Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: OK, WTF am I doing wrong? (battery)  (Read 5452 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: OK, WTF am I doing wrong? (battery)
« Reply #30 on: 08 April 2013, 17:31:29 »

im sorry, but thats horsesh*te, revving the other car will make no difference

what volts do cars with alternators run at? do your lights get brighter when you rev the engine at night??

the alternator puts out 13.4v ot there abouts no matter what the revs are

what you needed was more time not more revs

thats not opinion thats a fact.

muchlove

You'll soon be stranded with only 13.4 Volts from your alternator, I'm afraid. ;)

14.4. is more like it.

Whilst the regulator built into the alternator will probably target 14.4 Volts all the time (some smarter designs adjust the voltage intelligently), the amount of current that the alternator can deliver depends on the speed at which it is rotating. Due to the wide speed range over which they must operate, they won't deliver their full rated output current until the engine is rotating at significantly over idle speed.

So, speed won't affect regulated output voltage directly, but if the alternator is heavily loaded (by a flat battery, for example) the Voltage may well drop below this unless you lift the revs, hence it is good advice to do so in this scenario.

Oh, and if you disagree with someone, feel free to do so respectfully.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 April 2013, 17:41:06 »

the advice given was to rev it to 4-5k, thats the horsesh*te

yes a totally flat battery may need 2k if youre in a rush, but revvig to 4/5k? WASTE OF PETROL

also leaving it at tickover would recitfy the problem yes?

Again with a totally flat battery, probably not, leaving it at tickover for a while will probably just keep kicking in the cooling fans and disrupt any charge to the battery, takes a long time to get a fully flat Battery back up to full charge mode, Id rather take it for a good spin or whip the battery off and charge it rather than leave just ticking over.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 April 2013, 17:46:09 »

Interesting read on the comments.

Well car is still idling rough. The sound of it sounds more tractor like at idle when I look under the bonnet. I'm wondering if I've accidentally caused a misfire. I made sure for absolute definite that I got the leads hooked up correctly. when I put some revs on it sounds a lot better... although there seems to be no loss of power, temp gauge bang on at 90. just the bag of spanners sound  :-\

Wondering if a TechII live data read would reveal anything?

Any advice welcome.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 April 2013, 17:50:05 »

Well car is still idling rough. The sound of it sounds more tractor like at idle when I look under the bonnet. I'm wondering if I've accidentally caused a misfire. I made sure for absolute definite that I got the leads hooked up correctly. when I put some revs on it sounds a lot better... although there seems to be no loss of power, temp gauge bang on at 90. just the bag of spanners sound  :-\

Any advice welcome.

Probably, but as for your original post topic and others to come, I reckon you invest in a half decent DVM.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 April 2013, 17:51:05 »

Any advice welcome.

Probably, but as for your original post topic and others to come, I reckon you invest in a half decent DVM.

Is on my list mate... sadly the money I've had to drop to go to mechanic school means i'm very, very.............very, very, very poor  :'( :'( :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 April 2013, 17:56:31 »

Any advice welcome.

Is on my list mate... sadly the money I've had to drop to go to mechanic school means i'm very, very.............very, very, very poor  :'( :'( :'(

I fully understand that webby, but it will be a good investment, nothing fancy, Ive allways rated Flukes myself, even an old second hand Fluke 77 or simular of the Bay would be a good starting tool  :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 April 2013, 18:00:06 »

Any advice welcome.

I fully understand that webby, but it will be a good investment, nothing fancy, Ive allways rated Flukes myself, even an old second hand Fluke 77 or simular of the Bay would be a good starting tool  :y

I'll check them out. Thanks Zirk  :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 April 2013, 18:13:42 »

Cut out the bigmac meal and you have enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-MULTIMETER-VOLTMETER-AMMETER-VOLT-OHM-METER-VOLTAGE-TESTER-TOP-Quality-/171020624002?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item27d19fa082

It will do for now or longer.

Why so cheap?  :-\

Basic but functional

Have one of these in the front draw of the tin tent, useful for the odd circuit check/resistance check etc .. no great shakes but they work, and if they get stood on .. buy another !!

I have a more accurate, more sophisticated digital one at home, used for accurate measurements and work on computer stuff, but it not needed for basic car type checks.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 April 2013, 18:17:42 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-MULTIMETER-VOLTMETER-AMMETER-VOLT-OHM-METER-VOLTAGE-TESTER-TOP-Quality-/171020624002?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item27d19fa082

Why so cheap?  :-\

Basic but functional

Have one of these in the front draw of the tin tent, useful for the odd circuit check/resistance check etc .. no great shakes but they work, and if they get stood on .. buy another !!

I have a more accurate, more sophisticated digital one at home, used for accurate measurements and work on computer stuff, but it not needed for basic car type checks.

Thanks Entwood..... just ordered. Can't grumble at that price!!!  :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 April 2013, 18:20:53 »

I saw them in the Pound Shop.... ended up getting some Wagon Wheels instead, Yum!  ;)

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 08 April 2013, 18:21:08 »

was going to say look here for good reliable meters...mine as bounced many a time from the top of a ladder

http://www.batterytester.co.uk/Multimeters-Accessories-and-Clamp.php
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 08 April 2013, 18:59:15 »

Thanks for the info guys  :y I'll use the one I've ordered and see what it enables me to do  :y

On an aside, am I right in thinking that if I have a misfire my 2.5 V6 wont throw up a check engine light, correct? If that's correct then will it show on a live data read on a TechII sesh?  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 08 April 2013, 19:10:38 »

Cheapo meter will suffice. No need to buy expensive Flukes etc, as you're not interested in calibration and accuracy.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.