Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Market meat....  (Read 4674 times)

peter the butcher

• knaresborough, north yorkshire
  • omega driver as a hobby and now retired :-(
    • 2.6CDX
    • View Profile
Re: Market meat....
« Reply #30 on: 01 June 2013, 20:30:34 »

Hi,
I am a butcher, was self employed, but got out (another story lol ). I work for a game dealer now, and I do farmers markets up here in North Yorkshire. I make about 20 different sausages, all made by hand, and include wild boar and pork, pheasant, wild duck and venison  :)
A butchers gross profit margin, as far as "market van" are concerned, is made from volume sales, and a lot lower % profit margin than a high st shop. The meat is all genuine stuff, bought from the abbatoir/meat markets, and is sold very fresh, hence it may not be as tender as a "familybutchers".
I am a strong believer in "hanging" a carcase for quite a few days, so as it starts to decompose, the acids in the carcase break down the meat tissues, making it a lot more tender, but all that comes at a price. As said carcase is hanging in a coldroom/fridge, it is loosing weight by the day, and therefore money is quite literally oozing away lol. A lot of the major supermarkets know this, and as a result, say, Asda, hang there meat (or rather their wholesale butchers do) for a minimum of 21 days.
Support your local family butcher, he knows his stuff, and try and support your local farmers markets too, as the meat they retail comes from the farm direct, slaughtered in a small abbatoir, hung well/matured and has been butchered with care before been sold to you, the customer

Peter
Ox Close Traditional Fine Foods
Wetherby

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 June 2013, 22:02:23 »

I had a bit of rump steak from Morrison's this evening and it was a tough as old boots!  >:( 

Still it gave my jaw muscles a good workout, but any more of those and I'll be looking like David Coulthard!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 June 2013, 22:43:37 »

Know where you are coming from Tigger....I had a piece of Rump Steak last weekend and it was like leather...totally gross. >:(

I have to try to get wifey onto butchers/farmers market stuff rather than the convenience of the Supermarket. Very hard as she worked 23 years at Waitrose. :(
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 June 2013, 23:05:59 »

We have a very good Farm Shop near here and the steaks in there are twice the price of the supermarkets, but Boy O Boy are they worth it!!!  :) So tender that the knife goes through like it's butter and full of flavour!! Yum!!  :y

omega3000

« Reply #34 on: 01 June 2013, 23:18:51 »

Know where you are coming from Tigger....I had a piece of Rump Steak last weekend and it was like leather...totally gross. >:(

I have to try to get wifey onto butchers/farmers market stuff rather than the convenience of the Supermarket. Very hard as she worked 23 years at Waitrose. :(

;D

I just cant believe how tasty all the local butchers meat is by comparison to he supermarket crap , been missing out for years but now fully converted to the twice monthly visit and trying out different things  :)
P.s no tripe or pigs brains though  ::)

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 June 2013, 23:22:11 »

I had a bit of rump steak from Morrison's this evening and it was a tough as old boots!  >:( 

Still it gave my jaw muscles a good workout, but any more of those and I'll be looking like David Coulthard!  ;D

your always doing that from what ive heard ::) ::) bloody carrot cruncher ;)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 June 2013, 23:29:53 »

;D

I just cant believe how tasty all the local butchers meat is by comparison to he supermarket crap , been missing out for years but now fully converted to the twice monthly visit and trying out different things  :)
P.s no tripe or pigs brains though  ::)

I must admit we stopped buying Tesco Meat after the horse thing, instead using a local abattoir that has a ‘retail’ outlet, only a couple of miles away anyway....... ::) ::)

That said, I was in our new local Sainsbury’s on Friday, next door to the above and bought a couple of rump steaks, well swmbo and Miss Vamps have gone to the caravan (static) so I thought I would treat myself, possibly the best steak I have ever had...... :y :y :y

With well cooked onions, tomatoes and chips it melted in the mouth, left at room temperature, before cooking, then rubbed with oil and covered in black pepper and cooked on a high heat for around 4 minutes aside....lovely :)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 June 2013, 23:39:44 »

Awe struth Mike...I was just going up the apple and pears....now I feel like I'm starving....... :(

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 June 2013, 23:44:01 »

That said, I was in our new local Sainsbury’s on Friday, next door to the above and bought a couple of rump steaks, well swmbo and Miss Vamps have gone to the caravan (static) so I thought I would treat myself, possibly the best steak I have ever had...... :y :y :y

With well cooked onions, tomatoes and chips it melted in the mouth, left at room temperature, before cooking, then rubbed with oil and covered in black pepper and cooked on a high heat for around 4 minutes aside....lovely :)

Sooooooo....... Vamps!!  Who had the other one??  ???  ::)  ;)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 June 2013, 23:46:00 »

It's in the freezer....... :P :P :D :D :D

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 June 2013, 23:46:25 »

I bet he did....flippin' gannet ;D ;D ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 June 2013, 23:48:12 »

It's in the freezer....... :P :P :D :D :D

Ha ha good answer! Just checking!  ::)  ;D 

cleggy

« Reply #42 on: 02 June 2013, 08:15:14 »

Did she have her own Helipad for the company vehicle ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.