Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off to look at a 3.2 Vectra C - what to look out for?  (Read 4967 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Off to look at a 3.2 Vectra C - what to look out for?
« on: 31 January 2017, 22:43:35 »

Following the demise of my M140i (again), I am on the look out for a new motor.  :y

I have decided to put the Desmond on the road for a month or two while I purchase and fettle its replacement (most likely with added lpg). I have a couple of little jobs to do on it to get it ready for sale (sticky ignition switch and blow in the join between the cat and middle exhaust sections) plus the MOT is up in March, I am 99.9% confident it will pass, with no advisories once I join the exhaust properly, but until I put a fresh ticket on it, its basically unsaleable.

I have spotted a good looking Vectra C 3.2 v6 auto with less than 100k on the clock and a good wedge of history. Its Elite spec so has the necessary minimum toys: leather, heated seats, etc. looks promising  :y

But, as I have not had dealings with the 3.2 I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I understand the basic lump is the same as the omega, but that the inlet manifolds are different, so thats belts and pump every 4yrs/40k? Also, what's the auto box like on these? I'm guessing its not going to be the same, or as strong as the omega as it has to squeeze into the gap between the flywheel and the wheel arch liner.  ::)

Also, any general tips on the Vec C? all I know about it so far is that its ugly as sin and bloody enormous. Also, they seem to wear well inside, there's a few taxis with 250k + on autotrader, and other than worn steering wheels and gear knobs, the interiors look in good fettle.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Off to look at a 3.2 Vectra C - what to look out for?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2017, 23:13:16 »

Estate is a formidable load lugger. Radiators only seem to last 100k, but cheap and easy to replace. Check springs for breakage. Front electric and heated rear seats are rare, but desirable options. Wheel well will take a fullsize spare, but standard spacesaver. Watch out for lift off oversteer if the roads are greasy when you test drive it.
Expect signs of coolant from the expansion tank overflow, new cap cures it. Fundamentally the engine is a non multiram version of the Omega v6. One positive side effect of wwd is that the coilpacks don't get wet... scuttle is also a different design. They're pretty rustproof as well.

Owned and serviced three later Vectras for a combined total of about 250k miles... only issues beyond servicing were rads and a front spring. They were all manual though...

Try it, and go from there. Remember the MoT history check, it's free and gives a fair insight of how a car has behaved and been looked after. Personally I would seek out a manual one, relatively rare in Elite spec, but they do exist... the only car I have ever abandoned in snow was an auto Vectra diesel.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2017, 23:51:10 »

Really useful stuff, thanks  :y

No rear heated seats, but tbh I don't have any use for them so not too worried. I already had a look at the MOT check and nothing sinister, had a new exhaust 2yrs ago by the looks. Rear brakes binding but fixed, loose cv boots.

Nothing I'd be worried about tbh. Lets see what tomorrow brings  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2017, 00:27:36 »

Rear brakes either hand brake (caliper actuation not drums) post 2006 this was addressed in production. Earlier is luck of draw... it's either a problem or it isn't or wheel bearings... hubs get hot and feels like the handbrake is stuck on.

Had both issues with my first, a '55 cdti manual. Of the three petrol ones, two were '55 as well, and no issues. That diesel one was such a dog I would never entertain another (bought as a year old demonstrator with 10k and written off 6 months/25k later. Best thing to happen to it)... 1.8/2.8/3.2 petrol all the way.

Actually that diesel reminds me, they can have issues with the wiper motors... check all the wiper functions work.

Being an Elite it should have NCDC2013/15 with full colour screen. Also electric tailgate. Button on window switch panel and another on base of tailgate inner trim. To open press the button in the car or the handle on tailgate or thed key fob. Should ping itself up smoothly... freewheel cable to open. To close, press button on tailgate and stand back. Should pull itself closed with minimum of fuss... cable wound in electrically. Whatever you do, do not help the tailgate move... it will stop and you have to close it to reset it... kind of a love hate thing... used to end up rowing with passengers over it because they would insist on trying to force it after I expressly asked them not to >:( nice touch though. Sunroof works the same way as an Omega. Talking of window switch... There are only two window buttons on it... centre portion slides up and down, up for front, down for rear.
Onanists always think outside the box.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2017, 09:52:26 »

What to look out for :

some d*ckhead putting the engine back in sideways and removing the omega badge from the boot  ;)
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2017, 10:39:43 »

Look at it, then walk straight past it and buy something else.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2017, 11:57:49 »

Look at it, then walk straight past it and buy something else.  ;D

Only  if it runs on derv. :)

3.2 Vectra will be usefully quick, especially in manual form as Al has already said.

Personally I think the 2.8 Turbo lump best.  A nice white ex-plod estate with a manual box shouldn't break the bank while you are waiting for BMW to take their finger out of their arse.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2017, 12:02:15 by Doctor Opti »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2017, 12:11:59 »

Indeed, I would agree. However, my current thinking is that the 3.2 will be a simpler engine to maintain and (dare I say it) easier to LPG. The 2.8T's are known to be a bit of a pig on the LPG front (requiring a fuel return solenoid and a number of other tweaks).

That said, this looks a nice thing, and "barely run in"  :y

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Opel-Vectra-2-8i-V6-24v-Turbo-Nav-2784cc-auto-2006-5MY-Elite-/272526417482?hash=item3f73d71e4a:g:ONoAAOSwopRYf1u-

However, it is 3 times the price of the 3.2 :P. The whole experience with the M140i has put me off running anything other than a shed as my daily. I have garage space, and am now leaning towards a classic/weekend toy. I could, in truth keep the Desmond, but I think that the v6 would be a much better tool for motorway work (>90% of my miles). I reckon it will cost me about £500 to "upgrade" from the Desmond.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2017, 12:14:12 »

Indeed, I would agree. However, my current thinking is that the 3.2 will be a simpler engine to maintain and (dare I say it) easier to LPG. The 2.8T's are known to be a bit of a pig on the LPG front (requiring a fuel return solenoid and a number of other tweaks).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Opel-Vectra-2-8i-V6-24v-Turbo-Nav-2784cc-auto-2006-5MY-Elite-/272526417482?hash=item3f73d71e4a:g:ONoAAOSwopRYf1u-

However, it is 3 times the price of the 3.2 :P. The whole experience with the M140i has put me off running anything other than a shed as my daily. I have garage space, and am now leaning towards a classic/weekend toy. I could, in truth keep the Desmond, but I think that the v6 would be a much better tool for motorway work (>90% of my miles). I reckon it will cost me about £500 to "upgrade" from the Desmond.

Will BMW allow you to cancel you agreement/setup, now if it's failed again? As you maybe left with something you have to keep paying for plus a shed on the side?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2017, 12:15:12 »

What's your 2.2 Estate like? Why not use that? Or lacking Ooomph?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2017, 12:24:44 »

Ironically, its probably one of the cleanest left around (I estimate). '03, 78k, no meaningful rust (coin sized bubble starting below the tailgate wiper), mechanically pretty perfect.

The problem is that mated to a slush-box the engine really is underhorsed for the task, meaning its for ever up and down the ratios, even on relatively minor inclines. I just want something a bit more relaxed.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2017, 12:46:47 »

I agree.

£3995 for a decade old Vectra is far too much.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2017, 12:50:50 »

Will BMW allow you to cancel you agreement/setup, now if it's failed again? As you maybe left with something you have to keep paying for plus a shed on the side?

I would think they now have no option.

They should also give Jimmy £1000 compensation for selling him a 'lemon' and send a bunch of flowers and a bottle of champagne to his good lady.

The card should read " We fu*ked up and we are so very sorry"

Will this scenario become reality, I wonder?

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2017, 13:05:39 »

Other issue with a 3.2 Turbo is the Road Fund Licence will make your wallet squeal  :(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2017, 13:24:15 »

Other issue with a 3.2 Turbo is the Road Fund Licence will make your wallet squeal  :(

3.2 is N/A Mr Ambla. :y

2.8 is turbocharged........and cost £500 + to tax each year. :'(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2017, 13:50:57 »

Engine means nothing, it's the year.

If it's registered after 1st March then it get's the crappy VED bill. Pre 1st March 2006 it's the happy days one  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2017, 13:53:38 »

If it's registered after 1st March then it get's the crappy VED bill. Pre 1st March 2006 it's the happy days one  :y

July 2007. :-\

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 February 2017, 13:55:27 »

Remember looking at a Turbo Signum a while ago,almost to the point of parting with money...when I saw the road fund cost decided against it.

Thanks for clarification,Mr.T

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 February 2017, 13:56:38 »

Join me in the  £500 a year VED gang 😂

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 February 2017, 13:57:56 »

That's just way too pricey for our crap roads. >:(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 February 2017, 14:01:53 »

That's just way too pricey for our crap roads. >:(

I balance the Merc out with a £20 a year  Smart Fortwo for commuting 😉

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 February 2017, 14:06:00 »

It's worse, Mr B.....eanz. £45.07 x 12 = £540.84. :'(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 February 2017, 14:17:23 »

It's worse, Mr B.....eanz. £45.07 x 12 = £540.84. :'(
'Conveniently ' all 4 cars' road tax is due at the end of May (?) which means something like £800+ ..... I usually do it all in one hit!! 😨
It's  only money 😀

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 February 2017, 15:20:28 »

I got a Vectra C 3.2 Manual Elite with all the toys Sat Nav Colour CID etc, LPG'd as well, wasn't really in the market for one, but this came up as Seller kept quiet about it being LPG as there was no Gas where he lived, price was right so would have been rude not to for a cheap run around.

DiffO get a manual, especially if your thinking about getting it LPG'd, there not brilliant on fuel, MPG wise no much better than my 3.2 Manual Plod (also LPG'd), In fact I would also say my 3.2 Manual Plod gives the Veccy 3.2 a good if not better run for its money on a straight and around corners, the Veccy just doesn't seem to have the same grunt as the Omega 3.0/3.2's.

Driver and seating position seems to take ages to get used to, keep messing with the seat position doesn't seem to help, unlike the Omega where you just jump in it and go.  :-\

Can be a lot of phantom Canbus fault reporting issue going on with the Veccy C, which can be challenging with the MOT Man, another common problem is the Electric Assisted Power Steering throw up faults when theres nothing wrong with it, under steer is not too bad on them with the right tyres on, no provision to turn TC off so your pretty much in the hands of the Gods if you push it around in the wet.

Apart from that not a bad run around once you get the hang of them compared to the Omega, not sure I would be paying tons of money for one though.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 February 2017, 16:37:27 »

Driver and seating position seems to take ages to get used to, keep messing with the seat position doesn't seem to help, unlike the Omega where you just jump in it and go.  :-\

This is my primary issue with them, not very comfy. Given that when we do long drives, MrsT will hand me the keys, I want something comfy I could just jump straight into!

Volvo V70 on the other hand, sat in a few of these, super, super comfy! (2005-8ish) era. Before they interior went pants.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 February 2017, 19:37:39 »

Well, that was a let down, a real case of one man's "stunning example" is another man's fixer-upper  ::).

In summary: badly stonechipped nose, leaky cam cover(s), lumpy idle both cold and warm, tear in the drivers seat, heating and ventilation not working on drivers side, sluggish electrical adjustment, driver's side wing mirror had lost interest, tailgate bloody noisy. Oh and last time it had a cam belt, Gordon Brown was in Number 10!  ;D

There was also a remnant of some kind of dried herbs in the centre console, looked a bit like oregano, did not smell like oregano  ::)

Not sure how it drove, as I didn't bother. It also wasn't cold when I got there, which could be innocent, or not. Sadly one of those that photograph's well, but doesn't stand up to close inspection.

I forgot to post the ad before now, just in case anyone else is in the market for a lot of work:

http://www.darnallmotors.co.uk/used-cars/vauxhall-vectra-3-2-i-v6-24v-elite-5dr-sheffield-201612060379717?at_source=autotrader&at_medium=desktop&at_campaign=website-visit&_ga=1.184986345.1964346080.1449582278

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 01 February 2017, 20:34:21 »

Sheffield....that was a bit of a drive to view a heap of shit.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 February 2017, 20:46:56 »

Yeah. Thankfully I had a meeting to go to in Heanor, so I was 3/4 of the way there already. Otherwise I would have been p!ssed!

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 02 February 2017, 08:54:35 »

Yeah. Thankfully I had a meeting to go to in Heanor, so I was 3/4 of the way there already. Otherwise I would have been p!ssed!

I'd have been narked anyway, although it sounds like the current owner could have offered you something to take the edge off that!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 February 2017, 12:20:47 »

£1299......hardly a bargain bucket price.

For that money it should have been excellent......if not quite perfect.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02 February 2017, 12:25:08 »

Stunning example, apparently. ::)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 February 2017, 12:28:43 »

Stunning example, apparently. ::)

Well I was stunned when I inspected it.  ::)

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 February 2017, 12:32:38 »

I'd have been narked anyway, although it sounds like the current owner could have offered you something to take the edge off that!

Read that as 'naked'  ;D ;D ;D
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

STEMO

« Reply #33 on: 02 February 2017, 14:45:52 »

Aaron..naked? Don't. :o

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 February 2017, 14:58:07 »

Aaron..naked? Don't. :o

Every body is beautiful ( tall leggy women between 18-35) only. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.