Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ford fiesta clutch pedal problem  (Read 25764 times)

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
ford fiesta clutch pedal problem
« on: 31 August 2011, 15:42:41 »

my sons 1.2 1999 zetec has developed a problem even though it hasnt left the drive for months. all of a sudden when you press the clutch pedal it is just going down with nothing there, feels like the cable has broke but it hasnt, ive looked. so cant put it in gear or do anything with it. any help i will be grateful

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: ford fiesta clutch pedal problem
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2011, 16:03:07 »

Richie,I'm pretty sure that the 1.25 fester has a hydraulic clutch so first check is to see if the fluid in the brake master cylinder has dropped below the point where the clutch cylinder gets its fluid
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2011, 16:34:08 »

Richie,I'm pretty sure that the 1.25 fester has a hydraulic clutch so first check is to see if the fluid in the brake master cylinder has dropped below the point where the clutch cylinder gets its fluid

if you mean in the bottle where you top up the brake fluid its just slightly below minimum.

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2011, 17:13:22 »

A hydraulic clutch would usually have it's own reservoir, separate from the brakes.. though if it's one of those cars with everything hidden under plastic, it can also be under there (the MR2 is - brake cylinder is visible, but the clutch reservoir isn't until you dismantle half the car)..

[edit] Can you see the clutch fork? If you can get eyes on that while someone presses the pedal, that'd be a good test for a start though :)
« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 17:13:52 by aaronjb »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2011, 18:12:08 »

A hydraulic clutch would usually have it's own reservoir, separate from the brakes.. though if it's one of those cars with everything hidden under plastic, it can also be under there (the MR2 is - brake cylinder is visible, but the clutch reservoir isn't until you dismantle half the car)..

[edit] Can you see the clutch fork? If you can get eyes on that while someone presses the pedal, that'd be a good test for a start though :)

ford use the brake master cylinder reservoir to feed the clutch master usually taken from about halfway down so it cant starve the brakes of fluid
other rides 

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2011, 18:15:39 »

if you mean in the bottle where you top up the brake fluid its just slightly below minimum.

that may be low enough to starve the clutch,first though you need to look at the top of the gearbox to ensure that it is hydraulic,if its a cable clutch then the cable and clutch arm are easily visible.
other rides 

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2011, 18:54:29 »

i'll have to jack the car up tomorrow when ray gets home, hes gone to elstree film studios to watch the big brother eviction the sad tinker  ;D ;D ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2011, 18:57:55 »

1.25l Fiestas are hydraulic clutch using a concentric slave cylinder. You can't see it; it's inside the bellhousing. Failure is common, with the posted symptoms. If you look under the car at the bellhousing/engine joint it might be possible to see the the brake fluid leaking out. If that's the case, and it porbably is, it's fearbox off and new clutch time. it is not worth replacing just the cylinder whilst you're in there. Nor is worth replacing the clutch without doing the cylinder at the same time.

Concentric cylinders are not the good idea they appeared to be. They are no more reliable than an externa; cylinder, but are a much bigger job to fix.

If the car is the model of Fiesta that's recently been replaced, it might just be that the pushrod between the master cylinder and the pedal has come loose. That's not attached to the pin on the pedal, and is another common fault. There should have been a clip, circlip, split pun or at least something to hold it in place.

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2011, 19:07:00 »

the car hasnt been on the rd for 4 months, there is no leaks underneath as i looked earlier, my son put it in gear yesterday  morning and it was ok, later on the clutch pedal was not working. i was just googling the problems and 1 could be the pushrod clip has come off??

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2011, 20:00:10 »

the car hasnt been on the rd for 4 months, there is no leaks underneath as i looked earlier, my son put it in gear yesterday  morning and it was ok, later on the clutch pedal was not working. i was just googling the problems and 1 could be the pushrod clip has come off??

Had that on the Mrs 04 fester, p*ss poor piece of design and the replacement ones are no better. Solved ours with a cable tie and jubilee clip :y
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2011, 20:34:18 »

ford use the brake master cylinder reservoir to feed the clutch master usually taken from about halfway down so it cant starve the brakes of fluid

I bow to your knowledge, then :) (I bet doing it that way saves Ford 50p per car..)

Concentric slave (as Nick says) blows my other idea out of the water, too!  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2011, 20:41:29 »

Do also be aware that these regularly brake the clutch pressure plate release springs which reulst in the clutch failing to disengage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.