Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: OK, WTF am I doing wrong? (battery)  (Read 5448 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: OK, WTF am I doing wrong? (battery)
« Reply #15 on: 06 April 2013, 21:07:17 »

well after playing around for what seemed like hours with jump leads, high revs and different block connections i lost my rag and bought a new one. 52 quid with halfords trade card. the battery just wouldnt charge at all :-( anyway it turned out a good day (only just finished) as replaced breather bridge and replaced CTS. took her for a twenty minute run. She's gorgeous to drive. :-) rough idle though oddly. Ill sort that tomorrow though. Gonna write the CTS guide tomorrow too
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 April 2013, 22:25:44 »

ps, if this is of any interest to anyone, when i removed the inlets/fuel rail there was bags of room to get to the dispac. Easily get to the bolts and bags of room to get it outta there. With this in mind I'm gonna put it back where it came from. I can hear a few 'i told you so's' lol. BUT. not because its moving around cos its not. . Its sat nicely in place. But it is stretching the connector which I'm concerned about. So anyway ill be removing the inlet again when i do this. Just wondered if this is of any help :-)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 April 2013, 11:25:00 »

ps, if this is of any interest to anyone, when i removed the inlets/fuel rail there was bags of room to get to the dispac. Easily get to the bolts and bags of room to get it outta there. With this in mind I'm gonna put it back where it came from. I can hear a few 'i told you so's' lol. BUT. not because its moving around cos its not. . Its sat nicely in place. But it is stretching the connector which I'm concerned about. So anyway ill be removing the inlet again when i do this. Just wondered if this is of any help :-)
Told you so :P ;D
Grumpy old man

omega3000

« Reply #18 on: 07 April 2013, 15:50:39 »

Told you so :P ;D

;D :P :P :P :P :P :P

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 April 2013, 17:50:12 »

you guys are hilarious lol :P well she's all good. New CTS, new dispac, new leads, new battery. She'S running gorgeous apart from idle. However even though idle aint perfect its a lot better than yesterday . Will be back later with CTS guide :-)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

albitz

« Reply #20 on: 07 April 2013, 17:53:54 »

Cleaned ICV ?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 April 2013, 18:12:30 »

yes mate :-)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #22 on: 07 April 2013, 22:19:53 »

Cleaned ICV ?

Takes a while to settle down after its been cleaned , mine use to cut out a few times but a few run outs and was fine  :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 April 2013, 22:21:31 »

Cleaned ICV ?

Takes a while to settle down after its been cleaned , mine use to cut out a few times but a few run outs and was fine  :)

ill keep that in mind, cheers steve  :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 April 2013, 22:35:56 »

If its flat, 10 mins connected to a good battery is not enough. You will need the good car to be at around 3k to 4k RPM, in order to give a decent jump  :)

Did I read it wrong then, thought Webby meant dead as in wouldn't Jump start?

I read it as he hooked up dead battery to a good one, and just left it?  :-\ Attempting to charge it? Need some revs though to get it to start, an idling good car won't have enough juice
Oh yes it will, well... Might ;) But it's high demand. I jump of an idling van frequently ;) Even jumped lorries off my Astra van in the past ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 April 2013, 23:21:33 »

you can jump a car from another car with the engine off if you really want, just like using a jump starter battery, better in fact as the car battery will be bigger.  However  it's definitely best to at least have the other car idling and if you rev it you will have a better chance (higher voltage).  Last thing you want is to drain the other car battery and find it won't start either. 

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 April 2013, 23:48:25 »

If you leave the "donor" car idling for a few minutes you are transferring charge into the flat battery. That's directly connected to the starter motor of the stranded car, so stands a much better chance of starting it than the donor battery through a set of jump leads. The resistance of a set of jump leads (especially poor quality ones) often means the starter simply can't draw enough current otherwise.

You get next to no transfer of charge into the flat battery unless the donor engine is running and the alternator is achieving 14+ Volts. Most modern alternators will achieve this at idle unless heavily loaded.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

pembsomega

• pembrokeshire, wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 April 2013, 16:31:12 »

im sorry, but thats horsesh*te, revving the other car will make no difference

what volts do cars with alternators run at? do your lights get brighter when you rev the engine at night??

the alternator puts out 13.4v ot there abouts no matter what the revs are

what you needed was more time not more revs

thats not opinion thats a fact.

muchlove

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 April 2013, 17:14:57 »

im sorry, but thats horsesh*te, revving the other car will make no difference

what volts do cars with alternators run at? do your lights get brighter when you rev the engine at night??

the alternator puts out 13.4v ot there abouts no matter what the revs are

what you needed was more time not more revs

thats not opinion thats a fact.

muchlove

Afraid it will, with a totally flat Battery off the Alternator the output will be under considerable load at tick over and probably fall below 13v, revving to around 2000 rpm will induce more current in to the rectifier and bring the voltage up to a more expected Charge Voltage.

Headlights getting brighter when revving?, again probably with a flat battery in situ.

Alternators are designed to run a Charge Voltage of 13.8 under load and will exceed this voltage to 14v+ under minimal load and a fully charged battery as the Battery is then running as more of a capacitor across the load.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2013, 17:17:40 by zirk »

pembsomega

• pembrokeshire, wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 April 2013, 17:24:17 »

the advice given was to rev it to 4-5k, thats the horsesh*te

yes a totally flat battery may need 2k if youre in a rush, but revvig to 4/5k? WASTE OF PETROL

also leaving it at tickover would recitfy the problem yes?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.