Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Normal Petrol or the more expensive stuff?  (Read 1864 times)

miniator

• Intermediate Member
  • Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Normal Petrol or the more expensive stuff?
« Reply #15 on: 15 April 2010, 11:11:09 »

Miniator I'm sorry but a fuels octane rating purely shows it's resistance to knock or detenation as it's also called. As omegas are set up to accept 95 ron fuel putting fuel in of a higher octane will give no performance gains unless the car is remapped to take advantage of the higher octane rating. Which would the result in poor running if you ever put a lower rated fuel in.

Remapping a normally asperated for a higher octane fuel is a waste of time, you'd spend hundreds for would would only be  a few horses gained. Forced induction engines however Beirut hugely from a remap to run on higher octane as with the increased resistance to knock you can run at high boost levels etc........

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:octane+rating&ei=593GS-CeIJHw0wTD3IjUDA&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title&ved=0CAYQkAE

as omegas are set up to run on 95 ron running a higher rated fuel wont help, yes it will be less likely to knock but t wont increase any performance

as fuel has to reach a stanard to be given its octane rating you really should see no difference between any fuels rated at 95 ron or 97 ron

differences may be present due to poor storage or age of fuel, but that would vary from site to site not brand to brand.

i had a cavalier once and that had a plug that you could swap round in the eninge bay if you were running on 95 or 97 ron fuel made no differnece thought maybe a few more mpg on 97 but that was totally balanced by the extra cost of super unleaded.

whatever you think. if you your saying the its down to fuel storage, its the same petrol station for both. in additional, only a small quantity of super is ordered in at any time to keep the "age" of the fuel as low as possible.

i know and have proved how my car ran on both normal and super. My car ran better on super.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2010, 11:12:10 by miniator »
Omega Wanted: Facelift, 3.0/3.2, Elite/MV6, Charcoal Interior, W.H.Y.

Wayne

« Reply #16 on: 15 April 2010, 11:11:59 »

i always use this to find the cheapest, but normally go to ASDA in Wheatley (Oxfordshire) its always the cheapest  www.petrolprices.com

pembsomega

• pembrokeshire, wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2010, 11:21:14 »

i know and have proved how my car ran on both normal and super. My car ran better on super.

In your mind maybe. but it wont make any difference. can you back up your claim?

Its not what i think, its scinetific fact. Ask a petrol chemical engineer, its what i did i from where i base this opionion

See the car in my avatar? thats jap import and requires vpower with octane booster as its designed and mapped for 100 ron fuel. putting 97 ron super or even worse 95 ron in it results in cough spits serious hesitation and check engine light. if you ran it for any period of time you'd end up with a melted number 4 piston from detonation.

put normal unleaded in your omega what happens? nothing out of the ordinary...........

putting anything else in your seriously are just kidding yourself and costing yourself extra at the pumps.

« Last Edit: 15 April 2010, 11:28:55 by pembsomega »

miniator

• Intermediate Member
  • Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 15 April 2010, 12:54:59 »

In your mind maybe. but it wont make any difference. can you back up your claim?

Its not what i think, its scinetific fact. Ask a petrol chemical engineer, its what i did i from where i base this opionion

See the car in my avatar? thats jap import and requires vpower with octane booster as its designed and mapped for 100 ron fuel. putting 97 ron super or even worse 95 ron in it results in cough spits serious hesitation and check engine light. if you ran it for any period of time you'd end up with a melted number 4 piston from detonation.

put normal unleaded in your omega what happens? nothing out of the ordinary...........

putting anything else in your seriously are just kidding yourself and costing yourself extra at the pumps.

I have the RR printouts and the mpg record spreadsheets to back up my claims.

in my experience, b-series engined civic, v6 omega and even my fiancees 16v polo performed better with super. the 16v is in fact making more in standard form that vw quote. and before you start slabbering about the rollers being incorrect, they are, as proved on the same day by various other cars.

i guess your one of these keyboard warrior types that is never wrong?

and for your information, i am well aware of what running lesser fuels in jap cars does. doesnt help that scoobys have cadburys made pistons but thats another topic altogether

pembsomega

• pembrokeshire, wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2010, 13:07:07 »

in my experience, b-series engined civic, v6 omega and even my fiancees 16v polo performed better with super. the 16v is in fact making more in standard form that vw quote. and before you start slabbering about the rollers being incorrect, they are, as proved on the same day by various other cars.

and for your information, i am well aware of what running lesser fuels in jap cars does. doesnt help that scoobys have cadburys made pistons but thats another topic altogether

how much difference did it make on the omega then out of interest? couple of horses?

and you compared it against normal fuel on the same day same rollers etc??

keyboard warrior? haha im only stating an opintion which i wont change just when someone says 'wrong'

oh and scooby pistons are fine as long as you fuel the engine correctly. you get problems when people chip or remap a car without upgrading the injectors, fuel pump or fuel rails, without that you get underfueling on piston 4 which results in lean running /knock and a melted piston. i know ive had four of them and done extensive work to 3. but never had a piston go. its all about doing it properly.

as one of the most popular imports they are everywhere, everyone loves to slate them. the type r i had i think is one of the most under rated cars ever, just a same that because there are so many about the find their way into the hands of chavs and then we all get tarred with the same brush.......... :-/

miniator

• Intermediate Member
  • Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: 15 April 2010, 13:12:38 »

how much difference did it make on the omega then out of interest? couple of horses?

and you compared it against normal fuel on the same day same rollers etc??

keyboard warrior? haha im only stating an opintion which i wont change just when someone says 'wrong'

oh and scooby pistons are fine as long as you fuel the engine correctly. you get problems when people chip or remap a car without upgrading the injectors, fuel pump or fuel rails, without that you get underfueling on piston 4 which results in lean running /knock and a melted piston. i know ive had four of them and done extensive work to 3. but never had a piston go. its all about doing it properly.

as one of the most popular imports they are everywhere, everyone loves to slate them. the type r i had i think is one of the most under rated cars ever, just a same that because there are so many about the find their way into the hands of chavs and then we all get tarred with the same brush.......... :-/

ha, at least we agree on hondas....terribly sorry old boy, I am a little tired tec material!! hated it!

wasnt compared with normal fuel on the same day as that would have been an unfair comparison. ECU takes time to adapt.
in work at the minute, have the stuff at home so ill dig it, if i can find it, and see what the differences were

pembsomega

• pembrokeshire, wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 April 2010, 13:21:21 »

ha terribly sorry old boy, I am a little tired tec. i was actually talking about my impreza type r... but ive had a civic type r, for 2 weeks, then away it went, what a hatefull car.

have you done anything else then to your omega or were the performance gains from fuel alone? id be very interested if they were because like i said before, everyone ive ever spoken to has said it all a crock of .... be they garages, tuners or the petrol chemical engineer. but if someone proves that wrong ill happily accept.

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 April 2010, 13:53:04 »

Can I add a bit of fuel to the fire?  (sorry)

My 3.0 V6 elite will not run properly on fuel from any morrissons petrol station, but runs superbly on Tesco fuel, and better on BP. now I know nowt about petro-chemical analysis, but have gone to fill up on fuel at a "name" station and never had any probs, but if I fill up on morrissons, guarantee poor idle and running within a day or so.

No science, just observation.
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 April 2010, 14:01:26 »

Yes Wayne, been here before, so again just my thoughts.I've used Shell V Power since it 1st came out under the name Optimax and found it to be very good on smoothness,cleanliness and performance,never really done any economy checks, however might be worth remembering that Miggy's have an adaptive engine management system, and maybe it takes some mileage for it to have any noticeable effect,I know that if I'm forced to fill up with different petrol  I do know the difference, and also I would think the engine condition could have it's effect. I should mention that I am a member of Shell V-Power Club and have a card which I swipe every time I fill up and gain benefit of bonus points for discount on fill up from time to time. I 1st of all joined Shell Drivers Club then was upgraded to Shell V Power Club for double points etc. If anybody wants to find out for themselves its at www.shell.co.uk/driversclub :y :y 

pembsomega

• pembrokeshire, wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 April 2010, 14:23:35 »

Yes Wayne, been here before, so again just my thoughts.I've used Shell V Power since it 1st came out under the name Optimax and found it to be very good on smoothness,cleanliness and performance,never really done any economy checks, however might be worth remembering that Miggy's have an adaptive engine management system, and maybe it takes some mileage for it to have any noticeable effect,I know that if I'm forced to fill up with different petrol  I do know the difference, and also I would think the engine condition could have it's effect. I should mention that I am a member of Shell V-Power Club and have a card which I swipe every time I fill up and gain benefit of bonus points for discount on fill up from time to time. I 1st of all joined Shell Drivers Club then was upgraded to Shell V Power Club for double points etc. If anybody wants to find out for themselves its at www.shell.co.uk/driversclub :y :y 

in the same way of thinking, if you always fill up with v power then your car is used to it, when your forced to put normal unleaded in it would take a while to 'get used to' this??? hense the poor running, but if you contiuned to use normal fuel the ecu would learn the knock properties of the lower octane fuel and it would return to normal??? it works both ways
« Last Edit: 15 April 2010, 14:24:28 by pembsomega »

Grrrrrr

• Intermediate Member
  • Buckinghamshire
    • Jaguar. WTF have I done?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 April 2010, 23:41:51 »

Well I know mine doesnt run well on a variety of supermarket fuels, can feel differences in how it runs on various branded ones too...

live data even shows knock retardation sometimes occuring when its been on Tesco's fuel, never does that with shell.

Could that be the garage location rather than the brand? If their tanks are old or in a dip then they could be full of crud / water and if you fill up when they're running low then that will get passed to your tank.

Had that from a garage from Wendover. They've changed the tanks since but I still refuse to buy fuel from there.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes (Oscar Wilde)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.