Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know about the Insignia 2.8T elite 4x4?  (Read 4998 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Anyone know about the Insignia 2.8T elite 4x4?
« on: 25 February 2016, 00:16:05 »

So, doing my usual browsing of the classifieds brought me to insignias (don't ask!). I've always liked the idea of the vxr but its a bit...well... McDonalds Car Park in its appearance for my tastes.

But, then I found the elite 2.8T 4x4, seemingly the same car sans Halfords bling. Perfect!

Except that it also seems to be short around 70 of vauxhall's finest horses. It makes a meagre 256bhp. I was wondering what differences there were between the elite and the vxr. Clearly a map and an intercooler I would imagine but does anyone know if they share the same turbo & other gubbins?

:y

Edited to add:
It seems AMD claim their remap will see 305 bhp and 315 ft lbs torque. Seems like a nice Q-Car option to me. Especially with a CDTI badge on the back  ;D
« Last Edit: 25 February 2016, 00:19:47 by jimmy944 »

05omegav6

Re: Anyone know about the Insignia 2.8T elite 4x4?
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2016, 01:06:56 »

Biggest difference is the gearbox... Elite is auto only, hence the missing 70bhp. There are some trim differences too, but the VXR is available with heated sports leather.

Go with the VXR in manual saloon or estate guise (according to your needs, hatch is irrelevant. If you need better access get the estate and make the most of the decent opening. If you don't, then the saloon will be fine, and although rarer, should be cheaper)... especially if you've ever driven either a Sierra XR4x4 or Cosworth 4x4...

Expect about 14mpg if you drive it rather than pootle though :-X

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2016, 09:33:59 »

Biggest difference is the gearbox... Elite is auto only, hence the missing 70bhp. There are some trim differences too, but the VXR is available with heated sports leather.

Go with the VXR in manual saloon or estate guise (according to your needs, hatch is irrelevant. If you need better access get the estate and make the most of the decent opening. If you don't, then the saloon will be fine, and although rarer, should be cheaper)... especially if you've ever driven either a Sierra XR4x4 or Cosworth 4x4...

YIKES! I didn't realise they were that bad. I was expecting 23-25 on a run, maybe down to 18/19 if giving it the boot. Thats worse than my old man's C5 RS6! If I were contemplating fuel numbers like that I'd plump for a 5L v10 s6.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2016, 10:09:54 »

So, doing my usual browsing of the classifieds brought me to insignias (don't ask!). I've always liked the idea of the vxr but its a bit...well... McDonalds Car Park in its appearance for my tastes.

But, then I found the elite 2.8T 4x4, seemingly the same car sans Halfords bling. Perfect!

Except that it also seems to be short around 70 of vauxhall's finest horses
. It makes a meagre 256bhp. I was wondering what differences there were between the elite and the vxr. Clearly a map and an intercooler I would imagine but does anyone know if they share the same turbo & other gubbins?

:y

Edited to add:
It seems AMD claim their remap will see 305 bhp and 315 ft lbs torque. Seems like a nice Q-Car option to me. Especially with a CDTI badge on the back  ;D

It shares the same 2.8 V6  with my Signum.......250 BHP......258 lb ft of torque.

It is a real 'stump puller' with maximum torque delivered at a diesel like 1800 RPM..........however, unlike a horrible smoky derv it will rev to six and a bit.

I've just checked my trip computer which shows (don't ask me how accurate it is) 27.4 MPG over the last 9945 miles. :y

I'm not a fan of the Insignia but the engine is good. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2016, 10:15:16 »

YIKES! I didn't realise they were that bad. I was expecting 23-25 on a run, maybe down to 18/19 if giving it the boot. Thats worse than my old man's C5 RS6! If I were contemplating fuel numbers like that I'd plump for a 5L v10 s6.

30 MPG. Maybe a little more.

My car pulls tall gears. 70 MPH in top with the 6 speed auto box requires just 2000 RPM. :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2016, 13:26:03 »

Ahh the good Dr, yes of course, I'd forgotten about the Signum. Thinking about it I must have had Gentleman Jack induced brain fade last night, I know the engine comparatively well from my days of hanging out in the Saab forums. Good lump by all accounts. I wonder if its got the same Haldex 4x4 that's in the 9-3 TurboX.... :-\. If it has I'll bet every one on autotrader is overdue a service  ;D.

Anything in particular against the Insignia, anything that needs closer examination? Other than the £500/yr in tax that is  :o

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2016, 15:08:16 »

I took a VXR hatch out for a spin... had to refuel halfway through the test drive... if only to shut the mid up ;D

Running gear is basically the same as the Saab only with nearly 20% more oomph (in the VXR).

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2016, 15:48:17 »

Yeah, I think the Turbo X was about 280bhp, 290 ft lbs but also rare as rocking horse poop.

Considering that made a 0-60 of 5.6 sec in auto guise, I suspect a remap to 300bhp should see the insignia do a bit better, given its about the same weight as the saab. 

I like the VRX, really I do, but a few things put the elite ahead of it for me...

• I'd feel a bit of a wally in a blinged up insignia
  • The car has to be my daily - so autobox works better for that I think
  • I'm a real sucker for a complete Q-Car - relatively small alloys, super discrete
  • A substantial chunk of cost  ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2016, 16:29:49 »

Point 4 will be needed to pay for a new box when you blow it up :y manual mechanically stronger...

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2016, 16:47:34 »

If your coming from a 2.2 Omega then a standard Insignia 2.8T Elite should be enough power to keep you happy for awhile  :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2016, 16:59:21 »

Ha, you'd think wouldn't you!

Trouble is my last car before the mig was a stg1 Saab 9-5 aero with about 280bhp and 400NM.

Honestly I love the mig, but sometimes it feels like I could get out and jog faster  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2016, 17:34:11 »

Being turbo'd will kill economy if hoofing it. Probably far better off with a much larger lump, but NA.
Grumpy old man

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2016, 17:35:36 »

Ha, you'd think wouldn't you!

Trouble is my last car before the mig was a stg1 Saab 9-5 aero with about 280bhp and 400NM.

Honestly I love the mig, but sometimes it feels like I could get out and jog faster  ;D

You had yours noob'd then!  What a difference it makes!!!  :y
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2016, 17:38:43 »

Z28NEL is available in 230 and 250bhp flavour, Z28NET is available in 250 & 280bhp.

All basically the same engine but the NET has a bigger air box and different mapping and possibly slightly different cam profile but I might have dreamt that

Oddly all easily map to around 300bhp and 400lb torque.

Autobox can easily handle this

Real world daily commute with my lead foot is 24mpg, far far better than the scary 14mpg.

Chain problems started on the Insignia, oddly, that is the only real thing you need to be careful of with the NET engine

Big power is fairly easy on these, but would need uprated clutch and an LSD (if manual)

AF40 6 speed box is pretty bomb proof so don't be scared of an auto

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2016, 20:26:32 »

You had yours noob'd then!  What a difference it makes!!!  :y

Certainly did! Probably my favourite all round car. Not that quick off the mark due to its weight, but the overtaking ability was second to none. If I could find a decent estate I'd definitely consider another. My only caveat is that I'd really like an auto, primarily due to idleness and the ones in the 9-5 seem pretty archaic, in fact I think the same 'box was what Ben Hur had fitted to his wheels!

Phil:

SOme useful information there thanks!  :y

What car do you have yours in?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.