Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: NCDx coding  (Read 4823 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: NCDx coding
« Reply #15 on: 15 November 2008, 12:35:22 »

As to reliability of flash - I have some old 64M CF cards, must be approaching 10yrs old, the data on them still seems good (only read occasionally, no writes for years).  But against that, I have some more modern stuff that seems to corrupt occasionally - eg, utilities on usb stick no longer readable, and some pictures in camera not displaying on PC due to corruption (oddly, camera can always read them)
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 November 2008, 16:32:06 »

As to reliability of flash - I have some old 64M CF cards, must be approaching 10yrs old, the data on them still seems good (only read occasionally, no writes for years).  But against that, I have some more modern stuff that seems to corrupt occasionally - eg, utilities on usb stick no longer readable, and some pictures in camera not displaying on PC due to corruption (oddly, camera can always read them)

Which is as you would expect.....as the original NOR flash os very reliable (but limited in its capacity) where as the later NAND flash is much more prone to issues but can be manufactured in much larger capacities.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2008, 16:37:04 »

Which is as you would expect.....as the original NOR flash os very reliable (but limited in its capacity) where as the later NAND flash is much more prone to issues but can be manufactured in much larger capacities.
Ah, would make sense.  I thought all CF would be NAND - I guess not.
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 November 2008, 16:44:14 »

Nope.....the early stuff is NOR and topped out at about 128MB (although some mega pricey 512 studd was about).

Of course, the linear stuff is all NOR!

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #19 on: 15 November 2008, 16:50:44 »

Nope.....the early stuff is NOR and topped out at about 128MB (although some mega pricey 512 studd was about).

Something else to take into account with the modern stuff failing though, has surely got to be the cheapness and build quality. We all know that things are not made as robustly as they used to be, but it is the components themselves that are failing, or simply the way they are lashed together?

I had a 10GB USB stick a while ago that would also not reliably hold data on it. Took the thing apart and found that it had been assembled with virtually no solder whatsoever. Gave it a good blitz with the iron, and now it seems fine.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 November 2008, 17:04:17 »

Shame the Tech2 linear cards are so unreliable ::)
Grumpy old man

reinoso

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 March 2009, 01:52:05 »

40 pin flash device....I suspect it actually the single device on its own rather than the twin 16bit setup.

Not to hard to remove, read and re-solder.....I have done FAR worse!

has anyone been able to remove flash memory, read and store the file? I think if you read the contents of two memories (am29lv16) of an unpaired/unmarried NCDR, and writing files to "married" flash, we will get our radio unpaired .... :-/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 March 2009, 08:26:36 »

40 pin flash device....I suspect it actually the single device on its own rather than the twin 16bit setup.

has anyone been able to remove flash memory, read and store the file? I think if you read the contents of two memories (am29lv16) of an unpaired/unmarried NCDR, and writing files to "married" flash, we will get our radio unpaired .... :-/

We found an easier way to get the code in the end....from the Cd changer  :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #23 on: 11 March 2009, 08:29:50 »

Yes. Cloning a unit as you describe is actually fairly easy by rewriting the two flash chips, but not without its problems though, and only works with an identical model of head unit. What we have not yet managed to achieve is to identify all of the the locations of the data within the flash memory that is required to be reset in order to unpair the units.

The problem with the cloning of memory dumps in this way is that you are usually using an earlier software version with the dump you are inserting and end up putting back into the stereo all of the bugs and faults that have been sorted out by the later software updates. If you can identify the correct data to be changed, then this can be done without affecting the existing software of the unit.
www.dndservices.co.uk

reinoso

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 March 2009, 23:41:18 »

We found an easier way to get the code in the end....from the Cd changer  

But i haven't CAN cd changer!! I have ONLY the NCDR1100 married to a car somewhere ... (and the CID is from a french car ... ). I bought them separately. CID is unpaired but not NCDR ... when I connect them through CAN BUS, "DISPLAY SAFE" (not blinking) appears on CID. I'm electronic engineer student and I'm very used to solder/desolder fine pitch SMD IC.

It is impossible to get the VIN number or anything from the NCDR donor car.

I guess i can read/write the contents on flash memories ... is there is there any chance for my radio to work  :-? ? thanks.

reinoso

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 April 2009, 02:54:11 »

Yes. Cloning a unit as you describe is actually fairly easy by rewriting the two flash chips, but not without its problems though, and only works with an identical model of head unit. What we have not yet managed to achieve is to identify all of the the locations of the data within the flash memory that is required to be reset in order to unpair the units.

The problem with the cloning of memory dumps in this way is that you are usually using an earlier software version with the dump you are inserting and end up putting back into the stereo all of the bugs and faults that have been sorted out by the later software updates. If you can identify the correct data to be changed, then this can be done without affecting the existing software of the unit.

It doesnt matter if I flash my radio with an older file, I only want it works!! is a tall order a memory dump of the two AM29LV ?

Thanks !

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #26 on: 03 April 2009, 08:49:52 »

It doesnt matter if I flash my radio with an older file, I only want it works!! is a tall order a memory dump of the two AM29LV ?

Thanks !

Yes, it does matter considerably, if the the data stored in the flash chips does not match the operating system of the main processor, the data will be rejected. Rewrite the code data, by all means, but if you are good enough to alter the operating system as well, then I guess that you would not be asking these questions on the forum.

Simply Cloning a flash chip with the dump from another unit will not work on this model. You need to read the data correctly.

:-X
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 April 2009, 08:52:27 »

Ah, sorry, ignore my PM - I saw the PM, and didn't tie it to this thread  :-[

As be say in the UK, you're in a smelly, dirty, narrow inlet, looking for an oar.

If the display is paired to another device with an unknown code, that ain't much good either - though we may be able to depair that.
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #28 on: 03 April 2009, 08:52:27 »

Incidentally, looking at the car you drive, the data held on the Vectra stereo differs also from the Omega one - (even if same model)

If you are driving a Vectra, you may be asking for help amongst the wrong circle of people, as info received is more geared towards Omegas here.

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 April 2009, 08:55:04 »

Incidentally, looking at the car you drive, the data held on the Vectra stereo differs also from the Omega one - (even if same model)

If you are driving a Vectra, you may be asking for help amongst the wrong circle of people, as info received is more geared towards Omegas here.

;)
Its a simple config change via Tech2, that has no real bearing on the unit.  Whether or not it alters any software, rather than just a few parameters, I wouldn't like to say though - never compared them (based on the fact I can't read the chip  :-[)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.