Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: OK, WTF am I doing wrong? (battery)  (Read 5470 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
OK, WTF am I doing wrong? (battery)
« on: 06 April 2013, 14:34:57 »

This car has NEVER had an issue starting even with leaving it for a week. Go to pull it on drive this morning and it turned over very slowly and then just stopped. Odd i thought but no problem ill get my jump leads out. Positive to positive. Negative on battery terminal of good running car. Negative other end on lifting eye of omega. Ten minutes and still absolutely dead. Not one bit of an improvement. :-( is this battery toast? And if so would the cold weather have caused its rapid decline (last driven 3 days ago). Just would like your thoughts before i purchase new battery. I know its battery cos all beeps in car are laaaazy.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: OK, WTF am I doing wrong? (battery)
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2013, 14:37:55 »

Volt meter?, what happens if you put Jump Leads Battery to Battery terminals directly?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2013, 14:39:53 »

i sadly dont have a volt meter zirk. I never tried battery to battery as i thought it had to be on the chassis or block
RIP Paul Lovejoy

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2013, 14:40:44 »

If its flat, 10 mins connected to a good battery is not enough. You will need the good car to be at around 3k to 4k RPM, in order to give a decent jump  :)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 April 2013, 14:43:21 »

If its flat, 10 mins connected to a good battery is not enough. You will need the good car to be at around 3k to 4k RPM, in order to give a decent jump  :)

Did I read it wrong then, thought Webby meant dead as in wouldn't Jump start?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2013, 14:44:31 »

ok fair do's. Cheers guys. Ill have to wait for mummy bear to get back now though. Wonder if the battery is on its way out though bearing in mind I've left it for a lot longer and never had any kind of issue? There's definitely no electrical items on that could drain it either.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2013, 14:46:45 »

I read it as he hooked up dead battery to a good one, and just left it?  :-\ Attempting to charge it? Need some revs though to get it to start, an idling good car won't have enough juice

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2013, 14:48:51 »

thats right tunnie. I did put few revs on but only two grand for a couple of those ten minutes. Ill do it lot longer when mummy gets back and put the revs on :-)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2013, 14:52:37 »

I read it as he hooked up dead battery to a good one, and just left it?  :-\ Attempting to charge it? Need some revs though to get it to start, an idling good car won't have enough juice

Clarification needed for me then, My normal procedure would be, jump start dead car, wait a couple of minutes whilst finishing Tea and putting known good battery and jump leads in passenger side and go for a good long spin.  ;)

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2013, 15:29:22 »

This car has NEVER had an issue starting even with leaving it for a week. Go to pull it on drive this morning and it turned over very slowly and then just stopped. Odd i thought but no problem ill get my jump leads out. Positive to positive. Negative on battery terminal of good running car. Negative other end on lifting eye of omega. Ten minutes and still absolutely dead. Not one bit of an improvement. :-( is this battery toast? And if so would the cold weather have caused its rapid decline (last driven 3 days ago). Just would like your thoughts before i purchase new battery. I know its battery cos all beeps in car are laaaazy.

Cold weather and hot weather can discharge what seems to be a good battery quickly.  :y when you get it started drive it to a spares shop and see if they have a drop tester that way you will know if battery is a dead'n.  :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2013, 15:51:01 »

Cold weather and hot weather can discharge what seems to be a good battery quickly.  :y when you get it started drive it to a spares shop and see if they have a drop tester that way you will know if battery is a dead'n:y

If your going to do that, fully charge the Battery first then leave it alone for a day or two, a perfectly good Battery thats partaily or discharged will fail a drop test.  :y

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2013, 16:05:19 »

Cold weather and hot weather can discharge what seems to be a good battery quickly.  :y when you get it started drive it to a spares shop and see if they have a drop tester that way you will know if battery is a dead'n:y

If your going to do that, fully charge the Battery first then leave it alone for a day or two, a perfectly good Battery thats partaily or discharged will fail a drop test.  :y

Yup sorry forgot to put that.  ::) :-[

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2013, 16:59:31 »

I have had a battery which was ok one day but dead the next The cold weather can kill a battery

Simon.rose1

• Walsall
    • Omega 2.5v6 cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 April 2013, 17:15:42 »

My last vec broke down middle of the m5 in traffic after 2 hours drive when AA came out after being towed on to hard shoulder volts at battery were none exictant but on bat leads the other side the clamps was 14.4v turned out it was dodgy crimp on the clamps had them soldered up by auto electrician no probs after

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 April 2013, 19:19:57 »

Connected to lifting eye? I wonder if its not making a decent contact?
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 22 queries.