Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: !0.000 Jobs to go at BT!!  (Read 1298 times)

Lizzie_Zoom

!0.000 Jobs to go at BT!!
« on: 13 November 2008, 18:07:00 »

Yes, 10,000 jobs are apparantly to go before "the end of the financial year" at BT!  :o :o :o :o :o:'(

That is terrible news at any time for people working for BT, but in the lead up to Christmas knowing they could be out of a job by March 2009 it is just terrible. :'( :'( :'(

Also what is it going to do for the average BT customer like myself?  Be prepared to receive a worse service I suppose! :o :o >:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7726174.stm
« Last Edit: 13 November 2008, 18:09:11 by Lizzie_Zoom »

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: !0.000 Jobs to go at BT!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2008, 18:12:38 »

On the 1:30 news thet said 4000 jobs, but they would be from the agencies, contracting and then the close to retirement etc.

Would anyone believe them, I dont think so.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Johnboy0811

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Lovin The Miggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2008, 18:12:56 »

Times are hard at the moment for everyone the sooner this country is sorted out the better.

How long do the goverment think we can carry on like this.

There is supposed to be a driver shortage in this country but apprantley not. I have been phoning round for work and no-one has anything.

Driver shortage my backside :y
Johnboy

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2008, 18:17:07 »

On the 1:30 news thet said 4000 jobs, but they would be from the agencies, contracting and then the close to retirement etc.

Would anyone believe them, I dont think so.

Seems like really good management at work here then, they changed their minds and 10,000 are now going!! ::) ::) ::) >:(

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2008, 18:21:15 »

4,000 BT Directly Employed Staff are going yet again the media machine is full of s**t!!!!!!!!

last year 7,000 staff left BT through retirement & enhanced voluntary leave schemes! so 4,000 isnt much!

This Ian Livingston is a rite tit hes planning or rouning the pension scheme and what ever else hes upto all he is doing is penny pinching!

i would love BT to make me redundant as i would be in for a mega payout  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 13 November 2008, 18:22:05 by tmx »

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2008, 18:22:12 »

398 going at jcb as well.

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2008, 18:27:33 »

Yes, 10,000 jobs are apparantly to go before "the end of the financial year" at BT!  :o :o :o :o :o:'(

That is terrible news at any time for people working for BT, but in the lead up to Christmas knowing they could be out of a job by March 2009 it is just terrible. :'( :'( :'(

Also what is it going to do for the average BT customer like myself?  Be prepared to receive a worse service I suppose! :o :o >:(

Can it get any worse????
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

michael.d.s.

• glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2008, 18:47:06 »

bt employ a lot of apprentices . i bet they will be kept on as cheap labour ... it's good to talk.  >:(

Moos3h

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2008, 18:50:06 »

They are hoping to make no compulsory redunancies, and 4000 have already gone so it's media hype to say /another/ 10k.

Sadly they are a big company that will want to cut costs where it can - BT have other things to worry about than the global economy though, the Government insisting that they spend a fortune upgrading networks only for other companies to make money from them is just one issue.

And no, I don't work for BT.  What I AM is fed up of the media stirring it up.  THEY talked us into a recession and the meddling barstewards are poised to do worse work elsewhere.  Scum.

Cheers,
James

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2008, 19:12:43 »

I think companies who wants to drop the costs abuse the crunch..

Nothing more >:(

Moos3h

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2008, 19:59:56 »

Yep, you are absolutely right.

There is nothing that a company (particularly larger ones) like more than having an excuse where their accounts can 'save them money' by axeing a few jobs.

Give it 6 months, the company begins to fair badly because these jobs were more vital than an accountant (who didn't fully understand the matter) realised, and the company is forced into re-hiring or further restructuring to fix the issue.

Cheers,
James

STMO123

« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2008, 20:02:36 »

BT say this is nothing to do with the credit crunch, they had it planned anyway to stay competitive. But, they would say that, wouldn't they...............

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2008, 20:07:23 »

Yep, you are absolutely right.

There is nothing that a company (particularly larger ones) like more than having an excuse where their accounts can 'save them money' by axeing a few jobs.

Give it 6 months, the company begins to fair badly because these jobs were more vital than an accountant (who didn't fully understand the matter) realised, and the company is forced into re-hiring or further restructuring to fix the issue.

Cheers,
James

this was a "chance" for them and they dont miss the target..

and nobody asks them "why" in that chaos..

old hat >:(

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2008, 20:17:40 »

398 going at jcb as well.

that will leave a big hole to fill.. :-X

Dusty

• Omega Knight
  • Shropshire
  • Erotic Romance Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 November 2008, 20:26:47 »

Not possible Lizzie ,if my and Mr Dusty's experience of BT are anything to go by. :-/ :-*

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 November 2008, 20:57:49 »

Like I said months back, this is only the thin end of the wedge. Brace yourself for far worse. It is all a pack of cards just waiting..........

varche
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 November 2008, 22:40:35 »

media blown it out of proportion.  For the last few months, most people who wanted to leave would have been offered redundancy.  Nobody in the office today seemed worried (although I no longer work for BT, I am still based in a BT building).
Grumpy old man

Nickbat

« Reply #17 on: 13 November 2008, 23:24:56 »

media blown it out of proportion.  For the last few months, most people who wanted to leave would have been offered redundancy.  Nobody in the office today seemed worried (although I no longer work for BT, I am still based in a BT building).

TB's absolutely right. The reason why this is as "bad" as it is, and perhaps why it will be as "terrible" as suggested is purely down to the media...and dopes like Mervyn King.

The more you drone on about the recession and the possible depression, so your words become a self-fulfilling prophecy as more people start worrying about the future and rein in their spending. Thus businesses make less money, people get laid off, and so less people have wages, more headlines hit the papers, and so spending then contracts further, and so on.

From an economic science point of view, the way out of the recession is easy. Just increase the velocity of money in the system (i.e. get people/companies to spend again). Unfortunately, despite the science, humans are like sheep and will follow each other round in circles. The BBC, and other media, meanwhile will continue to spout out the doom stories.

This whole "crisis" is emotional. Until people in the government and media start talking things up again, it can only get worse.  :(      

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 November 2008, 06:37:44 »

Customer service won't affect me as my services from BT cease at 12.01am on 2nd December.  :y

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 November 2008, 11:44:58 »

Customer service won't affect me as my services from BT cease at 12.01am on 2nd December.  :y

unless you have moved to a cable supplier then you will still be using BT! BT's Exchange to give you dialtone & BT's Copper cable to bring the service to your house! & perhaps even BT's DSLAM unless its LLU.

Joblosses at BT was aload of nonsense! media are full of rubbish and i think they should be forced to appologise for blowing this out of proportion! 10,000 jobs to go at BT they said on R4! well its not as i said its 4,000 directly employed staff! and to put this into perspective 7,000 people left BT last year under Retirement & Voluntary Redundancy!
« Last Edit: 14 November 2008, 11:45:27 by tmx »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #20 on: 14 November 2008, 12:13:47 »

TB's absolutely right. The reason why this is as "bad" as it is, and perhaps why it will be as "terrible" as suggested is purely down to the media...and dopes like Mervyn King.

The more you drone on about the recession and the possible depression, so your words become a self-fulfilling prophecy as more people start worrying about the future and rein in their spending. Thus businesses make less money, people get laid off, and so less people have wages, more headlines hit the papers, and so spending then contracts further, and so on.

From an economic science point of view, the way out of the recession is easy. Just increase the velocity of money in the system (i.e. get people/companies to spend again). Unfortunately, despite the science, humans are like sheep and will follow each other round in circles. The BBC, and other media, meanwhile will continue to spout out the doom stories.

This whole "crisis" is emotional. Until people in the government and media start talking things up again, it can only get worse.  :(      

yep..the money cycle must increase speed..but also for short period of time take the risk of inflation and print money to start the river flowing..
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.