Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the purpose of... (rear shocks again, sorry)  (Read 1183 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
What's the purpose of... (rear shocks again, sorry)
« on: 06 February 2014, 17:19:50 »

...jacking up the bottom of the shock, undoing the top mount bolt, lowering the jacked damper down, then removing lower bolt and removing shock...as per the guide...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90587.0

Can I not just jack car up, undo top mount bolt, undo bottom bolt and remove?

Is a good place to support the car with stands under the triangular plate covering the donut bushes? Just don't want the whole rear of the car on my head after removing the shocks :)

Cheers :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

Re: What's the purpose of... (rear shocks again, sorry)
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2014, 17:29:22 »

Yes.

...and no, place jack on triangular plate, then place the stand on the body, on the reinforced area by the exhaust hanger, by the inboard most bolt of the triangular plate.

Then find the jack is in the way if the stand and have to start again by moving the jack over a bit. Depends on the footprint if the jack and stands you have.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2014, 17:33:57 by chrisgixer »

chrisgixer

« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2014, 17:34:44 »

Ps beware brake pipes when lowering into stands.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2014, 17:36:24 »

Thanks Chris. I thought it was a tad odd...but I like to reassure myself.  :y

I suppose I can use the jack to hold the shock while I'm doing up the top bolt of the new shock?

Also when I remove said damper....is the suspension going to drop? Just so I'm prepared :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2014, 17:53:18 »

Yes

And Yes.

Are the shocks supplied compressed?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2014, 17:58:38 »

Yes

And Yes.

Are the shocks supplied compressed?

Still awaiting them mate after they accidentally refunded me the money instead of sending the replacements I'd asked for 3 times  ::)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2014, 17:59:12 »

Ps, when the suspension drops....is it going to be ''get the hell out the way'' drop or just a tad?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2014, 19:18:52 »

It will sag slightly,  but the drive shaft should stop it dropping on your head... :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2014, 23:10:06 »

Ps, when the suspension drops....is it going to be ''get the hell out the way'' drop or just a tad?

You'll be fine, don't worry. ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2014, 14:10:59 »

Cheers boys. Jacked up the rear of the car today and I think I see where I should put the stands..... just inboard of the triangular plate I can just about get an axle stand in  :y

Would have thought that a stand under the triangular plate would be better as the suspension wont drop at all then wouldn't it?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2014, 15:10:30 »

Cheers boys. Jacked up the rear of the car today and I think I see where I should put the stands..... just inboard of the triangular plate I can just about get an axle stand in  :y

Would have thought that a stand under the triangular plate would be better as the suspension wont drop at all then wouldn't it?

I've got my stands on the strong point just inboard of the roadside jacking point Webby. I jacked it up on the box section chassis member inboard of that. As I've got the whole rear axle dropped for spring change, which you won't need, but the stands will do nicely for you like this. :y :y :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2014, 16:51:25 »

.... where will you put the jack?

Plus the stands concentrate the weight in to small a spot, the triangular plate, or sill will bend.

Where as the reinforced area by the inboard bolt/exhaust hanger fits the saddle of the stands much better and is much less likely to slip.

Remember you will be tugging and pulling on various bits n bobs. Not least levering the lower shock mount out. The position of the stand saddle aligned accross the car counters that levering nicely.

Don't forget to chock the from wheels btw. ;)

Why the concern over the suspension extending?
« Last Edit: 07 February 2014, 16:54:31 by chrisgixer »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 February 2014, 17:37:37 »

Plus the stands concentrate the weight in to small a spot, the triangular plate, or sill will bend.

Where as the reinforced area by the inboard bolt/exhaust hanger fits the saddle of the stands much better and is much less likely to slip.

Remember you will be tugging and pulling on various bits n bobs. Not least levering the lower shock mount out. The position of the stand saddle aligned accross the car counters that levering nicely.

I've always jacked up on the front-most ''point'' of the triangular plate and then placed my stand bang in the middle of the plate..... it just fits :)

I'll be honest I don't worry about working on cars.... except this one! lol On my ma's Ford the stands are very comfy and feel substantial..... I'm always worried due to the weight of it  :-[ Having said that I will be trying to use my beasty 3 tonne each pair but may not be able to get them in. I'm going to borrow some from school anyway as I don't trust my 2 tonne pair
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2014, 19:28:41 »

I've always jacked up on the front-most ''point'' of the triangular plate and then placed my stand bang in the middle of the plate..... it just fits :)

I'll be honest I don't worry about working on cars.... except this one! lol On my ma's Ford the stands are very comfy and feel substantial..... I'm always worried due to the weight of it  :-[ Having said that I will be trying to use my beasty 3 tonne each pair but may not be able to get them in. I'm going to borrow some from school anyway as I don't trust my 2 tonne pair

?

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 February 2014, 19:36:55 »

If I have the wheel off I always put it under the sill to give added security.Or put a large log or similar  under the sill  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.