Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 to 3 ltr conversion issues problems  (Read 1303 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 to 3 ltr conversion issues problems
« Reply #15 on: 23 February 2011, 14:06:57 »

If you didnt use the throttle body off the 3.0 plenum then they are different...one pulls from the top the other from the bottom...

Yes, indeed. What I am wondering is if the connector on the throttle pot is wired the "other way round" on a 2.5 loom since the pot will turn the opposite way. Worth trying it with the 2.5 throttle body on the long plenum IMHO. Granted the cable might not reach, but a few manual blips of the throttle should indicate if matters have improved or not.

Kevin

now thats a good point  :y

anybody out there in oof land know if the looms for a 2.5 and 3.0 are the same ?

also i forgot to mention  :-[ :-[
the throttle body on the car now ( 3 ltr one ) is a bit on the stiff side  :-/

i have just taken it out for a blast and as long as you don't slam open the throttle under load, the car runs ok even though the revs at idle is still too high  :(

around 2000 rpm when cold
around 1200 rpm when warmed through  :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2011, 14:13:04 »

i have just taken it out for a blast and as long as you don't slam open the throttle under load, the car runs ok even though the revs at idle is still too high  :(

Exactly what I would expect with a throttle pot problem. As you are opening the throttle it should enrich the mixture to avoid the engine bogging down. As you come off the throttle it will enlean it for the same reason.

With the throttle pot wired the wrong way, it's going to bog down as you open the throttle, unless you're teasing it open slowly enough for it not to matter.

As to the idle, the ECU has a closed loop idle algorithm that's activated by detecting the throttle is fully closed. (throttle pot again!)

If the ECU is not detecting a closed throttle correctly it will probably just open the ICV to a "safe" position that will prevent the engine stalling as it comes down to idle, hence the high and variable idle speed.

It all points to the problem with the throttle pot.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2011, 14:25:24 »

Exactly what I would expect with a throttle pot problem. As you are opening the throttle it should enrich the mixture to avoid the engine bogging down. As you come off the throttle it will enlean it for the same reason.

With the throttle pot wired the wrong way, it's going to bog down as you open the throttle, unless you're teasing it open slowly enough for it not to matter.

As to the idle, the ECU has a closed loop idle algorithm that's activated by detecting the throttle is fully closed. (throttle pot again!)

If the ECU is not detecting a closed throttle correctly it will probably just open the ICV to a "safe" position that will prevent the engine stalling as it comes down to idle, hence the high and variable idle speed.

It all points to the problem with the throttle pot.Kevin

can the pot be removed and cleaned ? :-/

if so, carb cleaner ?? :-/ :-/

the plenum / throttle body has been sat in the shed for 18 months

i've been led to believe that the only difference between the looms ( plug wise ) is the shape of the LT coilpack plug and the MAF  :-/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 February 2011, 15:26:34 »

i've been led to believe that the only difference between the looms ( plug wise ) is the shape of the LT coilpack plug and the MAF  :-/

The point I'm making is not that it's faulty, but that it's different between the 2 engines. Try running it with the 2.5 throttle body on and see what happens. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 February 2011, 15:42:25 »

The point I'm making is not that it's faulty, but that it's different between the 2 engines. Try running it with the 2.5 throttle body on and see what happens. :yKevin

will do  :y
when it stops chuffin raining  ;D

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #20 on: 23 February 2011, 16:32:56 »

Putting the 2.5 throttle body back on the 3.0 engine certainly cured what sounds very similar in issue on mine mate :y
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 February 2011, 18:21:45 »

Putting the 2.5 throttle body back on the 3.0 engine certainly cured what sounds very similar in issue on mine mate :y

swapped them round ( now running 3lt plenum / ecu ........... 2.5 throttle body )

runs great now  :) :y :y

thanks for all the help / advise lads

cheers  steve

now all i need to do is get it through a MOT  :D :D

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #22 on: 23 February 2011, 19:17:22 »

Let me know how it gets on mate...have a spare car sat here atm for parts lol
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.