Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tidy 33k 53 plate 2.2 CDX sold at BCA  (Read 984 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Tidy 33k 53 plate 2.2 CDX sold at BCA
« on: 28 March 2021, 20:16:49 »

A very tidy '53 reg 2.2 CDX auto saloon YD53LUY with only 33,942 miles was sold at BCA Preston on Friday. Star silver, and 12 stamp main dealer service history, MOT to Nov. '21.  Slight scuff on one bumper corner, and a small localised but heavy rust blob on the rear offside wheel arch, and a cloth interior, but looked a very genuine car. Got 4 figures surprisingly - be interesting to see where it turns up and at what asking price....
Good ones seem to be still attracting strong interest with buyers...
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Tidy 33k 53 plate 2.2 CDX sold at BCA
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2021, 21:03:35 »

looks like it wasn't loved much in the last 3 years (previous MOT history to 2017 OK)
the advisory list grows  :(

last MOT
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Front Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
Offside Rear Surface rust on wheel arch.
Offside Front Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Front Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Nearside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Offside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Integral body structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Front Shockers slightly corroded.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2021, 21:33:10 »

The advisories are typical of a very low mileage car that has stood idle without much use, although reading between the lines, they appear worse than they probably are. However, it just confirms that lack of use is isn't always good for a car...
The body rust comments are not unusual on a car of this age depending on the opinion of the tester. It has obviously visited main dealers regularly and they may have carried out the testing as well,  and their testers are likely to be more critical than other local garage MOT testers would be. Not always the case, but my experiences have shown this can be the case.
It may still be worth a visit wherever it pops up if you were in the market for such a model.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2021, 21:48:09 »

Yes , I agree , MOT testing varies massively depending on the tester
anyone purchasing a car needs to check it over ,and UNDER  ;D and not rely on the fact it has an MOT
or has NO MOT for that matter, I've brought cars with no MOT in the past that needed very little ,if anything doing.
I've also looked at cars with a "fresh MOT" that I've walked away from because they should never have passed the "fresh MOT"  :(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2021, 00:21:59 »

As we've said before, an expensive(4 figures at auction is definitely expensive) 18 year old Omega will have the same faults as a cheap one:

it needs four tyres - at least £300

it needs brake work  - <£150 in parts plus investigating what the grease on the pipes is hiding - you all know I think that should be an instant failure

it needs wishbones, and probably shocks - so the usual complete front suspension rebuild <£200 per side in parts, and another £100 on alignment

it's got the usual crusty front structure, which may, or may not be good for a few more years.

it needs some paintwork - £100 in materials if it doesn't need any other bodywork and you already have the tools

the low mileage points at a total lack of use which would prevent me paying much for it.

it's a 2.2

Apart from the mileage it sounds like a £400 car that you'd need to test drive and inspect thoroughly before paying that much.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2021, 07:13:23 »

Suprising what the Omega market is fetching these days, a lot are tying it on though.

I reckon I can get more for at least 2 of the Omega's I own than I paid for them.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.