Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How much is a windscreen  (Read 5275 times)

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
Re: How much is a windscreen
« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2012, 16:03:11 »

yes i may be then may be not as i after 19 years i am  leaving the company car scheme without much no claims (1 year) but that does'nt help too much with many insurance companies including adrian flux as they still see it as a company car
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

big mel

• Oldham Lancs
  • ex trucker' GB. USA. CONTINENT& GB
    • Omega 2ltr gls 2000frpp
    • View Profile
    • big melL
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2012, 16:48:28 »

If you claim for a new windscreen on my insurance it is £70. does this affect your ncb?
THE TRUCKERS MOTTO. keep the shiny side up & the greasy side down. the bugs off your glass &  the bears off your ass.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2012, 16:55:35 »

If you claim for a new windscreen on my insurance it is £70. does this affect your ncb?

Nope, not normally

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2012, 17:49:25 »

£75 excess over here :y on a taxi policy :y Just done by AA Windscreens, would recommend to any one :y

If no cover I'd still recommend Adissons in Guildford for service that they've given me in the past, although £250 ish for a fitted screen, Aaronjb will, hopefully, be able to confirm good experience with them :y

st £150 >:([/highlight]

omega3000

« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2012, 19:29:06 »

£60 excess on ins here , had one done earlier in the year  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2012, 19:36:33 »

Windscreen excess is normally far less than your insurance excess, normally around £75.

Windscreen cover is normally only on Full Comp policies, not TPFT ones.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 02 August 2012, 19:49:07 »

Don't assume that you can use any repairerand still be able to claim through your insurance :-\

If I go through Autoglass then my insurers only pay up to £100, so after my excess I'd only save £25 over buying it myself  >:(

Find out who your insurers recommend and use them :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 August 2012, 20:44:34 »

I paid £134 fitted earlier in the year with a local firm.  :)  Autoglass initially quoted £740 and eventually dropped to £340!!  ::)  If they charge the insurance companies similar rates, then no wonder premiums are mortgage money!!  >:(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #23 on: 02 August 2012, 20:49:45 »

Direct Line - 2 years ago paid £70 excess for new screen for Elite - used Autoglass as per policy. 
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

albitz

« Reply #24 on: 02 August 2012, 20:55:21 »

had a late spec (rain sensor type) screen fitted to my car last year. Screen was free,fitter cost £30. :)

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 August 2012, 21:09:39 »

you don't buy them yourself, go via your insurance. Be just be the excess on your policy, normally anything from £30 to £100
do they always go on the cornner, is there 2 layers to the glass as top of the glass has no crack looks like its the black part? on full cover but says to shop around and they will do the rest but trying to find a ruff price they gave me a list auto glass etc they just want a quote for the price.

All modern cars have laminated windscreens, which is basically 2 thin sheets of glass, with a sheet of flexible material in the middle.  This stops the glass shattering into a million bits like the old toughened screens used to.

Most cracks in screens happen as a result of an impact from a stone or similar.  However Omegas do suffer from stress cracks in the bottoms corners of the screens.  This can be because of 2 reasons...

Usually it's delamination, caused by a combination of moisture ingress between the layers of the screen, and age causing the screen to become brittle.  Eventually it will cause the glass to crack, and is often joined by a milky appearance to the glass in the same area.

The other cause can be rust developing in the area where the screen is bonded to the car.  As the rust takes hold, it expands, pushing against the screen until it cracks under the pressure.

If you find the latter, it's imperative that you treat the rust before the new screen is fitted.  Otherwise the new screen will simply crack again, and you will almost certainly get water ingress into the car.

Hope this helps.  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 August 2012, 21:11:10 »

had a late spec (rain sensor type) screen fitted to my car last year. Screen was free,fitter cost £30. :)

You're a lucky bugger ain't ya!  How do you always seem to find these great deals?  ;D ;)
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

albitz

« Reply #27 on: 02 August 2012, 21:17:33 »

Wouldnt you like to know, Mr "now living in Naarfik and loving it my aunt who also happens to be my nephew".:P ;D
« Last Edit: 02 August 2012, 21:19:48 by Albitz »

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2012, 21:23:36 »

Wouldnt you like to know, Mr "now living in Naarfik and loving it my aunt who also happens to be my nephew".:P ;D

Listen 'ere Essex boy!  At least my aunt doesn't use her knickers to keep her ankles warm!  :P ;D

albitz

« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2012, 21:30:29 »

Not a drop of Essex blood in my veins sonny boy. :P ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.