Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things to check while doing belt and oil breathers  (Read 1262 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Things to check while doing belt and oil breathers
« on: 23 February 2021, 19:55:23 »

I'm doing a bit of maintenance on the 2.6, got TB to do, and as I'm doing this (4 Years are up, not done 40k since last change) I've decided to change the condenser as, while there's no evidence of leaks all the fins are falling out of it, and I think the cooling performance isn't the best it could be.

While I'm in there I'm going to do all the rocker gaskets, thermostat, clean out the breathers and whatever else I find within reason. I'm wondering about a few things though, the inlet manifold gaskets seals, are they worth changing now, as they looked a little oily, probably oil floating about the inlet manifold, I'm thinking it might have leaked out as I removed the manifold but can't be sure.

My biggest question though is the oil cooler, I was looking at maybe is it worth changing now, do they fail that often or are they only once in a blue moon type failures, at much higher miles (I'm about 87k) granted I looked at the cost, nearly 400 bucks for an original vx one. Are they easy enough to check. I've got the inlet off and can't see any sign of it yet, is it under the lower section between the V?

Also is it worth changing the crank oil seal, no sign of leaks mind you but I'm just wondering if it starts leaking a year or so later, I'm taking all this shit out again just for a silly seal.

This, and what else might I be worth changing/checking while I'm in there.

Cheers
Andrew

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Things to check while doing belt and oil breathers
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2021, 20:18:05 »

If the coolant has been changed regularly then the oil cooler should outlive the car.

If the coolant has been in since it left the factory or is blue, then it's £150 well spent. Changing the thermostat whilst the valley is accessible is another prudent step.

That way, you know that the job is done right.
Onanists always think outside the box.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2021, 14:48:38 »

I've got the inlet off and can't see any sign of it yet, is it under the lower section between the V?

Yes, all the plenum sections need to come off. Then there is a black plastic inlet divider that needs to be removed (please block the inlet ports on the head, rags or painters tape). Under that is a metal plate with 2 metal pipes coming out of is. The cooler is fastened to the underside of this plate.

I will, say there will be an excellent guide in the how2 section.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2021, 17:08:40 »

If the coolant has been changed regularly then the oil cooler should outlive the car.

If the coolant has been in since it left the factory or is blue, then it's £150 well spent. Changing the thermostat whilst the valley is accessible is another prudent step.

That way, you know that the job is done right.

I changed it at 70k, looked quite clean, put the proper red coolant in it, and will do that again this time so fingers crossed.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2021, 17:10:50 »

I've got the inlet off and can't see any sign of it yet, is it under the lower section between the V?

Yes, all the plenum sections need to come off. Then there is a black plastic inlet divider that needs to be removed (please block the inlet ports on the head, rags or painters tape). Under that is a metal plate with 2 metal pipes coming out of is. The cooler is fastened to the underside of this plate.

I will, say there will be an excellent guide in the how2 section.

I didn't look hard enough lol, I can sort of see it now, although still covered by plastic inlet thingy. Don't worry I'm well versed on blocking those holes off. I don't think there is a guide to be honest, maybe I missed it but tried to see if one was there in the index.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2021, 20:36:42 »

Yep guide in the maintenance section.Click on guide index and scroll down past Engine common to petrol V6 and it's in that section.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2021, 20:26:43 »

Yep guide in the maintenance section.Click on guide index and scroll down past Engine common to petrol V6 and it's in that section.

Thanks, had a look at it, looks pretty much ok from what I can see.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2021, 21:37:20 »

Yes all pretty straightforward.I did mine in a cramped lock up garage,and if I can do it anyone can! Oil cooler "kit" I bought came with everything needed[cooler/cover plate/seals] except for coolant bridge Dowty washers and grey goo which had to be bought separately.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.