Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Can be done....  (Read 18625 times)

05omegav6

Re: Can be done....
« Reply #135 on: 24 January 2013, 12:48:30 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPqB8gWrA7A  :D

That's a crash damaged gts by the looks. (on a mobile)

Chevy Lumina SS ::) much the same car as 2woodys  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #136 on: 24 January 2013, 12:55:56 »

There are also aftermarket modules available for efi and abc/tc if you want to be Gay about it cem. ;)

...although abs and tc shouldn't be too hard for someone who knows whet they're doing. :-\

Efi, v8 ecu usually goes with the engine. But shouldn't be too hard with a mega squirt if it came to it, going by past conversations over a curry. :)
Pretty easy to sort with the two wiring diagrams and both cars/looms in front of you I would have thought :-\

Basically you remove the plug from the Omega body to the engine ECU, and transfer the pins to the correct locations on the plug from the donor loom. This should then plug straight onto the V8 ecu and hopefully all work as expected :y

Not that anything is ever that simple :-\ is it ::)

feeutfo

« Reply #137 on: 24 January 2013, 14:46:03 »

ok..assume that you solved all mechanical problems of ftting a v8 and a suitable gearbox(model still a question in my mind) how will you solve odo,dials,mid etc etc..  :-\ 
The mechanical problems are worthy of more consideration than that though.
With a steering box removed, for example, I am assuming the engine will fit and the gear box lever will line up, although I've seen talk that it sits a bit too far forward. Possibly fowling 1st 3rd and 5th. Won't find out what dictates that until we offer it up.
I am assuming also, that a Nissan Almeria(?) steering rack can be made to fit, as that's what rats used.
But then there's the question of the rearward bush on omega wishbones. It's unreliable. Degrades quickly , and I suspect doesn't give a particularly accurat feel to the steering even when new.

So before sticking the lump in, it might be wise to discuss subframe options for a different design rear bush if one exists?

Are Carlton or senator options worth a look? I presume Holden floor pan options are too wide and too different a design?

05omegav6

« Reply #138 on: 24 January 2013, 17:24:44 »

IF a Commodore/Monaro subframe could be persuaded to fit, then that should see most of the steering and suspension issues resolved, as you could use the entire front suspension, all of which can be upgraded quite easily :y (Pedders and others do bushing kits that replace all the rubber joints from the front end).

What this arrangement would do to the geometry is anyones guess though :-\

The other problem, is that the steering column exits the bulkhead at a very specific point. Is this compatible with a steering rack? And by doing away with the steering box, would the column foul the exhaust anyway.

I suppose it would be possible to replace the chassis rails, bulkhead and front end of the transmission tunnel with
 Holden ones, allowing the entire Holden front end to be used from the steering column forward.

A substantially rear ended Monaro might be the onestopshop for this :-\

The simplest solution is to use as much of the Omega as possible... I need to get those arms fitted and put some miles on them...
« Last Edit: 24 January 2013, 17:30:37 by ex taxi al »

05omegav6

« Reply #139 on: 24 January 2013, 17:38:40 »

Senny/Carlton subframes are configured for inline engines, so might not be much use.

Having said that, would an earlier subframe from any of the following chassis be suitable:

VL, VN or VP.

And how different, if at all are they from the Senator B subframe? :-\

feeutfo

« Reply #140 on: 24 January 2013, 23:22:04 »

05omegav6

« Reply #141 on: 25 January 2013, 05:44:41 »

Do keep up at the back ;D that's the car being built in the first post ::)

omega3000

« Reply #142 on: 25 January 2013, 10:00:38 »

Corvette , now were talking  :P :P

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 26 January 2013, 22:50:27 »

ok..assume that you solved all mechanical problems of ftting a v8 and a suitable gearbox(model still a question in my mind) how will you solve odo,dials,mid etc etc..  :-\ 
With a steering box removed, for example, I am assuming the engine will fit and the gear box lever will line up, although I've seen talk that it sits a bit too far forward. Possibly fowling 1st 3rd and 5th. Won't find out what dictates that until we offer it up.
I am assuming also, that a Nissan Almeria(?) steering rack can be made to fit, as that's what rats used.
But then there's the question of the rearward bush on omega wishbones. It's unreliable. Degrades quickly , and I suspect doesn't give a particularly accurat feel to the steering even when new.

So before sticking the lump in, it might be wise to discuss subframe options for a different design rear bush if one exists?
Are Carlton or senator options worth a look? I presume Holden floor pan options are too wide and too different a design?
bloke who done converion in poland use monaro rear subframe

feeutfo

« Reply #144 on: 26 January 2013, 23:53:03 »

Could it be that simple?

Marry a Monaro engine and subframes with running gear, to an Omega body?

By that I mean, take a monaro preferably crash damaged, effectively just lift the body off leaving the wheels, subframes, engine, gear box and drive train on the floor, and place an omega body on top?
« Last Edit: 26 January 2013, 23:57:28 by chrisgixer »

feeutfo

« Reply #145 on: 27 January 2013, 00:03:30 »

bloke who done converion in poland use monaro rear subframe 

That's great info Serek. Thankyou.

Any more photos or links? I was actually talking about the front subframe, being honest, to try and change that front wishbone rear bush on the omega for something more reliable.
Do you think the monaro front subframe would fit too? :)

05omegav6

« Reply #146 on: 27 January 2013, 01:48:53 »

Bolt off, bolt on :y

Will post a couple of links int morning :y

05omegav6

« Reply #147 on: 27 January 2013, 10:39:52 »

Think this is what you're looking for...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-VB-VC-VH-VK-COMMODORE-6CYL-8CYL-K-FRAME-CROSSMEMBER-NOS-GENUINE-/170971973076?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ceb945d4&_uhb=1#shId

Only issue is whether or not the column lines up with the input shaft on the rack :-\

Ps, I have asked about postage ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #148 on: 27 January 2013, 11:09:30 »

This is the later one, so 2004-2006/7...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200564177240&fromMakeTrack=true

Previous post is for an earlier version, mid eighties :-\ Senator/Carlton era :-\
« Last Edit: 27 January 2013, 11:12:18 by ex taxi al »

05omegav6

« Reply #149 on: 27 January 2013, 11:32:36 »

Think this is what you're looking for...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-VB-VC-VH-VK-COMMODORE-6CYL-8CYL-K-FRAME-CROSSMEMBER-NOS-GENUINE-/170971973076?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ceb945d4&_uhb=1#shId

Only issue is whether or not the column lines up with the input shaft on the rack :-\

Ps, I have asked about postage ::)

They don't  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.