Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: An armed guard in every school....  (Read 2713 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
An armed guard in every school....
« on: 22 December 2012, 00:00:56 »

So a week after the Newtown school massacre in Conneticut, the National Rifle Association (NRA) has called for an armed guard at every school in America, saying "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"  Basically they're saying that the answer to gun violence on US streets is... more guns!!  :-\

This on the same day that 3 innocent people were shot and killed in rural Pennsylvania in an apparent motiveless random shooting....  :'(

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/21/us-usa-shooting-pennsylvania-idUSBRE8BK0Y520121221

To be honest I don't know what the answer is, as the culture in the US surrounding guns is very different to here, but I don't think that armed guards in every school is the answer.  However, by all accounts sales of semi-automatic assault rifles have rocketed this week as people snap them up before any new legislation is passed banning such weapons... Crazy!!!  :o
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: An armed guard in every school....
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2012, 00:25:08 »

Imagine being able to throw one of these little babies in your trolley down at Tesco!!!  :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sig-Sauer-M400-Enhanced-Carbine-ODG-with-Rifle-Bag/21677318

:o :o :o

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2012, 00:28:03 »

I don't have an in depth understanding of American Culture or an understanding of their Gun Laws, but I don't think the Gun Law is the primary problem, this the reason for the 'twisted people' and their understanding that needs consideration IMO  However it does seem that the average person on the street can arm themselves, over the counter, with better equipment than our Troops in battle have, perhaps if such weapons of mass destruction were less available any killing sprees would, at least be smaller..... :-\ :-\ :-\

I worry about the message a Policeman in every school will give out, but can see the argument for, perhaps a 'Plain clothes' officer may be more appropriate, but feel that he/she would need to be absorbed into the business of the school rather than be known as a 'Guard'...........Just my thoughts...... :)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2012, 00:30:19 »

Imagine being able to throw one of these little babies in your trolley down at Tesco!!!  :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sig-Sauer-M400-Enhanced-Carbine-ODG-with-Rifle-Bag/21677318

No, Asda, makes it worse really..... ::) ::) ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2012, 00:34:44 »

The real trick is to tell the difference between the bad guy, and the good guy, of course. ::)

So, good guy sitting in an office at the school, with weapon, bored witless. Bad guy goes postal. How many magazines has he got through before good guy has even put his doughnut down? ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2012, 00:40:46 »

No, Asda, makes it worse really..... ::) ::) ::)

Well yes I knew that, but quoted Tesco as our biggest supermarket.  :)

To be honest I've always been fascinated by US gunshops and if/when I go there I'll go and have a lookysee! but I was quite shocked when I recently found out that you can buy guns at your local supermarket!  :o

albitz

« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2012, 07:50:26 »

I still vividly remember my first U.S. supermarket experience.Strolling down the aisles - bread in one,sweets & biscuits in the next,guns,ammo & fishing tackle in the next......
Couldnt believe my eyes. I loved the place though,and if I were younger and less skint I would seriously consider moving there.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2012, 08:22:18 »

So a week after the Newtown school massacre in Conneticut, the National Rifle Association (NRA) has called for an armed guard at every school in America, saying "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"  Basically they're saying that the answer to gun violence on US streets is... more guns!!  :-\

This on the same day that 3 innocent people were shot and killed in rural Pennsylvania in an apparent motiveless random shooting....  :'(

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/21/us-usa-shooting-pennsylvania-idUSBRE8BK0Y520121221

To be honest I don't know what the answer is, as the culture in the US surrounding guns is very different to here, but I don't think that armed guards in every school is the answer.  However, by all accounts sales of semi-automatic assault rifles have rocketed this week as people snap them up before any new legislation is passed banning such weapons... Crazy!!!  :o

Imo guns in a modern civilization life is a definite no no.. but for America a quick solution may be to use armed security as I said before.. here also guns are a part of our culture, but honestly speaking a culture existing with guns in my view is not a culture.. its a barbaristic tribe instead of a civilization..

Martian

« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2012, 08:34:38 »

The real trick is to tell the difference between the bad guy, and the good guy, of course. ::)

So, good guy sitting in an office at the school, with weapon, bored witless. Bad guy goes postal. How many magazines has he got through before good guy has even put his doughnut down? ::)

None!

He's in hospital because he shot himself in the foot with a Glock 40  ;D

OOMV6

« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2012, 08:41:16 »

Imo guns in a modern civilization life is a definite no no.. but for America a quick solution may be to use armed security as I said before.. here also guns are a part of our culture, but honestly speaking a culture existing with guns in my view is not a culture.. its a barbaristic tribe instead of a civilization..

Yep. Just outlaw guns. I don't see what the objection is. Ok, people say they want to arm themselves, but if guns were not easily obtainable like in other cultures, then there would not be a need for everyone to have a gun under their pillow. In western Europe, people generally speaking don't have guns in their house / cars, because guns laws prevent it. Yeah, you get the odd madman, like in Oslo, which unfortunately is always going to be the case.
As said in another post, it's a mentally, a culture, a habit - one that nobody really ever questions. A typical example of the human nature of "we've always done it this way, so we won't change"

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2012, 09:58:10 »

None!

He's in hospital because he shot himself in the foot with a Glock 40  ;D

he may be incompetent or idiot or whatever.. but think like that when there is a deadly virus around.. dont you use a preventive injection.. leaving children defenseless  in a mad crowd imo is unforgivable!!

bigboykarl

• barnsley/london.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2012, 10:08:55 »

Explain the Swiss. ..they have more guns per capita than the USA...but
A lot less gun crime..what the USA needs is a proper health care system where people with mental health problems can be helped......guns don't kill people...people do

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 December 2012, 10:47:22 »

Explain the Swiss. ..they have more guns per capita than the USA...but
A lot less gun crime..what the USA needs is a proper health care system where people with mental health problems can be helped......guns don't kill people...people do

People with guns kill people...  :-\  :'(

As I understand it in Switzerland when young men complete their compulsory military service they are then automatically army reservists for 10 years and yes keep their rifles at home, however they are not allowed to keep ammunition and in the event of a call up are issued ammunition at the base.  Also I think that when the 10 years is up and they are no longer reservists they hand their weapon back.  :)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2012, 11:48:40 »

I remember seeing guns being sold in Walmart when I have visited the States on many occasions, and I still find it absolutely chilling! ::) ::) ::) ::)  The USA, I love her, but she is a different culture to ours and I am convinced our British brains can never give answers to a  very complex American issue.

I just pray they find answers soonest. :( :( :(

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 December 2012, 12:00:38 »

In most states you can't just walk out with it unless you already have a licence though ;)

Not dramatically different to visiting a gun shop here in the UK... If you have the correct paperwork and space for the weapon (most/all UK gun licences have a limited number of "slots" for weapons) you can take it home ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.