Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Towbar wiring  (Read 2189 times)

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
Towbar wiring
« on: 04 December 2007, 16:34:17 »

I need to fit a towbar to my facelift estate.  That's not a problem, however for the wiring, do i just scotchlok (yuck) into the existing loom / plug or should I invest in one of those fancy new multiplex systems?
If I go the old fashioned route, does anyone have a list of what to connect to? (12N only)

All advise gratefully received.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
Re: Towbar wiring
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2007, 16:49:20 »

I need to fit a towbar to my facelift estate.  That's not a problem, however for the wiring, do i just scotchlok (yuck) into the existing loom / plug or should I invest in one of those fancy new multiplex systems?
If I go the old fashioned route, does anyone have a list of what to connect to? (12N only)

I wired up my facelift estate, cut off the plug (gave up with the dealers trying to sort out the right one) and wired it up with crimp connectors for all the lights except the brake light which i picked up from the nearside light cluster.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2007, 17:21:32 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1193735211/8#8

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2007, 19:07:52 »

Neatest way is probably to find the towbar pre-wiring connector and either purchase a mating connector from VX or cut it off and solder join and heat shrink your wiring to the wires there. The colour codes in the linked article stand at the pre-wiring connector too.

You'll need to add an audible warning device for the indicators (or change the flasher unit and add a bulb to the instrument panel) and also bridge the two Black / Yellow wires in the socket for the brake light current sensing socket (like a relay socket which I found behind and to the left of the glove compartment).

There are a couple of threads in here on tow bar wiring. Might be worth a search.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2007, 19:41:05 »

...... and also bridge the two Black / Yellow wires in the socket for the brake light current sensing socket (like a relay socket which I found behind and to the left of the glove compartment).........

The trailer check control was only about £16 and will keep a permanent checkon your brake lights.

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2007, 19:54:50 »

...... and also bridge the two Black / Yellow wires in the socket for the brake light current sensing socket (like a relay socket which I found behind and to the left of the glove compartment).........

The trailer check control was only about £16 and will keep a permanent check on your brake lights.
Does this remove the necessity for linking the 2 black / yellows?
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2007, 20:02:02 »

The trailer check control was only about £16 and will keep a permanent check on your brake lights.
Does this remove the necessity for linking the 2 black / yellows?

Yes! The link wire is a 'bodge' so that you don't have to fit the check control 'relay'. The hardest part for me was finding the base for it. Mine was above the driver's feet, but as Kevin says later cars have it behind the glove box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2007, 20:19:49 »

What does the check control do once installed, out of interest?

Obviously it will alert you of a blown brake lamp on the trailer, but how does it know there's a trailer there in the first place?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2007, 22:24:56 »

Obviously it will alert you of a blown brake lamp on the trailer, but how does it know there's a trailer there in the first place?

Kevin

I know it works  ;) ...... how it does I haven't the fogiest idea!  :-? Extra earth?    ;D
There's lots of things in my life that work ....... they just do & have no need to know how they do it as long as they do!   :y  :y  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2007, 22:33:11 »

Kevin

I know it works  ;) ...... how it does I haven't the fogiest idea!  :-? Extra earth?    ;D
There's lots of things in my life that work ....... they just do & have no need to know how they do it as long as they do!   :y  :y  :y

Ahh, That's where you and I differ. If I don't know how it works it's no good. I'll probably end up taking it apart to figure out how it works, and afterwards it won't work any more anyway ::)

;)

Kevin

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2007, 22:44:06 »

Sounds familier

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2007, 22:48:19 »

Ahh, That's where you and I differ. If I don't know how it works it's no good. I'll probably end up taking it apart to figure out how it works, and afterwards it won't work any more anyway ::)

;)

Kevin

We're both exactly the same but  ..... different. If I can put a spanner to it I can fix it beyond repair ;D, but as I'm only a semi-skimmed spark/fitter I don't do electrickery. :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.