Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Management light  (Read 2741 times)

Omega Nige

• Oxfordshire
    • Omega 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
Engine Management light
« on: 26 October 2021, 13:23:16 »

Hi, I have an issue with the engine management light coming on when I am around town. Plug in my reader and it says O2 sensor out of range bank 2. Reset and if I'm on a journey it doesn't come on again until I'm town driving. Passes the MOT, tried cataclean and O2 cleaner in the fuel but no change. Any ideas?  ???

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Management light
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2021, 13:30:23 »

It's a factory fitted code on the 3.2. 0420/0430...

Full tank of Shell V Power along with a can of Wynns fuel cleaner. Drive it hard (aim for sub 250 miles). Repeat once every six months.

Or wait until the bulb burns out and forget about it.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2021, 14:00:06 »

I think the Dr is recommending some nice fluids followed by a jolly good booting.
Laying a rubber road.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2021, 14:16:39 »

Lambda sensors have a life span - I recollect 160k km / 100k miles with the recommendation that they are replaced. Many will last longer, but I have had fault codes thrown up for o2 sensors on my 3.2's which have always come back eventually after being cleared.
I have then replaced them with genuine Bosch or GM Vauxhall sensors and the problem (the EML coming on) has been cured.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2021, 14:23:48 »

Its a built in issue on the later V6 engines. My answer to it is to turn the light off with my code reader just before the MOT and then ignore it the rest of the year.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2021, 15:09:43 »

Lambda sensors have a life span - I recollect 160k km / 100k miles with the recommendation that they are replaced. Many will last longer, but I have had fault codes thrown up for o2 sensors on my 3.2's which have always come back eventually after being cleared.
I have then replaced them with genuine Bosch or GM Vauxhall sensors and the problem (the EML coming on) has been cured.
Never replaced one in the 180k I put on my '54... And that was on top of the 100k TVP put on it.

It threw up the occasional 0420/0430 but that was down to pootling following a spanking or being stood for a while... And I suspect it's only because the trims are suddenly thrown out of whack...
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2021, 18:57:16 »

It's a built in issue on the later V6 engines. My answer to it is to turn the light off with my code reader just before the MOT and then ignore it the rest of the year.

It would really bug me if I had the EML glaring at me for 11months or so every year. Removing the bulb isn't an option I'd consider either. I'd rather get to the bottom of the cause, and sort it properly.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2021, 20:18:01 »

Mine sometimes comes on after a spanking  :D, just diconnect battery and reset it, it is needing a new sensor, so be getting changed soon.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2021, 20:30:45 »

It's a built in issue on the later V6 engines. My answer to it is to turn the light off with my code reader just before the MOT and then ignore it the rest of the year.

It would really bug me if I had the EML glaring at me for 11months or so every year. Removing the bulb isn't an option I'd consider either. I'd rather get to the bottom of the cause, and sort it properly.

Which means either fitting 3.0cats or moving the Lamdas. I have considered both options but decided not to bother.
I did remove the bulb and replace for the MOT initially, but got used to the glaring bulb now and dont really notice it.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2021, 21:46:20 »

Which means either fitting 3.0cats or moving the Lamdas. I have considered both options but decided not to bother.
I did remove the bulb and replace for the MOT initially, but got used to the glaring bulb now and dont really notice it.  :)

Cheap Bluetooth OBD key and Torque on your phone. Reset it occasionally whenever you're sitting in the car with a few seconds to spare.

Although I've a welder, so would move the Lambdas at the first opportunity.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2021, 11:04:39 »

Got a plug in code reader in the car that does the same thing, but may take a few more seconds. Sometimes do turn it off if Im sat in the car bored. But the light doesnt really bother me now.
I also have a welder, but cant be arsed to do the job tbh. I suppose the truth is that Im not interested enough anymore.

Omega Nige

• Oxfordshire
    • Omega 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2021, 12:09:36 »

Thanks for all your comments. If cleaning doesn't work where do they need to repositioned to, and if the light comes on intermittently is it still working? Cheers  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2021, 12:58:02 »

Got a plug in code reader in the car that does the same thing, but may take a few more seconds. Sometimes do turn it off if Im sat in the car bored. But the light doesnt really bother me now.
I also have a welder, but cant be arsed to do the job tbh. I suppose the truth is that Im not interested enough anymore.

That's the reason for the Bluetooth adapter; it can be left plugged in all the time :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2021, 13:15:18 »

The sensors are each side of the starting cat.

The solution is to move the post starting cat sensors to behind the main cat

The actual problems being the low quality starting cats fitted to the 2.6 and 3.2
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 November 2021, 11:15:53 »

Not aligned with the responses so far, cat efficiency is the usual code for the pre-cat 2.6/3.2 issue.

02 sensor out of range relates to the correction values and is more MAF dependent, what is the MAF reporting in live values?

« Last Edit: 01 November 2021, 11:53:31 by Marks DTM Calib »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.