Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: Bus nostalgia  (Read 222559 times)

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Bus nostalgia
« Reply #1350 on: 13 January 2013, 11:36:12 »

Anyone remember Edwards Coaches of Markham?

Steve

Doesn't appear so Steve, though you may well remember these:

One of the West Monmouthshire Omnibus Board's Leyland Tiger Cubs at the Penmaen, Blackwood depot.
New in 1960, this one has a Willowbrook body to the contemporary BET Federation style.

The same bus at Bargoed's Hanbury Square awaiting departure for nearby Markham.
The Larkspur Blue/Snowberry White livery replaced the crimson/cream scheme during the early 1970s.

Local goverment reorganisation in the mid-70s saw the name change to Islwyn Borough Transport.
The livery was modified with the addition of a deeper shade of blue, with 'IBT' branding replacing the 'West Mon' fleetname.

Upon cessation of the lightweight Tiger Cub model, the undertaking turned to the heavyweight Leopard for subsequent deliveries.
Most were of the 10-metre PSU4 variant, and were bodied by Marshall or Willowbrook.

A Willowbrook-bodied PSU4 Leopard in the later livery.
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: 13 January 2013, 14:21:15 »

Thanks Byron!
I expect I've been on most of those!

I used to catch the one from Hanbury Square Bargoed after shopping with my mother and the others would have been used catching the bus back and forth to school.
Wish I was young again!
Always remember the double deckers as having four seats together upstairs with the corridor on the outside.

Cheers

Steve
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: 13 January 2013, 14:23:51 »

The West Mon buses look to situated at the old depot in Blackwood-where Aldi's is now-I seem to remember there was also a bus depot next to Libanus school in Blackwood-more or less opposite the petrol station.

Steve
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: 13 January 2013, 14:52:52 »

Good pictures as always,is it me or does the wallowing in nostalgia get worse as you get older?

Badger

• lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: 13 January 2013, 14:53:51 »

WoW. Just discovered this thread, I thought I was the only bus/coach enthusiast on here, fantastic stuff! I'm not a fan of the modern vehicles but having been a psv fitter back in the early 80s I can remember a lot of the classics on this thread and have worked on quite a few of them. It's so sad what has happened to the British bus industry, all those manufacturers gone. I can rememeber a time when virtually every bus and coach on the road was British, my old gaffer wouldn't have anything foreign on the yard, now he has no choice  :(

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: 13 January 2013, 17:42:59 »

Always remember the double deckers as having four seats together upstairs with the corridor on the outside.

Cheers

Steve

Indeed Steve - all West Mon double-deckers were of this classic 'Lowbridge' seating layout on the top deck.

In fact, for some years West Mon's standard double-decker was the 27 ft Leyland Titan PD2 with Massey Bros lowbridge rear entrance bodywork. Straightforward, rugged and utterly reliable buses, their 9.8-litre Leyland O.600 engines made light work of the punishing Valleys terrain. Drive was via a single-plate clutch and 4-speed 'box (constant mesh on 1st; synchromesh on the rest) to an offset underslung-worm rear axle.

Resting at the Blackwood depot in the 'old' livery.
The Board specified doors on the rear platform, rather than traditional 'open' platforms.

Another Massey-bodied PD2 Titan repainted into the later livery.
Although centred on Blackwood, some of the Board's routes radiated into neighbouring valleys - this example is heading for Crumlin in Monmouthshire's Ebbw Valley.
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1356 on: 14 January 2013, 19:49:40 »

I have just seen the new Foxy Bingo advert on TV, about their "Foxy Bus".

Does anyone recognise the coach?  It looks so similar to my old 1958 Duple Chilterns Queens coach:

http://playingbingo.co.uk/2013/01/14/ride-foxy-prize-bus/

;) ;)

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: 14 January 2013, 20:17:21 »

Does anyone recognise the coach?  It looks so similar to my old 1958 Duple Chilterns Queens coach:

;) ;)

'Cos they're both bodied by Duple (then at Hendon).

Yours (on a heavyweight AEC Reliance chassis), was a centre-entranced 'Britannia' whilst the front-entranced version was badged as the 'Elizabethan'. The fine example in the film is a 'Super Vega' (on the lightweight petrol-engined Bedford SBG chassis), and also oft-referred to as a 'butterfly front'
Many common bodywork components throughout the range - notably the rear end assembly. ;)
« Last Edit: 14 January 2013, 20:20:36 by Seth »

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: 14 January 2013, 20:57:58 »

The West Mon buses look to situated at the old depot in Blackwood-where Aldi's is now-I seem to remember there was also a bus depot next to Libanus school in Blackwood-more or less opposite the petrol station.

Steve
yes i used to work in the one by aldi :y :y

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: 14 January 2013, 20:59:42 »

Cheers

Steve

Indeed Steve - all West Mon double-deckers were of this classic 'Lowbridge' seating layout on the top deck.

In fact, for some years West Mon's standard double-decker was the 27 ft Leyland Titan PD2 with Massey Bros lowbridge rear entrance bodywork. Straightforward, rugged and utterly reliable buses, their 9.8-litre Leyland O.600 engines made light work of the punishing Valleys terrain. Drive was via a single-plate clutch and 4-speed 'box (constant mesh on 1st; synchromesh on the rest) to an offset underslung-worm rear axle.

Resting at the Blackwood depot in the 'old' livery.
The Board specified doors on the rear platform, rather than traditional 'open' platforms.

Another Massey-bodied PD2 Titan repainted into the later livery.
Although centred on Blackwood, some of the Board's routes radiated into neighbouring valleys - this example is heading for Crumlin in Monmouthshire's Ebbw Valley.

number 17 was as cold as ice in the winter :y :y

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: 14 January 2013, 21:02:56 »

Steve

One of the West Monmouthshire Omnibus Board's Leyland Tiger Cubs at the Penmaen, Blackwood depot.
New in 1960, this one has a Willowbrook body to the contemporary BET Federation style.

The Larkspur Blue/Snowberry White livery replaced the crimson/cream scheme during the early 1970s.

Local goverment reorganisation in the mid-70s saw the name change to Islwyn Borough Transport.
The livery was modified with the addition of a deeper shade of blue, with 'IBT' branding replacing the 'West Mon' fleetname.

Upon cessation of the lightweight Tiger Cub model, the undertaking turned to the heavyweight Leopard for subsequent deliveries.
Most were of the 10-metre PSU4 variant, and were bodied by Marshall or Willowbrook.

i used to work on most of them bone shakers from 70 to 75 :y :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #1361 on: 15 January 2013, 14:01:45 »

;) ;)

'Cos they're both bodied by Duple (then at Hendon).

Yours (on a heavyweight AEC Reliance chassis), was a centre-entranced 'Britannia' whilst the front-entranced version was badged as the 'Elizabethan'. The fine example in the film is a 'Super Vega' (on the lightweight petrol-engined Bedford SBG chassis), and also oft-referred to as a 'butterfly front'
Many common bodywork components throughout the range - notably the rear end assembly. ;)

Thanks Byron! :y :y :y

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: 10 February 2013, 01:22:21 »

Talking of Duple coach bodies, here's a slightly earlier version of their 'Britannia' offering:

A 1957 front-entranced version on a Leyland Tiger Cub chassis of Lizzie's former coach below (on an AEC Reliance chassis):

Notice the different layout of the aluminium mouldings on the bodysides for the 1958 season.
« Last Edit: 10 February 2013, 01:37:17 by Seth »

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: 10 February 2013, 02:10:26 »

Steve

its not penmaen depot .its blackwood seth where the aldi store is now and i wored on all off them buses from 70 to 74 :y :y
« Last Edit: 10 February 2013, 02:12:42 by bored bigyin54 »

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: 10 February 2013, 06:55:52 »

and as you can see the markam bus got no driver on .more than likely in the cafe haveing a cup off tea like always ;D ;D that was before one man operator  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 101   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.