Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T try this at home!  (Read 1318 times)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
DON'T try this at home!
« on: 02 May 2014, 20:21:58 »

Was at work on Tuesday, drilling a 6mm hole in masonry and the bit snapped suddenly, half in the hole and half still in drill. Drill and stump still spinning shot off to the side and straight into the top joint of my index finger, knew the bit broke straight away but took a few seconds to realise that it had went straight into my finger with all my force behind it!!! Took glove off and realised that there wasnt much blood but there was shards of bone in the glove. Away to A+E where I sat on a trolley in the corridor for 2 days before finally getting minor surgery on it which only took a bloody hour after all that waiting.
They had to drill through the tip of my finger down past the first knuckle and push some wire down in to let everything grow back straight. Wire stays in for 6 weeks and then gets pulled out, the little green ball you can see is to protect the end of the wire so it doesn't catch on everything. As the title says DON'T try this at home!!!
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

cleggy

Re: DON'T try this at home!
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2014, 21:12:17 »

OUCH! A manicure while you waited would have helped. ;D ;D ;D ;
Two days I do hope that's an exaggeration, if not I would would go to my MP :y Mind you if was Stafford they would have removed your arm. ::)
« Last Edit: 02 May 2014, 21:15:58 by Cleggy »

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2014, 21:21:04 »

So easily done, a colleague of mine (pre-mandatory safety glasses) lost an eye when a drill bit broke so they're definitely dangerous!
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2014, 22:43:47 »

:o :o :o :o :o

Blimey a pre warning for the squeamish wouldn't  go a miss ;D ;D ;D

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2014, 22:49:18 »

That's called a "kays wire"I used to help put them into wonky big toes in work many moons ago. Used to make my stomah churn! We used to buy the drill bits from B&Q  ;D
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2014, 22:51:10 »

OUCH!!!!!!.............. Glad you are OK, but can't be looking at the photos again...... :-[

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2014, 00:52:40 »

Was at work on Tuesday, drilling a 6mm hole in masonry and the bit snapped suddenly, half in the hole and half still in drill. Drill and stump still spinning shot off to the side and straight into the top joint of my index finger, knew the bit broke straight away but took a few seconds to realise that it had went straight into my finger with all my force behind it!!! Took glove off and realised that there wasnt much blood but there was shards of bone in the glove. Away to A+E where I sat on a trolley in the corridor for 2 days before finally getting minor surgery on it which only took a bloody hour after all that waiting.
They had to drill through the tip of my finger down past the first knuckle and push some wire down in to let everything grow back straight. Wire stays in for 6 weeks and then gets pulled out, the little green ball you can see is to protect the end of the wire so it doesn't catch on everything. As the title says DON'T try this at home!!!
TWO DAYS, blimey :'(

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2014, 01:18:10 »

Made my eyes water - bet your's did too :o
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2014, 13:28:35 »

:o :o Had a few drill bits snap but only the small ones . Will keep that in mind when using cheapo drill bits . Looks nasty , finger injuries do throb a bit dont they  :(

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2014, 14:57:56 »

Believe it or not it hasn't been sore at all, haven't had to take even 1 painkiller. Sorest bit was when they had to drill the bone to put the wire in, finger was frozen with a local anaesthetic but I could still feel the drill going in. It does throb sometimes but thats as bad as its been. It was a 6mm masonry bit made by Hilti and it wasn't cheap at all. Can't understand how it snapped, will post a pic of it later if I remember.

Had to get the dressing re-done today so managed to get some pics with the dressing off to keep you gore freaks happy lol. Sorry to all those who are squeamish!!

Johnny English

• Omega Baron
  • Hungary
  • English antitalent
    • 1995. 2.5 V6 LPG manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 May 2014, 20:10:13 »

Hope you are ok mate, if I see well also your thumb has lived hard days...I wish you fast and painless recovery!  :y
C20NE - X25XE

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 May 2014, 21:09:33 »

Well spotted johnny English.  Yeah my thumb has been attacked quite a few times now and the nerves have been dead in the tip of it for a few yrs now!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2014, 21:13:57 »

OUCH!!!!!!  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

get well soon  :y  :y  :y ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.