyone have the 'front loom' and or scree for sale ?
the loom was tricky to get from round the glove box but managable eventually. if i can't get updated maps then my stuff will be for sale sometime....

Cheers for taking the time to answer.

thought i'd put my answers in lovely blue :)

It has been said that Satnavs will do for Geography learning what calculators have done for Maths - ie we'll be knackered without em in da future! Imagine what you'd do if the thing broke down and you didn't know how to use or even own a map! And it might mean the end of all funny roadsigns! my cousin won't take directions of anybody now he has a tomtom - he follows it rigidly!
As for conversations down the pub -
"oh which way did you go mate? i followed the A452 then the A5, missed out all the bottlenecks"  :)
"nah you should've took the A4097 then the A38 mate, been loads quicker"  ;D
" i took the scenic A4041 and B52, much nicer"  8-)
" dunno, i just followed the sat nav"   :-/

:-X

hmmm.
[size=9]PS don't quote the above route directions, i made them up and probably the roads don't even meet!!![/size]
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2008, 17:53:54 »

This is interesting, as when I installed the Navi system in my Omega I had to configure it so that it knew the angle of installation of the unit -- so the gyroscope knows what the inclination angle is relative to the ground. A little gadget was supplied to determine this, easy enough. Likewise you have to drive around for a while to allow it to calibrate the speed pulses, presumably it matches these to the GPS signals to then allow it to determine the distance travelled for each pulse.

Mine also had a wire to connect to the reverse light so it would know when you're reversing! I didn't bother though, too much effort considering I don't make a habit of reversing for any major distance! Didn't seem to cause any problem.

What exactly does it calculate using the gyroscope? I guess it knows when you're going uphill etc, but how does this help?

I did very much like the built-in navi. As mentioned, no problems with poor GPS signals, and I also liked the way it faded the music to the back speakers when making an announcement. I also have a TomTom, and while it's very useful for swapping between cars (I used it on holiday doing an 800 mile road trip in California), the built-in is much more convenient.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 January 2008, 18:06:02 »

...... and I also liked the way it faded the music to the back speakers when making an announcement......

Mmm? My factory fit sat-nav uses a tuppeny ha'penny speaker in the passenger footwell. If you look in the hand book for the CCRT700 as fitted to mine it mentions 'EXT.VOL' An external source can be fitted to the CCRT700(for example a navigation system)
but according to Vauxahll you can't connect the two?  :-?  :-?  :-?
What do you know that Vauxhall doesn't?  :y

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 January 2008, 18:14:20 »

...... and I also liked the way it faded the music to the back speakers when making an announcement......

Mmm? My factory fit sat-nav uses a tuppeny ha'penny speaker in the passenger footwell. If you look in the hand book for the CCRT700 as fitted to mine it mentions 'EXT.VOL' An external source can be fitted to the CCRT700(for example a navigation system)
but according to Vauxahll you can't connect the two?  :-?  :-?  :-?
What do you know that Vauxhall doesn't?  :y

my thoughts exactly! it would be ideal to have an option to have the sat nav come through the ccrt700 to save fitting the tuppeny speaker again! - or maybe even switchable to have both?!
and as for gyroscopes, i thought they were only on ships with sails  :-?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #27 on: 16 January 2008, 18:26:42 »

What exactly does it calculate using the gyroscope? I guess it knows when you're going uphill etc, but how does this help?

A gyroscope is the most accurate compass that can be ecomonically fitted inside a cubic inch !  More for direction than elevation and the reason the angle adjustment of the main unit is required is due to the low number of sensors inside the gyro - they are generally only on the horizontal plane, so you have to get the angle of the unit adjusted to make sure the sensors are reading most of the time.
www.dndservices.co.uk

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
  • Woke up this morning a post whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 January 2008, 15:12:26 »

found this carin system on fleabay if it's any use?!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Omega-MV6-Elite-Sat-Nav-display-cd-unit-etc_W0QQitemZ290197917223QQihZ019QQcategoryZ10404QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it's of much use ta very much

and it's all mine, mine mine mhuahaha  :y
Hotel21 wrote 'Its doubtfull in the extreme if it is the head gasket at fault.  If it were burning 5 litres per week the car would leave a smokescreen behind it!'

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 January 2008, 15:38:04 »

i can hear that evil chuckling from here ;D

man that dirtydawg pushed ya didnt he??!

glad to have found a useful link tho! good luck getting the wiring!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.