Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for the motorbike to go...  (Read 15711 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Time for the motorbike to go...
« Reply #60 on: 09 August 2016, 10:06:05 »

Those mittens are good once you get use to the finger positions  :( I went for the heated gloves then had some bar muffs .. kept me toasty on long journeys .

I went bar muffs, very toasty with thin gloves. Forgot I bought them to be honest!

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 09 August 2016, 20:25:36 »

I should keep the bike a bit longer. Don't let tales of spills frighten you. I rode my Velocette Venom to work till I was 34. Suffered no injuries through falling off, but collected several sprained ankles kick starting the beast.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 09 August 2016, 22:12:00 »

I should keep the bike a bit longer. Don't let tales of spills frighten you. I rode my Velocette Venom to work till I was 34. Suffered no injuries through falling off, but collected several sprained ankles kick starting the beast.

There were only 7 other people on the road in britain when you were 34  ::) ;)
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 09 August 2016, 22:17:02 »

My circumstances have changed, I now provide for 2 others, so need to think of them  :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 09 August 2016, 22:51:34 »

My circumstances have changed, I now provide for 2 others, so need to think of them  :y

I had my bike accident at quite a high speed. The sliding along the road was quite painless but by Christ did the stopping hurt.  ;D
When my bones had healed properly again my parents and my Mrs begged me not to get another one. It made my mum age overnight with worry.  :-[ :(
I still love bikes and get to ride my mates road bike now and again but I feel that, if I'd carried on riding the way I did it would be the death of me.  ::)
The accident wasn't my fault by the way.  :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 11 August 2016, 09:46:39 »

Problem with riding a bike is the other idiots on the road, 25 yrs ago when commuting 60m per day , it was normal to have a change of underpants on average once a week , nowadays I reckon would be more often ( due to people not looking, not signalling, strange number plates,less bikes on road etc. etc.), but mine is now a week end plaything ( and uses same mpg as the Polo and works van - but brings a smile to my face)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 11 August 2016, 10:12:16 »

We describe bike riders as 'donors'

No matter how good you are, there is still the chance that the last thing you see is grandmas false teeth as you fly past her at speed  having passed through her drivers side front window.

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 11 August 2016, 10:50:41 »

Quite agree about the 'Donors'  which I am registered for, but as with everything we do - risk assessment which can vary according to the circumstances etc.
I personally cannot go onto the roof of a house - as I start to shake - but am happy above 30m  ( but can't see the stones on the floor from up there)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 11 August 2016, 11:06:08 »

Terry, I still remember kicking over my Panther M120 (a 650cc single cylinder, for those unfamiliar) when I forgot to operate the half-compression lever; it kicked back and I was off work for a week!

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 11 August 2016, 17:33:01 »

I always said that when I "sold" the ZX10 I wouldn't get another bike - for the cost, it was a hard act to follow.  I rarely paid more than £40-£50 to insure it FC, tax was about £70, and its servicing needs were minimal.  In return, it was plenty quick enough, effortless, and a great mile cruncher.  With enough agility and acceleration to be fun as well.

Fairing was rare, which was a problem after I chucked mine up the road several years ago (and I still suffer from the aftermath on cold days), which gave mine a quite tatty look.

But I'm too old now. Injurys need longer to heal, and the quality of driving is so utterly piss poor now, frankly its not safe, no matter how defensive you can ride.  I feel I've used my 9 lives already.  And like Al says, stopping bloody hurts nowadays.

So after it was destroyed in the garage incident, it hasn't been replaced. Yes, I still get the urge which all bikers can sympathise with, but I have to accept those days are gone.  Is that the sign of a mid life crisis? ;D
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #70 on: 11 August 2016, 17:35:15 »

Is that the sign of a mid life crisis? ;D

I think that means you're well past the mid life crisis stage  :P The mid life crisis means going out and buying a big litre-plus sport bike after not having ridden a bike for 20+ years ;D (then throwing it at the tarmac..)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 11 August 2016, 17:48:00 »

I always thought that mid life crisis was that sudden awareness of ones mortality, and limited time on this rock... :P
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 11 August 2016, 17:48:41 »

Though I'm not having enough of a crisis to go buying diesel shitbox Volvos...   ...yet!
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 11 August 2016, 17:59:05 »

Though I'm not having enough of a crisis to go buying diesel shitbox Volvos...   ...yet!

Show me something else for £6k with that level of kit with under 100k miles!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 11 August 2016, 18:01:35 »

Show me something else for £6k with that level of kit with under 100k miles!
When the spec level becomes a deciding factor in which make/model of car to buy, something is wrong....
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.