Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Welding Blog  (Read 23080 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Welding Blog
« Reply #120 on: 28 November 2014, 11:41:18 »

.. and an auto-dimming mask would be a great addition to your arsenal, IMHO. Just got a cheap one but it makes all the difference IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 28 November 2014, 12:01:08 »

.. and an auto-dimming mask would be a great addition to your arsenal, IMHO. Just got a cheap one but it makes all the difference IMHO.

Completely agree Kev... I don't know if you read my post about when I ordered it but I was looking for an auto mask as you guys suggested. Accidentally brought a non-auto mask. Cos I got the words ''adjusting'' and ''Auto-dimming'' confused. . . they both start with 'A' at least  ::)

Its so difficult to put the visor down and its all black.... then weld where you want.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 28 November 2014, 12:14:25 »

Im reading this 'blog' every day and really enjoying the trials and tribulations your going through, as I'm in the same boat as you are...

I had to buy a MIG to weld my Omega to get it through its last MoT as the stick/arc welder I have was just too harsh for the metal I was attempting to patch up...

The MIG made it sooo much easier to sort out it's MoT... Gonna need it again for the next, but will have a lot more experience this time...

I won't say I can weld, I wouldn't call myself a 'welder' BUT I can join 2 pieces of metal together using the welding process LOL

I actually enjoy welding, I will admit I don't mind if I need to weld something, I usually make an excuse to do some sort of welding..

I have an auto dimming mask, which is adjustable for how dark it gets, which I find very handy... Compared to when I first did any sort of welding when I was a kid (about 18) and welded without a mask, I had a mask but it got in the way... Anyhoo the day after I couldn't see, had horrible sunburn and drove myself to the hospital (stupid I know) they gave me some drops and pain killers which helped but I had to see an optician as ever since Iv been sensitive to bright lights because I burnt my retina... Not fun... I look back now and laugh but Iv never once welded without a mask...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

omega3000

« Reply #123 on: 28 November 2014, 13:07:43 »

Seen these  :-\  Mask

I been looking at an Arc welder myself  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 28 November 2014, 13:11:34 »

Arc welding is fine for structural lumps but bloody hopeless on cars and the like unless its nothing more than bodging a patch on.

And there even worse when it comes to thin plate and panels.

For me personally ARC welding only has a single advantage and that is you can weld outside with it (so good for gates etc)

omega3000

« Reply #125 on: 28 November 2014, 13:14:01 »

Arc welding is fine for structural lumps but bloody hopeless on cars and the like unless its nothing more than bodging a patch on.

For me personally ARC welding only has a single advantage and that is you can weld outside with it (so good for gates etc)

What about welding in tight spaces though , mig cant do that  :-\ Ive seen some video of thin plate welding with Arc

Mr webroot , you know you can get flux core wire for mig then you wont need to keep buying gas  :)
« Last Edit: 28 November 2014, 13:18:32 by Emd »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 28 November 2014, 13:33:34 »

What about welding in tight spaces though , mig cant do that  :-\ Ive seen some video of thin plate welding with Arc

Mr webroot , you know you can get flux core wire for mig then you wont need to keep buying gas  :)

Welding in tight spaces is harder with Arc, particularly with a fresh rod.

And welding thin stuff with ARC is a mare, easiest way to distort a panel or suffer blow through.  :y

I do all three types, MIG, ARC and TIG.....and its very much horses for courses.  :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 28 November 2014, 15:12:21 »

Im reading this 'blog' every day and really enjoying the trials and tribulations your going through, as I'm in the same boat as you are...

I had to buy a MIG to weld my Omega to get it through its last MoT as the stick/arc welder I have was just too harsh for the metal I was attempting to patch up...

The MIG made it sooo much easier to sort out it's MoT... Gonna need it again for the next, but will have a lot more experience this time...

I won't say I can weld, I wouldn't call myself a 'welder' BUT I can join 2 pieces of metal together using the welding process LOL

I actually enjoy welding, I will admit I don't mind if I need to weld something, I usually make an excuse to do some sort of welding..

I have an auto dimming mask, which is adjustable for how dark it gets, which I find very handy... Compared to when I first did any sort of welding when I was a kid (about 18) and welded without a mask, I had a mask but it got in the way... Anyhoo the day after I couldn't see, had horrible sunburn and drove myself to the hospital (stupid I know) they gave me some drops and pain killers which helped but I had to see an optician as ever since Iv been sensitive to bright lights because I burnt my retina... Not fun... I look back now and laugh but Iv never once welded without a mask...

Glad you're enjoying it mate and all the best for your welding  :y

That's a really good point. When can you call yourself a welder? lol technically I suppose I can having welded two pieces of metal together  ;D but I'd say I know 5%.... so still got 95% to go  ;D

Re the mask. that would suck. you still get the eye sensitivity?  :o :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

aaronjb

« Reply #128 on: 28 November 2014, 15:15:47 »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 28 November 2014, 15:16:28 »

Steve, thanks for that link. Don't care about design of mask. Just want a ''good 'un''  :y

Re the flux core... I did consider it. Is it even compatible with my machine? I was told by a few people not to bother. Can't remember the reason why  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 28 November 2014, 15:18:30 »

When can you call yourself a welder?

When you're coded ;) http://www.hgcodedwelding.com/Articles/how-do-we-define-coded-welding-or-code-welding

Whilst I'd love to flash a welding cert. at people that's definitely not for me. I'd much prefer to say ''yeah, I taught myself''......with help from OOF of course  ;) ;) ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 28 November 2014, 18:18:08 »

Steve, thanks for that link. Don't care about design of mask. Just want a ''good 'un''  :y

Re the flux core... I did consider it. Is it even compatible with my machine? I was told by a few people not to bother. Can't remember the reason why  :-\
you need to reverse polarity of gun-2 wires inside welder near wire spool--and dont bother---rusts very quickly and harder to do as heat is more local -giving distortion of metal being welded---not good for bodywork
When can you call yourself a welder?

When you're coded ;) http://www.hgcodedwelding.com/Articles/how-do-we-define-coded-welding-or-code-welding

Whilst I'd love to flash a welding cert. at people that's definitely not for me. I'd much prefer to say ''yeah, I taught myself''......with help from OOF of course  ;) ;) ;)
lloyds and british federal :y thats mine
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 28 November 2014, 18:27:38 »

Knew there was a reason for not using it. Just couldn't remember what.

Yep, I know the leads you're talking about.  . . Won't touch them!  ;D

My first bottle of gas is still working  :o woulda thought that woulda run out by now. Got three back up double capacity bottles just in case though  :)

Re mig welding in tight spaces. . . Interested to know why it wouldn't work. . . Obviously depending on what your definition of tight spaces is. E.g. I have seen many vids where people repair chassis parts using mig.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 28 November 2014, 18:32:25 »

Knew there was a reason for not using it. Just couldn't remember what.

Yep, I know the leads you're talking about.  . . Won't touch them!  ;D

My first bottle of gas is still working  :o woulda thought that woulda run out by now. Got three back up double capacity bottles just in case though  :)

Re mig welding in tight spaces. . . Interested to know why it wouldn't work. . . Obviously depending on what your definition of tight spaces is. E.g. I have seen many vids where people repair chassis parts using mig.
you can build a chassis mate--but you need good weld penetration--otherwise risky and tight space? if you can get gun into it and see--then not a problem--try dummy run with gun first--ie not welding-just checking movement/room etc
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

omega3000

« Reply #134 on: 28 November 2014, 18:57:48 »

Flux core will smoke out your garage pretty quick though  ;D + splatter issues ...

Just been watching flux core gas shield  :D
« Last Edit: 28 November 2014, 19:00:01 by Emd »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.