Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BMW 335i power upgrade  (Read 5613 times)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
BMW 335i power upgrade
« on: 25 September 2013, 07:56:22 »

The son of a friend is selling his 2009 335i coupe which has only 12000 miles on it. He has had it from new. He works in the production teams on tour with Roger Waters, Justin Bieber etc and so is always away hence the low mileage.

He is away at present and his father doesn't know much about the power upgrade done when new and just says there is a black box on it. My son is interested in the car as BMW have only offered him £12000 for it.

Anyone have any ideas what is most likely power upgrade to have been fitted and what that will do to insurance.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

cem_devecioglu

Re: BMW 335i power upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2013, 09:00:06 »

those are turbo cars so easy to add some measurable power..

http://www.burgertuning.com/products.html

but my question is will he really need that sort of power as its already a fast car.. :-\

he can rarely use this much power in daily use..  and can loose the license (unless he drives here) ;D
« Last Edit: 25 September 2013, 09:09:24 by cem »

mantahatch

« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2013, 09:13:32 »

The son of a friend is selling his 2009 335i coupe which has only 12000 miles on it. He has had it from new. He works in the production teams on tour with Roger Waters, Justin Bieber etc and so is always away hence the low mileage.

He is away at present and his father doesn't know much about the power upgrade done when new and just says there is a black box on it. My son is interested in the car as BMW have only offered him £12000 for it.

Anyone have any ideas what is most likely power upgrade to have been fitted and what that will do to insurance.

There is no way I would buy a car that has anything to do with JB. Even such a remote link is way to much for me.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Sorry could not resist.

bigboykarl

• barnsley/london.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2013, 09:19:21 »

my next door neighbour had his on autotrader i'm sure he wanted about £17.5k

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2013, 09:48:30 »

I can only think it's either a tracking device of some description (eg, Tracker), or it's a reference to the ECU having been remapped (for more power/torque).

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2013, 14:38:24 »

those are turbo cars so easy to add some measurable power..

http://www.burgertuning.com/products.html

but my question is will he really need that sort of power as its already a fast car.. :-\

he can rarely use this much power in daily use..  and can loose the license (unless he drives here) ;D

If memory serves the 335i has maximum torque of about 300 ft lb at just 1300 RPM. This makes it quicker in 'the real world' than the peaky M3.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2013, 14:40:11 »

306 BHP standard, a remap can generally take them to 370 BHP or thereabouts, they are actually quite detuned from the factory so as not to compete with the M3.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2013, 15:22:47 »

Thanks for all the input. It is definitely a power upgrade of some description. He did not order this upgrade but after they took his order back in2009 someone messed up and when he asked what was going on some weeks later this car was offered. So the unit was fitted from new but obviously to someone else's spec. I need to see if the insurance company will mess about with premiums. I suppose you could disconnect it but would not like to get into this if avoidable. Garage offered £12k seller wants around £14k and my son was thinking £13k so maybe a deal to be done.

Interesting comment Del.

mantahatch

« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2013, 16:05:10 »

I allways thought if an item was fitted from new then the insurance should cover it. My sons Astra came from the factory with the full Irmscher body kit and it is no more exoensive to insure than a standard one. But if you retro fit these bit then it is a modification and insurance goes up.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2013, 16:32:23 »

I cant ever see BMW fitting or warranting a tuning box.

mantahatch

« Reply #10 on: 25 September 2013, 16:40:33 »

May be a dealer fitted item item which again should be covered. There are many instances of dealer specials which are no more to insure. That said it is usually just a boot spoiler or similar.
As we all know trying to find 2 identical bmw is quite hard, so how do the insurance companies deal with them ?

MR MISTER

« Reply #11 on: 25 September 2013, 17:59:38 »

Are indicators a mod?

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 25 September 2013, 18:03:31 »

Are indicators a mod?
Only if they work :P

MR MISTER

« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2013, 18:37:34 »

Are indicators a mod?
Only if they work :P
A young woman in a bmw (I know....scary) indicated to pull into my lane today. I thought 'that makes a nice change' and let her in. I then followed her for a while with her indicator flashing away. She must have hit the stalk by accident and didn't know how to cancel it. ;D

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2013, 20:54:35 »

I bet you were hoping she would hit your stalk :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.