Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishbone bushes  (Read 2566 times)

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
Re: Wishbone bushes
« Reply #30 on: 23 September 2009, 23:49:30 »

Ordered poly ones - no fitting costs and quicker to arrive
...and the last time you'll replace a wishbone due to a failed rubber bush. :y
Ok, I've had a ball joint fail, but that's one in eight years. I've had to replace the wishbones due to front bush failure at least 4 times. And yes, they were always re-torqued correctly.   

Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 September 2009, 23:57:25 »

One alternative and potentially more cost effective approach would be to fit Lemforder wishbones or bushes. I understand that Lemforder are the OEM for Vauxhall/Opel for these parts. The difference is that I paid £60 a piece (incl VAT) in March '98 from AutoVaux. More expensive than a pattern part from Buy parts By, but a third of the Vx price even with TC iirc. You pay your money and take your chance but half the price and 6 months life strikes me as a poor value for money in anyones book. The Lemforder online catalogue is here http://www.zf-trading.co.uk/uk_lem_en 

For your '98 car ?  :o
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

v6coop

• Nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 September 2009, 19:33:58 »

One alternative and potentially more cost effective approach would be to fit Lemforder wishbones or bushes. I understand that Lemforder are the OEM for Vauxhall/Opel for these parts. The difference is that I paid £60 a piece (incl VAT) in March '98 from AutoVaux. More expensive than a pattern part from Buy parts By, but a third of the Vx price even with TC iirc. You pay your money and take your chance but half the price and 6 months life strikes me as a poor value for money in anyones book. The Lemforder online catalogue is here http://www.zf-trading.co.uk/uk_lem_en 

For your '98 car ? 
oops. Living in the past I'm afraid. Should have read (20)08. Sorry.  :-[. I still maintain the same sentiment though.

Martin_1962

« Reply #33 on: 26 September 2009, 12:23:22 »

I have removed the rubber bit and the metal bit, but how much do I remove of the outsides, just the frame around the rubber or the next bit as well?

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26 September 2009, 12:59:08 »

I have removed the rubber bit and the metal bit, but how much do I remove of the outsides, just the frame around the rubber or the next bit as well?

Hacksaw.  :y
Remove the blade, slide it into the bush housing then re-attach to saw with the teeth facing down (if still on car. If W/bones off car, use as normal). When you've cut through the metal sleeve the blade will probably become hard to move. This is due to it becoming pinched in between the now cut ends.
Prise one end of the sleeve over the other and it should slide out easily.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2009, 13:00:43 by Turk »

Martin_1962

« Reply #35 on: 26 September 2009, 13:00:41 »

I have removed the metal frame holding the rubber, but it was how much not how.

Do I remove the next sleeve or is that part of the wishbone?

Thanks

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 26 September 2009, 13:06:28 »

When I did mine, one bush had two metal sleves, the other had just the one.
Offer up the poly-bush. It should slide in with very little resistance. There should be no need to compress the polybush. If it doesn't slide in easily then there's another sleeve to come out.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 26 September 2009, 13:33:37 »

When I did mine, one bush had two metal sleves, the other had just the one.
Offer up the poly-bush. It should slide in with very little resistance. There should be no need to compress the polybush. If it doesn't slide in easily then there's another sleeve to come out.
The type with two metal sleeves (with bonded rubber in between), are "Metalastik" jobbies.
I've successfully used an air hacksaw to remove them in the past from leaf springs.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2009, 13:36:07 by Reliance505 »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.