Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rover 75 ????  (Read 1894 times)

HolyCount

Rover 75 ????
« on: 02 October 2009, 08:38:47 »

OK -- apart froom the fact it's a (R)over with a BMW engine (oh and an oil burner) ... what are it's shortcomings?

Looking at (among other things) a 75 CDT 2.0 and connossieur spec.  Manual with 110k on the clock and on a 51 plate.

What questions should I ask and what should I look out for ?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Rover 75 ????
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2009, 09:15:44 »

Its one car I have always been dissapointed in, they are actually pretty small and cramped inside.

The main rule with them is dont buy the petrol engine versions!  ;D

Squealey

• Donington, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2009, 09:53:28 »

My dad had a Y reg 75 Tourer 2.0 Diesel. Had it for 2 years and this is a list of what went wrong with it.

1. Rear screen leaked. Found to have been made incorrectly, replaced under warranty.

2. There is no 2. This car was 100% reliable.

My dad still says he regrets getting rid of it. It was smooth, rapid enough for most people, very well made and if you like the quaint wood dashboards (which I do) then its really nice inside, although not as big as it looks.

I think when the Omega goes (no time soon) a conosieur spec one of these will be top of my shopping list, or a Honda Legend with LPG, or a Lexus LS400, with LPG.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2009, 10:09:51 »

I know it's a Ford engine (Ford is the 1st thing you see when you lift the bonnet) but the V8 seems to look good ......at least on paper.  ::)  ::)  ;)

Big Fra

• Omega Knight
  • Motherwell
  • I will ride with miggy pride once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2009, 11:44:38 »

My friend has a 75 cdt classic se with the manual box.

He has had it for about two years now and has recently put it on as a taxi. Apart from running out of fuel once, he has had no issues whatsoever.

One thing i do know however, is on the manual boxes, the dual mass flywheel can fall apart, necessitating the replacement of the clutch as well.

Other than that, I would happily have one myself, a nice cdt tourer auto thanks. :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2009, 12:32:08 »

I know it's a Ford engine (Ford is the 1st thing you see when you lift the bonnet) but the V8 seems to look good ......at least on paper.  ::)  ::)  ;)

Thirsty and underpowered....although at least its rear wheel drive.

Parts are now getting hard to obtain to (prey you never need any trims or bits of plastic!)

Build quality on them was very suspect (never really totaly sorted).

Ow yes, those intelligent wipers were interesting where they turned off when you came to a stop  ;D

Like I say though, deceptively small, probably less internal space than a Mondeo.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2009, 12:34:01 by Mark »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2009, 12:46:40 »

Ow yes, those intelligent wipers were interesting where they turned off when you came to a stop  ;D
Renault do the same I think, or at least go to intermittant when you stop.

Like I say though, deceptively small, probably less internal space than a Mondeo.
For a car the size of a Chrysler 300C estate, the 'boot' is tiny.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2009, 12:51:13 »

A mate of mine had the V8 one and IIRC the transmission tunnel is huge, which makes it feel even more tight inside.

Nice sounding car but was blatantly the result of a raid on the parts bin.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omegadan67

• northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2009, 13:01:17 »

Thirsty and underpowered....although at least its rear wheel drive.

the 75 was rover's last bid to produce a decent car for the middle managment types it failed only the v8 is rear wheel drive detuned ford unit only 260bhp.
oil burners are the dest ones to go for but as already said cramped inside given its size and next to no aftercare/parts garentee 
A little infomation is dangerous in the wrong hands

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2009, 16:57:57 »

the 75 was rover's last bid to produce a decent car for the middle managment types it failed only the v8 is rear wheel drive detuned ford unit only 260bhp. ..... 

I bet the price of a cam belt change on the transverse V6 petrol didn't do them any favours either. c£1000 I believe  :o  :o

HNO3GOH

• Somerset
  • Play time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2009, 18:35:47 »

I was having a good look at the MG 45 which i think is called the ZS up at the garage the other week and all i can say is very poor build :(
Garage clear out in March 2011 and I will have a large amount of omega parts going very cheap.

HolyCount

« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2009, 20:00:50 »

I was having a good look at the MG 45 which i think is called the ZS up at the garage the other week and all i can say is very poor build :(

Yes -- I have seen that one. I get the impression they tried a little harder with the 75, but turned out to be "too little, too late" .

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 October 2009, 20:04:26 »

well my mate had one on a 52plate,he is a taxi driver and decided he was going to look after it, so changed the oil(he used shell helix semi syn) and filter every 7.5k and the airfilter and fuel filter twice a year(if you dont chnge the airfilter the maf sensor burns out owing to poor airflow) then did 376433 miles trouble free with the car running as sweet as the day he bought it, always returned 48mpg and if he could have bought another he would have done!! only thing that went wrong in the entire time he had it was the maf twice which is why he changed the airfilter twice a year after that, and the clutch slave cylinder started playing up(seled unit ) but he found you could actually refill it and it would then be fine fr another 10k before it wanted doing again!! it didnt even need a clutch in all those miles, in fact it was that clean and drove so well the garage that bought it clocked it back to 120k then got caught!!!
as the new owner rang me mate to say what a nice car it was!!
when he told himthe true mileage the bloke got the ecu read and confirmed it had been clocked and trading standards closed the garage down :y
verdict? brilliant motor!! :y

HNO3GOH

• Somerset
  • Play time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 October 2009, 20:04:36 »

KEEP YOUR OMEGA ;D
Garage clear out in March 2011 and I will have a large amount of omega parts going very cheap.

HolyCount

« Reply #14 on: 02 October 2009, 22:20:20 »

KEEP YOUR OMEGA ;D

Are you trying to tell me something  ::) ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.