Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which tyre supplier?  (Read 2985 times)

feeutfo

Re: Which tyre supplier?
« Reply #15 on: 20 July 2011, 21:28:38 »

Cue chrisgixer to comment on 912s ;D

Good enough for this perhaps?

;D
...,no directional stability, not even for a monkey swing. Baaad choice!

Actually what make is that in the pic? Would drive straighter no doubt.  >:(

I'd rather fit a water bed on each corner, falken useless Falken piles of falken shite!  >:(

Even the monkey has time to look out the side window. I couldn't take me eyes off the road for a second with falken Falken912's fitted.

In fact those tyres still affect me even now. You know, look out sideways for a second, at a sign or whatever, and I'm petrified. In fact it's a shock that the car now stays on the bit of road I left it on when I looked away, now it's got decent tyres on it. Look away, aaaaah too long, I'm going to crash, look back aaaah..... Oh, it's ok we haven't hit an oncoming car or a ditch. Aaaaand relax.

O oh, another sign coming up, aaaaaah we're going to crash... Etc etc. Scarred for life I am. :'(

Never ever ever fit falken Falken tyres. Esp not to a big car like an omega. EVER!

And predictive text has replaced rather with Falken how appropriate.

If I was an admin I'd be playin with the word filter!  ;D

ted_one

« Reply #16 on: 20 July 2011, 21:34:11 »

I've got to agree about Bracknell tyres,because my son is the manager of Universal tyres at Staines and he says that although Universal can cut some good deals they cant beat Bracknell tyres.I suppose I'm lucky because I get my tyres from him at cost which makes it worth the twenty mile drive too Staines :y 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 July 2011, 22:54:31 »

Cue chrisgixer to comment on 912s ;D

Good enough for this perhaps?

;D
...,no directional stability, not even for a monkey swing. Baaad choice!

Actually what make is that in the pic? Would drive straighter no doubt.  >:(

I'd rather fit a water bed on each corner, falken useless Falken piles of falken shite!  >:(

Even the monkey has time to look out the side window. I couldn't take me eyes off the road for a second with falken Falken912's fitted.

In fact those tyres still affect me even now. You know, look out sideways for a second, at a sign or whatever, and I'm petrified. In fact it's a shock that the car now stays on the bit of road I left it on when I looked away, now it's got decent tyres on it. Look away, aaaaah too long, I'm going to crash, look back aaaah..... Oh, it's ok we haven't hit an oncoming car or a ditch. Aaaaand relax.

O oh, another sign coming up, aaaaaah we're going to crash... Etc etc. Scarred for life I am. :'(

Never ever ever fit falken Falken tyres. Esp not to a big car like an omega. EVER!

And predictive text has replaced rather with Falken how appropriate.

If I was an admin I'd be playin with the word filter!  ;D
Pricing some 912s up as we speak, Mr Gixer? :P

To confirm what the gay one says, I did drive his car with 912s on. Went about 1/2m, refused to drive it any further.  As a test, we swapped tyres, his Falkens on my MV6, my Dunlops on his Elite. Whilst my MV6 drove better than his Elite on Falkens, it was still awful, no stability, constantly sawing away at wheel like an old American film.  The Elite was markedly better on the Dunlops.

In fact, when gixer put the Dunlops back on my MV6, he put them on wrong (directional), and I was so used to the Falkens, it took me a few miles to notice (and it was piddling down).
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #18 on: 20 July 2011, 23:49:38 »

For Grover?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 July 2011, 23:52:54 »

For Grover?
No, I was wondering if you were... ...your tyres are in need of replacement, and 912s are surely the best tyre out there?

(for members reading this, that is a sarcastic remark, I could never recommend Falken 912s on the Omega)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 July 2011, 23:55:02 »

For Grover?
The Rover runs P6000 on the back (really good on the Rover) and KU31s on the front (not as good as the P6000s, but still pretty good, though tends not to tell you when you're finding the limit).

P6000s are pretty crap on Omegas. Not tried KU31 on Omega, but I may....
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #21 on: 21 July 2011, 01:01:03 »

For Grover?
The Rover runs P6000 on the back (really good on the Rover) and KU31s on the front (not as good as the P6000s, but still pretty good, though tends not to tell you when you're finding the limit).

Oh I see.  ;D fairly safe comments btw.

I reckon from comments on here previously they (Falken) might suit smaller front wheel drive cars.  :-/ but I wouldn't risk it. Obviously.  ;D

Exceptionally quiet tyre.  :-/

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 July 2011, 07:32:25 »

For Grover?

Oh I see.  ;D fairly safe comments btw.

I reckon from comments on here previously they (Falken) might suit smaller front wheel drive cars.  :-/ but I wouldn't risk it. Obviously.  ;D

Exceptionally quiet tyre.  :-/

P6000's  :'( :'( To me they are worse by far than Falkens - ok in the dry but absolutely no grip in the wet. Got  [smiley=evil.gif]Falken 452's [smiley=evil.gif] on the front of my work car (MK3 Mondy) and they work really well wet or dry unless it gets too cold. Never tried Kumho's but after reading above and for the same price as  [smiley=evil.gif]912's [smiley=evil.gif], i'll take advice and give them a try :y :y Will bitch like mad if they're shite tho ;D 
Those are my principles, if you don't like them I have others.

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 July 2011, 09:15:11 »

Just gave them a quick call Chris,  Kumho KU39 245/40/18's fitted at £120/corner. Mytyres are asking £143  :o 

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 July 2011, 09:56:38 »

P6000's  :'( :'( To me they are worse by far than Falkens - ok in the dry but absolutely no grip in the wet. ...

I use them on the MX 5 and they are a great tyre, IMHO. Work well, wet and dry, wear very well, plenty of feedback and more than enough grip for a road car.

This is the problem with tyres. You can't generalise, because a particular model of tyre in 185/60/14, on a light car, will be a different animal to the same tyre in 235/45/17 on a heavy car. Add to that differences in driving style, expectation and variable levels of objectivity of any driver feedback and it's hardly worth bothering.

Just don't put Falkens on an Omega again. That's a pretty conclusive one. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #25 on: 21 July 2011, 10:41:25 »

Just gave them a quick call Chris,  Kumho KU39 245/40/18's fitted at £120/corner. Mytyres are asking £143  :o 
Ooh nice one, thankyou.  :y

And a significant saving on my current sc3's, which are great, but wearing a little too quick for the money. Although grip level is impressive obviously.

feeutfo

« Reply #26 on: 21 July 2011, 10:42:34 »

And a significant saving on my current sc3's, which are great, but wearing a little too quick for the money. Although grip level is impressive obviously.
Although ku39... Is that a typo?

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 July 2011, 11:30:54 »

No its not a typo, see link below. The guy said they were the later & better version of the 31. If you phone by 10am they can get them same day, after 10am its next day.

Kumho KU39 - http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=7728981.110.22343&typ=R-178633&ranzahl=4&Breite=245&Herst=Kumho&Quer=40&Felge=18&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=110   :y :y

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 21 July 2011, 11:58:10 »

No its not a typo, see link below. The guy said they were the later & better version of the 31. If you phone by 10am they can get them same day, after 10am its next day.

Kumho KU39 - http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=7728981.110.22343&typ=R-178633&ranzahl=4&Breite=245&Herst=Kumho&Quer=40&Felge=18&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=110   :y :y

A bit of reading around seems to indicated the KU39 isn't a replacement to the KU31 but rather a similar tyre "aimed at European tastes" (literally their words from the press release)..

Other than that they seem very similar, but given the tread patterns I suspect the KU39 is designed to be better in wet conditions - and it specifically mentions "low noise" which might prove Mr PickyGixer..

Annoyingly I can't find the wear ratings on their website which would give an idea of actual grip levels.

KU31 - http://www.kumhotire.com/tire/tire_detail.jsp?prdt_id=16
KU39 - http://www.kumhotire.com/tire/tire_detail.jsp?prdt_id=207

(KU31 is available in more sizes too)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 July 2011, 12:49:55 »

Interestingly, I had a look too, but landed on kumhotyre.co.uk and only the KU31 is listed, suggesting it's not aimed at the UK (or, of course, that they don't keep their Uk web site updated).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.