Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speeding - caught or not?!?  (Read 4981 times)

05omegav6

Re: Speeding - caught or not?!?
« Reply #30 on: 05 March 2015, 22:13:32 »

My tuppence worth...

Quit bellyaching about everybody elses' driving and concentrate on your own... next time it will be three points minimum and a £90 fine ;)

Btw, if you were clocked at 35, your speedo would have been reading alot nearer forty...

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 March 2015, 22:15:16 »

I always understood that only the "Truvelo" speed camera was approved for forward-facing photos, and hence valid as evidence for prosecution, not any old van?

Ron.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 March 2015, 22:22:17 »

Stopping distances are a load of old cobblers now, worked out when cars had shit brakes and four inch tyres, according to the boys on top gear. If I ever have to do a course, I'll be sure to tell them this.  ;D

You tell them  :y ;D ;D ;D

To be honest, a friend of a friend who I have downed many pints with over the years is a long standing traffic plod with Humberside Police.
His opinion is they should be scrapped and more traffic coppers (the old version which had common sense) should be out there as a visual deterrent.
If i'm honest, after some of the stories that he has told about some of the accidents he has been first on the scene at, I can understand why some coppers really do go to town on this  :(

05omegav6

« Reply #33 on: 05 March 2015, 22:23:49 »

Just to add most other drivers are morons...

Was driving a fully liveried Sprinter earlier, and still had some tw4t try and overtake me at a red pedestrian crossing...

There really is no helping some people... and fretting it will only put you in an early grave

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2015, 22:29:40 »

I always understood that only the "Truvelo" speed camera was approved for forward-facing photos, and hence valid as evidence for prosecution, not any old van?

Ron.

Anything else to say in your defence Ron ??? NO  ??? Right this court finds you guilty & you can pay all my costs including 6 points on your licence & 12 weeks in jail for wastin OOF court time. :D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 March 2015, 22:34:03 »

At least I will save petrol in those 12 weeks!   ;D

Ron.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 March 2015, 23:54:48 »

I feel for you I really do DBG it's an utter p**s take...

Well, After reading though this I'm tempted to get one of these, Presuming they actually work.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151364368412

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #37 on: 06 March 2015, 08:04:38 »

Nope, there's about half a dozen cameras now, possibly more approved for speed detection.

I've never give a ticket for 35, verbal warning perhaps. I hate speed cameras personally, they take away the need for us & they never get placed correctly.

After the course I been on this week I wonder IF the enforcement  site is correct   :o :o :o. (Saying no more)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 March 2015, 09:25:57 »

Well, After reading though this I'm tempted to get one of these, Presuming they actually work.

Save your money. A database isn't much use against mobile cameras and the only thing that will detect a modern mobile camera before it's too late is the eyeball.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 March 2015, 10:32:53 »

Well, I wasn't aware that you could actually fail the course, I thought it was just a sit in a room and be told stuff. But fair enough, I'll sit and 'listen' - I'm not going to cost myself literally hundreds of pounds over the next few years for the sake of a point - (though if I were earning more money than I am I'd be tempted - another point I'd like to make - a fixed fine is not an 'equal' punishment - half a week's wage to some, half an hour's wage to others, but that's for another discussion)

Here's my issue - and thank you Jasonm, your comments make me feel at least there are decent and flexible members of the force out there. I've personally never had it 'in' for the Police, never been a coppper-hater, always brought up to believe they're there for our protection and to help and serve the public etc... and consequently owed our respect. And I'd like to think that on that day, had I been flashed by a copper and pulled over, I'd have been able to say "I really wasn't sure if this was a 30 or a 40, until I saw that sign [ten yards away] saying '40' which got me thinking 'hang on, does that mean this is a 30, then?' I was just going at the same speed as the other cars around me, thinking I was actually under the limit by several mph. I am genuinely sorry.'

- and I am, I am genuinely sorry, and I've actually sharpened up this last week, really trying to watch any possible speed incursions. The Policeman [I'd hope] would actually look at the few yards away from the 40 sign, and the bollocking this lad has just received, him sitting there being embarrassed in front of his girlfriend, and the fact he is clearly not a 'nob driver' - if he was he'd have been 5 ft behind the car in front, flashing his lights and swearing at him. He wasn't, he was cruising along with the flow of traffic.

And a quick stern talking to would have made me sit up and watch it in future, as well as - if not more - that this course I'll be going on.

But this experience, along with a few years back my cousin receiving death threats due to his father's appearing in Court to try and prosecute a murderer... and the Police claiming there was 'nothing they could do' does really start to tarnish how I was brought up. And that's a shame, I don't think the average bobby would reasonably consider mine or others' actions as being outright dangerous, and there are a vast amount/majority of decent Police Officers out there, but actions like this simply causes the general public to get their back up, and generate ill feeling, Which is wrong.

Finally, if they want to increase safety (and still generate income), stick a Bobby at my old Junior School gates for 10 or 15 mins at half 3pm, and just see how many people park on the huge yellow zig-zags, or how many regularly barrel down the same road at 40 (it's a 20), or the main road where the same owner every day reverses his car out onto a blind bend, at the foot of a hill, and every day it's down to alert motorists to stop in time. (All this occurs less that 100yards from the town's Police station)  :'(
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 06 March 2015, 10:34:04 »

Jason, you are bound to be right and I am out of date, but I thought the issue with cameras that took photos of the front of the vehicle was one of privacy and for that reason, the EU outlawed them?
The strength of feelings on this topic, albeit from a motoring group, does show that the law does not represent the will of the people in this and, as we all know, is much more to do with revenue collection than safety - hence your comment on their "never being placed correctly"; they are correctly placed to generate maximum incone......

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06 March 2015, 11:46:32 »

Save your money. A database isn't much use against mobile cameras and the only thing that will detect a modern mobile camera before it's too late is the eyeball.

By the time you've spotted the camera van, it's probably spotted you!  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 06 March 2015, 11:48:08 »

Ok, skipping to the punchline - short answer is - wait 14 days + a couple for the fine/ticket to be posted, and you'll know if you've been done or not.

/pedant mode on/

No. The law is that the initial NIP must be "served" within 14 days of the date of the offence. "Served" has a specific legal meaning, which is roughly translated as "should be expected to arrive at the addressee within two days if posted by 1st class post". So it needs to "arrive" at you on or before day 14. There is no "+ a couple for the fine/ticket to be posted".

/pedant mode off/

However, it sounds like they're well within time on this occasion, so no help to you.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 March 2015, 11:54:27 »

Agree. If you want to find out how far away they pinged you, you can write back to them and request that they supply you with "a photograph to help with identifying the driver". Do not use words like evidence or proof! Just ask for a photo in vague, non accusatory language.

They may not have any, and they might not let you have it even if they do. But they usually do.

However, whether they do or don't send it, make sure you return the S172 within the 28 day time limit. Don't wait for the photo to arrive!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06 March 2015, 12:57:55 »

If you're on a deserted road, that's probably true, but I've spotted them in the past when I've probably still been obscured by the traffic I'm following.

Worst I've had is a "satisfied that an offence was committed but will not be taking any action", and that was a man with gun who I saw from a mile away and passed at 31 indicated on the Omega's speedo. Yeah, right. I must look guilty. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.