Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a sad story  (Read 249 times)

cem_devecioglu

a sad story
« on: 09 July 2014, 20:09:00 »

for some time I developed an interest on those air crash investigations.. watched many of them..
but this one was interesting as the cause of human lifes lost was NTSB behaviour.. :(
although there were reports of engineers on cargo door lock failure on boeing 747, NTSB
gave 18 months of time to flight companies to correct the problem which cost lifes..

the parents from New Zealand who lost a child spend considerable time , effort and money
to find out the cause.. Finally they found evidence and prooved but NTSB didnt change their
crash report until another 747 cargo door opened on a later date..  this time ntsb was forced
to correct their report >:(

here is the related video to the tragic event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBFt4d5ZcUU

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: a sad story
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2014, 21:48:44 »

Yes, indeed. I have a fascination with aircraft accident reports, especially gliding related, as a glider pilot. Macabre? Perhaps, but by understanding what others have done wrong, I hope that I will recognise when I start to take the same path, and do something about ti before it's too late.

The 747 cargo door was a classic example of everything being done to prevent more loss of life. Well, everything except damaging the profits of large US corporations, of course. Couldn't have that, could we? ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

Re: a sad story
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2014, 22:54:24 »

Having inadvertently done it, it is possible to close the handle before an aircraft door is shut... or rather close the door with the handle latched... :-X

If the door is forced, even under its own weight rather than manually, then the latching mechanism simply bends, jamming the door...

Quite an effective way of really annoying the engineers on a blowy January night ::)

Credit to the designers though that the 747 is built strong enough to survive such an event, in no small part due to the control cables running allong the cabin roof rather than below the floor...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.