Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Struggling with omega ownership at the moment 🤦‍♂️  (Read 1589 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Struggling with omega ownership at the moment 🤦‍♂️
« on: 27 September 2020, 15:24:55 »

So firstly thanks to his royal D.G.ness for all help with the instrument cluster issue. No issues so far touch wood after cleaning the corrosion off and refitting. As I say “touch wood”.

So how does my omega repay me for doing that, servicing it and polishing it..... that’s right I find some water intrusion at the bottom corner of the NSF windscreen. It’s in the corner (approx 100mm by 100mm corner and seems to have turned white. I went to the bp car wash and only noticed it after that. What are my chances that it was just the high pressure water, it’ll dribble out by tomorrow morning and I can put a nice smear of silicone poo at that corner? Or what are the chances I’ll have to get the screen resealed?

Anyone any experience with this I’d be much appreciative.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling with omega ownership at the moment 🤦‍♂️
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2020, 15:31:20 »

In my experience it indicates rust under the screen. Remedy is to remove the screen, cut out the rust, weld new metal in, then have the screen replaced.
Sorry to bring bad news, but I would be surprised if the answer is anything simpler or less unpleasant.  :(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2020, 15:35:22 »

Oh. Scheisse. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2020, 15:37:34 »

If you mean the bottom corner of the screen has turned white, then you have a problem.

First, your screen is knackered, because the three layers(two of glass, and the plastic layer bonded between them) are delaminating. There is no fix for this, and just like a crack the damage will spread.

Second the screen is not the real problem, but a symptom of it.

The usual reason for a delaminated screen is that the edge, or a corner, has been soaked in water which is creeping into the joint. This is also why welded flanges like wheelarches fail.

So, you need a new screen and to fix the cause of the problem. Poke around and under all of the trim you can reach, but you need to remove the screen to reveal the problem which is almost certainly rust. And that's a horrible place to repair.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2020, 16:00:43 »

Ok thanks nick. Does the windscreen rubber trim (that covers the plastic nuts for the scuttle) easily pull off? Or is the rust going to be actually under the screen where the screen is bonded?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2020, 16:02:45 »

And while I’m there what needs to come off to check bulkhead? I know the NS and OS drain areas are free cos I checked them not too long ago. But thinking bulkhead behind the engine?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2020, 16:10:11 »

And while I’m there what needs to come off to check bulkhead? I know the NS and OS drain areas are free cos I checked them not too long ago. But thinking bulkhead behind the engine?

To check the area? You'll probably notice the rusty hole that the screen should be bonded to. Then it's just the normal job  of poking away at the edges until you find solid metal. Use something like the MOT tester's tool(you can buy those) or a medium screwdriver/chisel.

This is not a job you're going to enjoy :-\

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2020, 16:18:58 »

Thanks nick. Does that rubber trim covering bottom of screen just pull off?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2020, 18:18:38 »

It does yes, but the worst of the problem will be under the screen Im afraid.
I suspect if you do the usual insurance claim for cracked screen they will come and take the screen out, then discover the rust and tell you they cant put the new screen in until thats fixed.
You then get the area repaired, and contact them again to come and finish the job.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2020, 19:34:44 »

Cheers albs. That was going to be the plan. Just worried about how long this’ll take as it’s my daily. What exactly is the bugger about this? Obviously access is good. I take it getting it to sit exactly where the original did. And I take it the panels aren’t available thus I’ll be making it up with steel?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2020, 19:44:12 »

Cheers albs. That was going to be the plan. Just worried about how long this’ll take as it’s my daily. What exactly is the bugger about this? Obviously access is good. I take it getting it to sit exactly where the original did. And I take it the panels aren’t available thus I’ll be making it up with steel?

Access is atrocious!!

It's several panels joined together. The flange is a stepped panel that is curved along its length. How are you going to repair the lower panel without melting the the dash? How are you going to get the torch far enough down the hole - that's why the repairs I did to Amba's car last week could have been better if we had removed the A/C lines, battery try, ABS ECU etc. If it's right in the corner you have the windscreen pillar to deal with. Plus, the repair needs to conform to the compound curve of the windscreen, be completely blended in so there's no pressure points on the screen, accommodate the screen fittings, and be painted to match the scuttle.

Repairing rotted screen surrounds is a horrible job.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2020, 19:52:57 »

Ok I was just thinking it would be a panel that I’d simply cut out and weld new one in. Clearly it’s a lot more difficult than I imagined. And being totally honest sounds a bit out of my skill set. I can weld and have welded the odd plate in here and there for mot repairs but normally my welding is exhaust hangers and exhaust repairs. But this sounds a lot shittier than that. Got a lot to think about. But thanks so much for the info guys. Legends as always 😘😘😘
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.