Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Still vibrating, the Whole Car and in "Every" Speed  (Read 3703 times)

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
Still vibrating, the Whole Car and in "Every" Speed
« on: 17 September 2021, 10:15:53 »

This is quite strange for me. Now checked all eight track rod ends, new tires balanced twice, rims and tires do not have axial or radial swing. It starts somewhere 60 km/h and continues up to 130km/h (not possible to go higher speeds legally). Gear box and engine mounting rubbers ok. If I put N (autobox) in 130km/h and engine idling does not change situation. I feel this slight vibration everywhere in the car. Is prop rubber joints and the "holder bearing" in the center part. Please help.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Still vibrating, the Whole Car and in "Every" Speed
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2021, 10:24:43 »

I'd be inspecting the propshaft first. Then the diff mounts and driveshafts. Check the fluid levels while you're there.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2021, 10:29:23 »

Thanks, if prop can I remove it without removing exhaust. Prop joints seem tight when I bend them with Iron bar. Central prop bearing rubber have play up and down when I move it with my hands only. Diff oil not checked within last two years. If it is dry can it vibrate?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2021, 10:41:53 »

Uneven wear of poor quality front brake discs caused my Omega to vibrate.

Initially it would begin at around 80mph+ (130k?) but as it got worse it would begin at slower speeds.

By the time I changed the front discs it was starting at about 60mph/100k - I was pleasantly surprised when the shacking stopped because I didn't believe it could be the cause  :)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2021, 10:52:06 »

Thanks, if prop can I remove it without removing exhaust. Prop joints seem tight when I bend them with Iron bar. Central prop bearing rubber have play up and down when I move it with my hands only. Diff oil not checked within last two years. If it is dry can it vibrate?

My car got noticeably quieter and smoother after I 'topped up' the diff with 1litre of oil. I've had the same with manual gearboxes.

Andy makes a good point about the brakes, so it's probably worth checking them too, even if all you do is thoroughly clean the mounting surfaces.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2021, 12:16:36 »

The speeds described tend to point more towards the sprung items than the prop (which tends to have issues at different lower speeds due to the diff ratio)

You have checked the obvious, but how about the shocks, they can cause a minor unnoticeable wheel balance issue to become very pronounced at those speeds.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2021, 12:24:09 »

Not uncommon to see cars with one back wheel bouncing along the road because that shock has failed...

Which is, in itself, a worry :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2021, 12:43:20 »

In my experience, gearboxes, propshafts and diffs whine or grumble rather than shake the car. This is because they're revolving at several times the speed of the road wheels (depending on the diff ratio).

If you can feel it through the steering wheel, then its probably front wheel related - tyres, rims, brake disks, shox, track rods, ball joints, centre tie bar.

If it's shaking the whole car equally, then rear wheels are more likely - so rear tyres, rims, brake disks, rear shox.

I've got two stories related to the LC. First one was a vibration under light braking through the whole car. Turned out to be one of the rear brake disks (which are vented) had cracked in the venting. This allowed the two halves of the brake disk to spread apart slightly. You noticed when you first applied the brakes lightly, but it would stop under heavy braking (because the two halves of the disk got squashed back together again). Then on lift off the vibration would continue for a while until the pistons/pads had been 'knocked back' far enough so as to not hit the brake disk. AIUI the 2.6 has vented rear disks? Might be worth checking the run out on both the inside and outside faces of the two rear disks.

Second story took me several years to locate. On hitting any sort of pot hole the steering would vibrate quite violently for 10-15 seconds. You could stop the vibration with a slight dab of the brakes. I'd replaced most of the front end of the car - Wishbones, track rods, brakes, brake disks, shox, top mounts, drop links, roll bar bushes etc. Nothing fixed it. Then finally I'd decided to replace the power steering box, and to do that I had to take the centre steering tie bar off. The ball joint in that was rubber ducked.   
« Last Edit: 17 September 2021, 12:46:00 by LC0112G »

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2021, 18:46:02 »

Had same issue, took many parts to replace but the solution wasn't a part at all. Same "whole car" vibration even in N, and definetly under accelleration.
As it turned out, the prop rubber at each end connect to diff (back) and gear (front), and when they were replaced the mechanic connected them "wrong", and I will try to explain.
The rubber doughnut has six holes arranged in 3 pairs (It is worth checking this, everyone, all you need is a flashlight), and the rule is as follows: Front or rear, when you flash light on that rubber coupling, look at the botton 2-hole pair (thicker area), the prop shaft must connect to the right hole (ie NOT the left). Sounds like a silly observation? well, looking at other cars, and some YouTube "expert" mechanics videos, many miss this rule and connect the prop shaft bolts to the left whole in each 2-hole pair (again, when pair facing down towards road). It looks fine, but generate vibrations and leads to accelerated failure if these rubber couplings. I know some OOF members will see their propshaft connected wrong. BTW that mechanic said he didn't think there is a difference with regards to which hole to use... I have photos if someone is interested.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2021, 18:48:39 by Eyal2002 »

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2021, 19:13:53 »

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2021, 17:39:54 »

Thanks for all tips, I think I start from rear discs as they are badly corroded and should be changed anyway due to MOT in Nov. -21. My prop shaft was off some years ago due to change of rear crank seal. I believe it is correctly fitted but could you explain how it should be; three bolts in gear and diff. If one of the three in diff side point down should one of the three point down also in hear side or what this fig is showing to me. Explanation needed please.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2021, 07:09:05 »

If you split the prop shaft when it was removed, it's possible that you reassembled it out of balance.

It has a master spline to prevent this, but it is possible to misalign it.
Onanists always think outside the box.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2021, 09:33:17 »

Thanks, OK, prop was not split so that's then ok. I did not understand the drawing and thought perhaps wrong the whole thing. Next week I have new rear discs, report then.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2021, 13:08:59 »

One more to consider.

My wife's Galaxy developed fierce vibration through the steering and front of the car when a CV joint became worn.

It came on steadily over a 350 mile drive from Cornwall to Kent. The damn thing was barely drivable on the return journey a few days later.

I know the Omega isn't front wheel drive but it DOES have CV joints.

Just an idea.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2021, 17:55:01 »

Thanks, I pay attention to that, too, when changing rear discs next week.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.