Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for the motorbike to go...  (Read 15757 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Time for the motorbike to go...
« Reply #30 on: 07 August 2016, 19:04:20 »

If your commuting within the M25 don't buy a diesel. If Mayor Khan has his way, it will cost you a bloody fortune from next year.
I'm currently trying to source a Range Rover for the daughter, who lives in London, and diesels ar out of the question for that reason.
Looks like its going to be a 400bhp petrol, which is a worry. She hasnt driven at all for twelve years, and the one year she was on the road, she couldnt drive a pig with a stick.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 August 2016, 19:27:51 »

As for giving up the bike. I can understand that. Ive always loved bikes. Had a life threatening / changing accident on one before I was even old enough to ride anything bigger than a moped. It didn't put me off, but once I had kids I didn't have anything bigger than a 125 commute bike until they were at school leaving age.It just seemd too selfish to take the risk. Then the bug bit again.  ::)
I have currently given them up, but its a struggle. I feel a bit like a recovering addict trying to stay away from their addiction.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 August 2016, 22:18:24 »

Mixed road 50 mile daily commute down M3 via Heathrow, so diesel should be fine. I don't go near the congestion or emmisions zones  :)

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 August 2016, 22:49:13 »

All depends what the bike will sell for, that will determin what I can get. It's primary role will be work and back, I want to be comfy and it be an automatic, on the list:

1) Merc CLS 320. Just as practical as current 2.2, so no issues there. 5th seat not required. Stretching the budget, not many with spec I want.

Driven one recently, very much like driving position and silky smooth and silent V6 diesel.

The 320 petrol engine is a peach.  And probably not much different in terms of fuel consumption in my experience.

Build quality pre-2006 was shocking.  And new injectors on the diesel will cost a fortune if required.  Sensotronic brakes are shit (think they disappeared in 2005)

2) Volvo S80, just like Omega they had heavy depreciation.

No way a near good looking in my view, but it good value.

Fugly as...

3) Volvo V70.  Very practical option, sat in one straight after a CLS. Very impressed how comfy the seats were, think they are THE most comfy I've sat in. Loads around for my budget.

Gearboxes weak as cheese. (especially 4wd R models). Throttle bodies pre 2002 a problem. Whole engine problematic post 2.3L era apparently.
ROAD TAX ANIHILATION POST 2005  :(

Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 August 2016, 22:59:54 »

Sensotronic brakes are shit (think they disappeared in 2005)

My mates E Class has SBC brakes. They work OK, but have a strange feel to them as you first start to press the pedal

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 August 2016, 08:47:59 »

All depends what the bike will sell for, that will determin what I can get. It's primary role will be work and back, I want to be comfy and it be an automatic, on the list:

1) Merc CLS 320. Just as practical as current 2.2, so no issues there. 5th seat not required. Stretching the budget, not many with spec I want.

Driven one recently, very much like driving position and silky smooth and silent V6 diesel.

The 320 petrol engine is a peach.  And probably not much different in terms of fuel consumption in my experience.

Build quality pre-2006 was shocking.  And new injectors on the diesel will cost a fortune if required.  Sensotronic brakes are shit (think they disappeared in 2005)

2) Volvo S80, just like Omega they had heavy depreciation.

No way a near good looking in my view, but it good value.

Fugly as...

3) Volvo V70.  Very practical option, sat in one straight after a CLS. Very impressed how comfy the seats were, think they are THE most comfy I've sat in. Loads around for my budget.

Gearboxes weak as cheese. (especially 4wd R models). Throttle bodies pre 2002 a problem. Whole engine problematic post 2.3L era apparently.
ROAD TAX ANIHILATION POST 2005  :(

Thanks for feedback, but to go back on a few points:

1) There is no '320' petrol? Only the 350... which is just as crap on fuel as 3.2 Omega, on my commute and driving style, the diesel makes sense. No SBC brakes on the CLS of vintage I'm looking at (2007-ish)

I've been doing cost service comparison between CLS and Insignia, some things are cheaper on CLS, glow plugs are (but you need more), Injectors are more for CLS, but not by much. A diesel injector for an Insignia is £176 on ECP, compared with £230 for the CLS. Over-all when you include plugs, filters etc, the CLS is only tad more.

2) And the Omega is no fugly? Put it along side a S80, side by side, only a true Omega fan would say which is the better looking. Besides, did we really buy the Omega because of it's good looks? - No we, well I, chose it because they turned out to be a depreciation disaster, which is good for second hand buyers. The S80 looks in same boat, up against the 5 Series and lost so it's dirt cheap.  Seen 2010 Plate examples for £5k!

3) Volvo V70's seen plenty of high mile versions, I'd be looking around 2007 vintage again with diesel autos. Tax not an issue on the D5's.

I personally love the looks of the CLS and smooth V6 diesel was effortless, but a Volvo does mean more practical means and there is an Indie Volvo dealer less than a mile from my house. Which would be good for parts and stuff I don't want to do!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 August 2016, 08:51:09 »

I'd also hazard a guess that 10 years ago, if you posted on a Volvo forum or Merc and stated you were getting an Omega they would all say you are mad because they leak from the cam covers, HBV's fail and the suspension is rubbish unless you put on poly bushes  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 August 2016, 14:02:53 »

Later D5s eat head gaskets... practically a service item every 50k, especially if Polestar chipped... autoboxes simply can't cope with the torque either.

That said, the 1.6d in the D3 is just as rubbish... same lump as Focus... doesn't do miles, life expectancy is 60-100k miles.

Before you commit to the CLS, try fitting the child seat and little one into it... not to see if they fit, sure that they do, but rather to see how you physically get on with the shape of the rear door/roofline ;)

If you can find one with it, the V70 does has a built in child seat option, which would save you some faffing :y

Petrol and lpg would be my suggestion... but then car needs to be large enough to still fit a push chair in... :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 August 2016, 15:24:44 »

Later D5s eat head gaskets... practically a service item every 50k, especially if Polestar chipped... autoboxes simply can't cope with the torque either.

That said, the 1.6d in the D3 is just as rubbish... same lump as Focus... doesn't do miles, life expectancy is 60-100k miles.

Before you commit to the CLS, try fitting the child seat and little one into it... not to see if they fit, sure that they do, but rather to see how you physically get on with the shape of the rear door/roofline ;)

If you can find one with it, the V70 does has a built in child seat option, which would save you some faffing :y

Petrol and lpg would be my suggestion... but then car needs to be large enough to still fit a push chair in... :-\

For Petrol & LPG, I'd have to factor in £1-2k for professional LPG conversion, so that leaves budget of say £4k... which leaves generally poor examples. MrsT also can't deal with LPG pumps, so normal fill and go would be better.

For the CLS, I tried a local one to get a drive. So might need to try another local one to pop a baby seat in. But I'll keep the 3.2 for the family bus. As 2.2 aircon has been buggered for years and MrsT does not like manuals, the 3.2 has been the family bus for past year. Full boot helps too, so we will continue to use that. The 2.2 only does the works run at the moment, which is what the CLS would do as well. I'd only use the CLS as family bus, if it was a mega long run to Euroland or something.

As I'll probably look at XC90 or Galaxy or Zafira Tourer for MrsT in a few years time, so long term the replacement is only the work commuter.

Are the D5's really that bad on HG's? I can't believe they fail every 50k.  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 August 2016, 16:30:12 »

For Petrol & LPG, I'd have to factor in £1-2k for professional LPG conversion...

:o

Surely not those cowboys, after all we've learnt?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 August 2016, 16:33:13 »

For Petrol & LPG, I'd have to factor in £1-2k for professional LPG conversion...

:o

Surely not those cowboys, after all we've learnt?

Say I bought a Jag XJ V8 or a Lexus, I doubt little fatty would have time to help me convert a car he knows nothing about. I would need it done fairly quickly too, so what other option?

That's why I want to go diesel route, rather than another car with LPG.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 August 2016, 16:37:29 »

Kevin, you can't tell someone what they don't want to hear...

T, the D4/2.0 four pot diesel is better, but not by much... Diy LPG a 1.8 Vectra C estate and put the money saved towards a holiday ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 08 August 2016, 16:48:07 »

Kevin, you can't tell someone what they don't want to hear...

T, the D4/2.0 four pot diesel is better, but not by much... Diy LPG a 1.8 Vectra C estate and put the money saved towards a holiday ;)

I'd rather walk!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 08 August 2016, 16:50:43 »

Re Volvo diesel  reliability,  it's not how you're going to drive/treat the car, it's how the previous owner has used it...

Perhaps Kevins dad might be persuaded to sell his...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 08 August 2016, 17:04:22 »

Re Volvo diesel  reliability,  it's not how you're going to drive/treat the car, it's how the previous owner has used it...

Perhaps Kevins dad might be persuaded to sell his...

I didn't mention that my Dad uses his to test the soundness of drystone walls on a regular basis, being a motorist of advancing years. Didn't seem relevant to the discussion before, but... ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.