Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: One more quick thing (steering vibration)....  (Read 1885 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
One more quick thing (steering vibration)....
« on: 04 December 2013, 22:10:37 »

....sorry to keep posting help threads but since my ma hit the kerb theres been a few issues  ::)

Hopefully sorted my suspension issues but the other thing I completely forgot to mention was that ever since the kerb-smack there's a barely perceptible steering wheel vibration between 25 and 30mph.

am I right in thinking main culprit would be wheel balancing.....

if not that then to look for a bent wheel/bad tyre....

and if not that we're talking bent wishbone? which bearing in mind the creaking has reared its ugly head with confirmation today of the fubar'd wishbone bush could it be that it all started from a bent WB?

cheers boys and I promise ill bugger off soon  ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: One more quick thing (steering vibration)....
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2013, 22:14:55 »

Sounds about right to me  :-\
Don't know how much force it would take to bend the wb, but something else might suffer first?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2013, 22:22:48 »

Thanks Jonny. To be honest even if it was bent its not a problem.... the bushes need doing so it only means I get it (or them) out from under the car as opposed to doing it in situ...

...although just for convenience I hope it's the wheel balancing  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2013, 22:28:09 »

I'm in the process of organising 4 wheel setup,  but having read your posts I'm now considering some preventative maintenance. Wb are already poly'd, and new droplinks fitted this year, but wondering if it's worth new tie rods? No mention at mot in September though, so is it a case of " if it's not broke ........."?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2013, 22:31:25 »

In my experience wheel balance issues have always shown up at higher speeds than that. However they may still happen at lower speeds. ???

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2013, 22:34:04 »

I'm in the process of organising 4 wheel setup,  but having read your posts I'm now considering some preventative maintenance. Wb are already poly'd, and new droplinks fitted this year, but wondering if it's worth new tie rods? No mention at mot in September though, so is it a case of " if it's not broke ........."?

Wouldn't have thought it's necessary mate... unless you find something suspect  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2013, 22:36:26 »

In my experience wheel balance issues have always shown up at higher speeds than that. However they may still happen at lower speeds. ???

Yeah same as mate/...last one was at 70-80. but ill see if I can get them balanced at college.

presumably if you had a bent/buckled wheel that wasn't immediately visible this would be found out on the balancing machine when it tells you that you need to add 2 tonnes on? lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2013, 22:37:51 »

Wouldn't have thought it's necessary mate... unless you find something suspect  :y

Yep, think I'll leave it alone for now.

chrisgixer

« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2013, 23:26:59 »

....sorry to keep posting help threads but since my ma hit the kerb theres been a few issues  ::)

Hopefully sorted my suspension issues but the other thing I completely forgot to mention was that ever since the kerb-smack there's a barely perceptible steering wheel vibration between 25 and 30mph.

and if not that we're talking bent wishbone? which bearing in mind the creaking has reared its ugly head with confirmation today of the fubar'd wishbone bush could it be that it all started from a bent WB?

Bent wishbone won't cause a vibration, it will bugger the geometry and the steering will be off. But a knackered wb bush might cause a wobble on the steering.

Wheel or tyre damage is usually present at all speeds in ine form or another, ime.

Tbh Webby, I would hope that the wheels and tyres have been thoroughly inspected and that the owner is 100% cirtain there is no issue at all in that area, before the car is driven again.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2013, 23:53:43 »

Bent wishbone won't cause a vibration, it will bugger the geometry and the steering will be off. But a knackered wb bush might cause a wobble on the steering.

Wheel or tyre damage is usually present at all speeds in ine form or another, ime.

Tbh Webby, I would hope that the wheels and tyres have been thoroughly inspected and that the owner is 100% cirtain there is no issue at all in that area, before the car is driven again.

Yeah my initial post doesn't really highlight the inspections I've been doing... apologies for that.

I've had the wheels off and gave them a good going over.... no odd tyre wear, no bulges or cuts or anything untoward. I span the wheels and also cant see anything odd.

I suppose what I was really getting at is finding a buckle that was imperceptible to the eye cos obviously I don't have anything other than them to look for issues, that's why I asked if a balancing machine would pick up something I couldn't spot just by looking :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2013, 00:56:45 »

Balancer can still balance an out of round wheel. So although balanced it will still vibrate.

Did you check the inboard rim? This is the weakest as there's no spokes to support it. The outboard rim can take a lot more hammer than the inboard side. Apologies if stating the obvious there.

Just spin the wheel by hand, you may need to push the callipers back a tad so it spins nice and freely, so you can observe the rim edge clearly.

But if your happy with the wheels for damage, time to re balance. But as said, a balance issue usually shows act higher speeds IMO. 70-90 being the most likely Ime.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2013, 01:21:49 »

not stating the obvious at all chris... id rather every avenue was looked at before condemning parts as faulty  :y

going to be honest I looked at the inside wall of the tires whe they were off and I looked at the outside when I was spinning.... I didn't spin them whilst observing the inboard wheel  :-[.... but what you've said makes total sense and ill get a look tomorrow morning as im in college late tomorrow  :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2013, 13:11:07 »

I think your just dreaming up all these issues at night , you just want to take your car to bits for practice really  ;D ;D :D :-* :-* Wanna fix my handbrake  ;D ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2013, 13:12:06 »

Once again, sorry to post again regarding this but i am just trying to get myself a list of what i need to do to get the car riding tip top again. For some reason my slow brain is making this a bit of a mountain out of a molehill.  ::)

Can i ask this first.... as i've mentioned i've been under the car and pried on everything. if a steering or a suspension component was bent would it be loose and immediately obvious when i started prying on components? Reason is cos i feel i've done all the checks i can as i've pried on everything and using this method the only thing i've found bad is the wish bone bushes.

when i take it to WIM (which i'm going to do after i've rectified this small vibration and the suspension creaking) i obviously want the car to be geo'd with all components healthy....otherwise i risk having to replace further parts and then paying for another alignment.

So below is what i plan to do and why.... can you let me know if there's anything else i can do....

looking at the 25-30mph vibration first...
1.) Recheck for wheel being buckled, outboard and inboard (i'm confident it's not this as i've checked them but i'm going to check and triple-check for good measure)
2.) Wheels re-balanced

Suspension creaks from rear and front...
1.) replace front wishbone bushes... there's definitely slop there and was an advisory on MOT anyway.
2.) replace ARB bushes... going to do these for good measure as they're easy and as a preventative measure
3.) replace donut bushes... as mentioned by chris these didnt give any play or movement at all (pushed on the rubber bumps) but the noise definitely went away when soaked in silicone spray. again not overly expensive and quite happy to replace them based on the testing and all other components were tight
4.) wheel alignment and steering geo at WIM.

one final thing....is there any seperate checks on the steering i can do other than prying for looseness? as said i'm keen to not get to WIM and hand over £115 for them to set it up and some part of the steering is bent and have to then replace that and have another alignment done....OR can the alignment/steering geo still be done with a bent part as it will just have to compensate for it... i assume not but i thought i'd ask.

cheers boys. sorry for huge post but just feel i'm a bit outta my depth as i have little to no experience of these and it's such a critical and detailed part of the car

:)

RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2013, 13:12:30 »

I think your just dreaming up all these issues at night , you just want to take your car to bits for practice really  ;D ;D :D :-* :-* Wanna fix my handbrake  ;D ;D

Hahaha dreaming they'll go away mate  ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #15 on: 05 December 2013, 15:06:00 »

Polybush what you can :y

Cheapy pattern bushes are best avoided as they are of intermittent quality, and polys easily outlast even genuine, yet cost about the same...
« Last Edit: 05 December 2013, 15:12:10 by ex taxi al »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 December 2013, 15:13:26 »

Cheers Taxi.... so you think my list of things i'm going to do is right?  :)

As said dont really know where to go after that
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

« Reply #17 on: 05 December 2013, 15:30:22 »

Once again, sorry to post again regarding this but i am just trying to get myself a list of what i need to do to get the car riding tip top again. For some reason my slow brain is making this a bit of a mountain out of a molehill.  ::)

Can i ask this first.... as i've mentioned i've been under the car and pried on everything. if a steering or a suspension component was bent would it be loose and immediately obvious when i started prying on components? Reason is cos i feel i've done all the checks i can as i've pried on everything and using this method the only thing i've found bad is the wish bone bushes.
prying finds play or movement or how much movement there is. A bent component can't be found this way, although If a joint has been over stressed due to impact then it's worth a visual exam of the surrounding parts.
 The most obvious sign of a bent steering or suspension part is in the steering. Is the steering wheel now off centre? Or in a different position than it was before at least? Does it pull where it didn't before? If it still drives the same as before I wouldn't worry too much as far as wishbones and track rods goes

when i take it to WIM (which i'm going to do after i've rectified this small vibration and the suspension creaking) i obviously want the car to be geo'd with all components healthy....otherwise i risk having to replace further parts and then paying for another alignment.
correct, although a wheel vibration won't affect the set up. Creaking, yes, you need to verify a part doesn't need replacing, or in the case of front ploys re-greasing, which involves removing the front wishbone bolt and affecting set up 

So below is what i plan to do and why.... can you let me know if there's anything else i can do....

looking at the 25-30mph vibration first...
1.) Recheck for wheel being buckled, outboard and inboard (i'm confident it's not this as i've checked them but i'm going to check and triple-check for good measure)
2.) Wheels re-balanced
I forget how the kerb was struck, but it's best to jack onto stands, get under the car and spin the wheels slowly and freely, while you see how true the rim, sidewall and tread run on both sides, run your hands along all surfaces looking for irregularities, look for stones, glass or nails in the tread while your there for anything that could force through and cause a puncture. ANYTHING out of round, dented, dinged, wobbly. A werp, sway or wiggle will give a vibration

Suspension creaks from rear and front...
1.) replace front wishbone bushes... there's definitely slop there and was an advisory on MOT anyway.
2.) replace ARB bushes... going to do these for good measure as they're easy and as a preventative measure
3.) replace donut bushes... as mentioned by chris these didnt give any play or movement at all (pushed on the rubber bumps) but the noise definitely went away when soaked in silicone spray. again not overly expensive and quite happy to replace them based on the testing and all other components were tight
4.) wheel alignment and steering geo at WIM.
all good
one final thing....is there any seperate checks on the steering i can do other than prying for looseness? as said i'm keen to not get to WIM and hand over £115 for them to set it up and some part of the steering is bent and have to then replace that and have another alignment done....OR can the alignment/steering geo still be done with a bent part as it will just have to compensate for it... i assume not but i thought i'd ask.
as above, it will compensate for anything that's bent but only if the settings can be reached and the component isn't bent too far. But as said these are very sensitive at the front, so if anything was bent you would notice through the feel and position of the steering wheel. You probably notice the imperfections in the road pulling the steering wheel out of your hands now, especially if there's a failed bush. The slightest movement in a pivot point or the road wheel compared to pre accident will show in the steering wheel position, or as a constant pull causing you to pull the car straight again. So imagine the effect a bent part would have on the steering, you'd feel it or see it in the steering wheel position

cheers boys. sorry for huge post but just feel i'm a bit outta my depth as i have little to no experience of these and it's such a critical and detailed part of the car

:)

btw, mention omega owners and you get a discount in the price ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #18 on: 05 December 2013, 15:33:57 »

To add, re silicon spray, spray each component one at a time, to eliminate one by one. ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 05 December 2013, 15:47:15 »

Shopping list as follows...

Front arms, drop links and track rods...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WISHBONE-SUSPENSION-ARMS-SET-KIT-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-B-NEW-/380773719872?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AOpel%7CModel%3AOmega+B&hash=item58a7e1df40&_xatps=0.50.50x1398.50x1398x18185x10526.0.0

Rebush the arms with genuine rears (vertical) and theses...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWERFLEX-SUSPENSION-BUSHES-FRONT-KIT-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-B-/310239139505?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483bb196b1

Rear donuts replace with theses...

http://www.monkfishperformance.co.uk/rear-end-pac--monaro-models-with-harrop-diff-cover_p23023672.htm

You might do the shocks and top mounts as well whilst it's in bits... ATP is as good a place as any, as their parts are ime more durable than Delphi/Firstline and they have good deals, two front struts are £85 for example

Get that list to Santa sharpish :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 December 2013, 17:44:08 »

Thanks for the detailed answer Chris and taxi for the links. very much appreciated!  :y

In terms of the steering wheel.....I think it's EVER SO slightly off but I do have to constantly move the wheel left and right to keep it straight. not moving it left and right like a mental case but it is noticeable.

I didn't mention this as I assumed it was just the alignment needed doing and that would get sorted at WIM.

So due to this is that pretty much confirmation that a part of the steering is bent? if so is it just a visual check that I can do for that? then what if I cant find anything bent?

I spoke to my teacher. He's convinced about the wheel or tyre being out of round. He's showed me how to check it again (I'm better looking at visuals) and to also measure between top of tire and strut and compare to the other side.... and to also measure between wheel arch (door side) and the tyre.... in the pursuit of confirming if somethings bent

what do you dudes think? if you think that's not right any ideas how I can get confirmation if somethings bent? or is the above mentioned steering constantly needing adjustment confirmation enough?

cheers lads :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 05 December 2013, 18:10:57 »

Could have tweaked one of the track rods, which is why I suggested the item I did, as they're effectively peanuts :y

Wheel wobble could also be a bit of bearing play... play does not automatically mean wear/noise though :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #22 on: 05 December 2013, 20:05:18 »

Constant adjustment implies play (or tyre wear or a set up issue). Easily attributable to a knackered bush.

There's nothing you've described that makes me think anything is bent.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 December 2013, 21:39:17 »

Thanks Chris. And again thanks Taxi for all those links :)

Ok, ill simply replace the bushes and look more in depth at the wheels/tyres and see where we're at after.

IF the kerb bash did bend a steering or suspension component.... is it a case of just replacing that part and all will be well or will I have chassis problems i.e. it still being out of sync with new part ? :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 05 December 2013, 22:06:19 »

The moving bits are all designed to be replaced :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #25 on: 06 December 2013, 00:18:59 »

Thanks Chris. And again thanks Taxi for all those links :)

Ok, ill simply replace the bushes and look more in depth at the wheels/tyres and see where we're at after.

IF the kerb bash did bend a steering or suspension component.... is it a case of just replacing that part and all will be well or will I have chassis problems i.e. it still being out of sync with new part ? :)

Wishbones shock and steering linkages will all require another set up if replaced if that's what you mean?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 December 2013, 12:06:40 »

Thanks boys.

Today got to looking for this buckle.... and i had 4 others look with me. We're all in agreement that the O/S/F has a VERY slight out of roundness to the alloy. I'm thinking thats what is causing vibration, although drove car today and really didnt notice it at all.

i shall see what i can do about getting that wheel repaired.

Thats great. if they're all designed to be remved so they can be replaced then worst case scenario is i change everything  ;D ;D ;D but i think after what you've both said that i'm going to experience a very different ride with these new wishbone bushes  :y (always touching wood of course  ::))
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

« Reply #27 on: 06 December 2013, 12:13:03 »

So is this a wobble, like the steering wheel is being pulled left to right in your hands.

Or a vibration, like the steering column/front of the car has an up and down vibration.

...?

chrisgixer

« Reply #28 on: 06 December 2013, 12:14:41 »

Ps, they should be able to make it round again. Or replace might be cheaper?

Fit the spare, see if it goes.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 December 2013, 12:18:49 »

It's two-fold Chris.... the steering wheel seems to vibrate in my hand at 30. Exactly like when a wheel weight is missing.... only nowhere near as harsh as that... it's barely noticeable but noticeable nonetheless.

And then i have the issue of having to move the steering wheel quite a bit to keep it straight. When i hit a pot hole its not ''wrenched'' out of my hand but sometimes, when ive caught the pot hole at a certain way, it'll pull one way... normally left as it feels like it goes with the camber after hitting the pot hole.

i get no ''wandering'' other than the above though :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

« Reply #30 on: 06 December 2013, 12:23:16 »

It's two-fold Chris.... the steering wheel seems to vibrate in my hand at 30. Exactly like when a wheel weight is missing.... only nowhere near as harsh as that... it's barely noticeable but noticeable nonetheless.

And then i have the issue of having to move the steering wheel quite a bit to keep it straight. When i hit a pot hole its not ''wrenched'' out of my hand but sometimes, when ive caught the pot hole at a certain way, it'll pull one way... normally left as it feels like it goes with the camber after hitting the pot hole.

Ok its probably the wheel then. But you have faults that would cause both a wobble(think tank slapper on a bike) and a vibration. Both need attention so its probably a pointless discussion going further anyway.

Let us know how you get in. :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 December 2013, 12:28:54 »

Ok its probably the wheel then. But you have faults that would cause both a wobble(think tank slapper on a bike) and a vibration. Both need attention so its probably a pointless discussion going further anyway.

Let us know how you get in. :y

Thanks Chris.... so i'll post up results after WB bush / donut bush change and wheel rectified....? :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.