Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front wheel bearings  (Read 1298 times)

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
Front wheel bearings
« on: 07 December 2014, 15:00:12 »

Just changed both front wheel bearings on my Elite and brother's MV6. Piece of pish. Dust caps off....10 secs, bearing nut off....easy. I mustn't know my own strength!!! Brother had to buy Halfords torque wrench as local tool hire place didn't have any that went to 320nm, even though they said they did when I rang and specifically asked. I rang round a few places, and when I asked for a torque wrench I could hear a goon down the end of the phone saying "that long metal bar thing with a socket on the end".

Anyway....breaker bar.....busted, record for world's best front wheel bearing changerererer........busted!

Oh yeah, point to note......I used ATP bearings on mine as I couldn't get AGP site to work. Brother used AGP (fag). With the ATP bearings the disc retaining screw (new and clean) wouldn't screw right in so I left it off (must remember for next time wheel off!), but did on the fag.

There was at least a few mm of sideways play in the bearings, which from the movement of the wheel you wouldn't have thought.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: Front wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2014, 15:36:44 »

Used ATP bearing last week  :y
Had a bit of fun getting mine off though because it had totally collapsed  >:(
Came off in 3 pieces after some serious abuse with various heavy tools  :D

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2014, 15:58:46 »

3 pieces? Sounds nasty!!! Did you change it as soon as you knew it was paggered? What was it like driving with it that bad? Mines been making a noise for longer than I would like to admit haha! Done now though, although after changing the bearing on my dad's transit after that collapsed I thought I had better do the beast!
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2014, 16:41:33 »

3 pieces? Sounds nasty!!! Did you change it as soon as you knew it was paggered? What was it like driving with it that bad? Mines been making a noise for longer than I would like to admit haha! Done now though, although after changing the bearing on my dad's transit after that collapsed I thought I had better do the beast!

It very nearly did  :-[
Basically, it went from a bit of a drift towards the curb to a heavy vibration under braking. This caused me to replace the front discs last month but little change.
Next came the darting around under any braking and even a deaf git like me could here the rumbling so I crawled underneath for a look. All rubber bits seamed okay so I took it to the local Hi Q place for a geo check on the understanding that I could have a good tug at things first.
Well, I got hold of the nearside front wheel and it wobbled about like a jelly  :o :'(
I drove it home as slow as I reasonably could and parked it up.

The missus was at work on the Sunday morning at 6 o'clock and she had the keys / taxi didn't turn up so I drove her to work very slowly which is about a 7 mile round trip.
I was half way home when the steering went totally weird as the bearing case started to collapse.
As it happened, I only had 1 roundabout, 4 speed bumps and a left hand turn to go so I crept home at about
10 mph. Good job there was nobody on the road at that time.
As I pulled up outside my house and braked, the nearside wheel was pointing about 30 degrees off towards the curb  :'( :'(
Lets just say, I now drive with the music down a little  ;)
Lesson learnt I think  :-[

omega3000

« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2014, 19:33:52 »

Lesson learnt I think   

Ive learnt to live with the drone from the front tyres  ::) Not too bad at speed but they hum at low speed so turn the radio up  :-[ Hope thats not bearings  ::)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2014, 19:42:56 »

Lesson learnt I think   

Ive learnt to live with the drone from the front tyres  ::) Not too bad at speed but they hum at low speed so turn the radio up  :-[ Hope thats not bearings  ::)

Seriously mate, jack it up a little and check it  ;)
I was a bloody lucky bloke

omega3000

« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2014, 19:45:18 »

Lesson learnt I think   

Seriously mate, jack it up a little and check it  ;)
I was a bloody lucky bloke

No handling issues mate , just done 150 miles no issues but i will check .. the list gets longer  ::) :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.