Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: tracking  (Read 2723 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
tracking
« on: 06 September 2009, 17:21:23 »

i took my mig to be tracked after work done on the suspension. it was pulling to the n/s and s/wheel was to the left, i took it back & and the only difference the s/ wheel was to the right. i went elsewhere & they showed me how far it was out, rectified it & checked all the suspension f & r ,all was ok & only was charged £14-98 + a free check in two weeks time.  :y

Andyb

• Lincoln
    • View Profile
Re: tracking
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2009, 17:51:43 »

waste to £15 mate
what they have done will not make a blind bit of difference to the way the car handles
you will need a full geometry set up
google wheels in motion and have a look there

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2009, 01:23:12 »

probably one of the most covered topics on here. So worth a search but tracking is only a fraction of the possible adjustments on the omega. Camber being very important, and not covered in tracking set up, as it can wipe out tyres in a couple of k.

As said, full geometic set up after checking wishbone bushes stearing idler and springs for breakages wear and damage will see the best results.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2009, 01:52:16 »

don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but, I once had an Elite facelift Estate that we did loads of suspension work ourselves on . wishbones, camber set by spirit level, etc.

Took it to WIM and all but the tracking was spot on -

While I've no doubt wim are genuinely very good - it cost me over £80 for a tracking only adjustment...  :-X

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2009, 02:47:58 »

yes but lets face it James, you are one in a million. ;)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2009, 02:52:05 »

yes but lets face it James, you are one in a million. ;)

Impossible

Forum stats say We have 6488 registered members.

1 in 6488 aint too shabby though.   ;D ;D
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2009, 06:33:04 »

as far as i know there,s not a outlet near me that does full geometry. but those guys did spend forty minutesly checking all bushes, springs etc & gave the car the all clear. iv,e had the car 6yrs in december & its only had one set of tyres to date, but will probably need a set shortly. daft enough i,m going to a passing out parade 4/ 10/09 thats very near wim, so i,ll see how it goes . meantime i,m off to corfu later today 2 wks.  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2009, 09:55:18 »

don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but, I once had an Elite facelift Estate that we did loads of suspension work ourselves on . wishbones, camber set by spirit level, etc.

While I've no doubt wim are genuinely very good - it cost me over £80 for a tracking only adjustment...  :-X

Expensive way of getting the tracking set, I agree. :(

Micheldever tyres charge per adjustment, so a single adjustment is only 15 quid or so IIRC. Tony undoubtedly has the best Omega knowledge though.  :-/

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2009, 20:04:00 »

Yes. But at least you knew before wrecking a pair of tyres to find out it was wrong.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2009, 20:13:32 »

What are the most common issues with Omega alignment:

1) Front Toe (Tracking)
2) Rear Toe
3) Front Camber

3) is the most common complaint, and one that any tracking or 4 wheel laser alignment won't do anything for.  The usual end result is excessive, premature inner edge wear.  This is also a setting that even most full geometry places make a mess of (the factory specs are unsuitable for a car that has a few miles under its belt).

1) is what most fast fit tyre places offer, and is kind of pointless, particularly on Omega, as it just ensures the front wheels are (almost) parallel.

2) Often called 4 wheel laser alignment. It has a fundamental flaw in that it ensures that the rear wheels follow the fronts, and has no reference to the chassis. You can have all four wheels perfect on 4 wheel alignment, but still completely wrong, and with a non zero thrust angle.  In fact, with the Omega having adjustable rear toe, that is possibly likely!
Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2009, 15:36:07 »

Does anybody who has recentley been to WIM got the final adjusted print out of the camber/caster per wheel.
Reason I ask is I had mine adjusted by Southern based dealer with full laser equipment just before last christmas.(18k miles ago) and for about the last 4 weeks I have been suffering from rear nearside going flat every few days or so.When I checked with tyres off car, both front and rear nearside tyres have a 25mm virtually bald band around entire tyre diameter on the very inside edge and almost certainly the reason rear tyre is loosing air.
Now I know tyres may be on their extent of life but I am worried that if a full set of 4 is refitted they will now go same way.
I have found the print out I was given after the final adjustments and would be curious to see how they    compare with the WIM set up.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2009, 15:58:29 »

Sorry but should have put up final reading as per print out.
FRONT
Caster ....    Left   5.0 degree      Right  5.6 
Camber...            -1.8                         -2.0
Toe.........             0.00                         0.00

REAR
Camber....             -2.4                        -2.3
Toe..........             0.10                        0.10

SAI                        13.9                       13.6
Included Angle        12.1                       11.6
Set Back                 0.0                        -0.1

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 14 September 2009, 16:09:01 »

Does anybody who has recentley been to WIM got the final adjusted print out of the camber/caster per wheel.
Reason I ask is I had mine adjusted by Southern based dealer with full laser equipment just before last christmas.(18k miles ago) and for about the last 4 weeks I have been suffering from rear nearside going flat every few days or so.When I checked with tyres off car, both front and rear nearside tyres have a 25mm virtually bald band around entire tyre diameter on the very inside edge and almost certainly the reason rear tyre is loosing air.
Now I know tyres may be on their extent of life but I am worried that if a full set of 4 is refitted they will now go same way.
I have found the print out I was given after the final adjustments and would be curious to see how they    compare with the WIM set up.

Your quite right imho. Your new tyres will go the same way very quickly unless the set up is corrected. I dont have the spec to hand but i am sure of you give Tony at Wim a call he will quite happily advise.

And i would ask the previous company to sort you out some new tyres seeing as avoiding you exact situation is the whole point of the exercise.

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 September 2009, 18:02:09 »

i seen that idiot on the TV wheeler dealers using a crappy tracking kit on a Merc 190 Cossie that had bad tyre wear issues all he done was set the steering straight!

When i know that the 190s suspension is more adjustable than an omegas and is best suited to an establishment like WIM too!

markfree

« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2009, 20:00:44 »

Just had mine done (4wa) and here are the results in reverse order:-

front

min max    before    after
0.0 +2.63   +2.10    +1.40        Total Toe

min       max   before   after               min     max     before after
+4"40'  +6"40'                     Caster    +4"40'  +6"40'
-2"25'    -0"55' -2"24'  -2"27' Camber  -2"25'  -0"55'  -1"48' -1"48'
                      -1.10   +0.70 partial toe                  +3.20  +0.70
                                          SAI
+1"15'  +2"45'                     Curve      +1"15' +2"45'

before  after
+0"00' -0"04'        Set-back

Rear

min    max    before    after
+1.36 +3.99 +2.00    +2.90  Total Toe

min       max   before   after               min     max     before after
-2"35'   -1"15'  -1"38'  -1"15' Camber  -2"35'  -1"15'  -1"26'  -1"16'  
                    +1.80   +1.50  partial toe                    +0.20  +1.50

before  after
+0"07' +0"03'        Set-back
+0"06' +0"00'        Thrust angle

I think I may have got my deg and min's signs mixed up (wrong way round) but you get the drift.
Haven't a clue wether I've wasted £50 on 4WA :-/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.