Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 8833 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please
« Reply #45 on: 19 February 2021, 18:38:24 »

If your certifiably insane that is.  :o
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 February 2021, 18:54:01 »

Personally, I think a lot of new, nothing special cars are way overpriced.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 19 February 2021, 18:57:58 »

Personally, I think a lot of new, nothing special cars are way overpriced.

Me too , although wifey is budgeting £65,000 for a motorhome once the two properties she has been left  are sold.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 February 2021, 19:05:47 »

That might get you a poorly assembled Peugeot Boxer...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 19 February 2021, 19:12:47 »

That might get you a poorly assembled Peugeot Boxer...

Wouldn't buy Pug or Fiat .
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 19 February 2021, 19:29:57 »

Short wheelbase VW with a pop up roof?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 February 2021, 19:52:50 »

No a mate had one & was very dissatisfied with it, I saw one a few months back in the Caravan & Motorhome club mag based on a Ford Transit very nice layout & with everything I'd want as the driver auto, cruise reversing cameras etc started I think at £68,000 had a very good report , but would have to see it & try it but ultimately it will be up to SWMBO will have a good look once restrictions are lifted , never had a good look at one really may decide against it & just get a new tin tent , certainly not going to rush into a purchase the way things are with travelling at present.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2021, 19:55:31 by Rangie »

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 February 2021, 20:05:09 »

No a mate had one & was very dissatisfied with it, I saw one a few months back in the Caravan & Motorhome club mag based on a Ford Transit very nice layout & with everything I'd want as the driver auto, cruise reversing cameras etc started I think at £68,000 had a very good report , but would have to see it & try it but ultimately it will be up to SWMBO will have a good look once restrictions are lifted , never had a good look at one really may decide against it & just get a new tin tent , certainly not going to rush into a purchase the way things are with travelling at present.
If you're wife is determined, Mick, persuade her not to set a budget. Have a look at what it is that she would really like, then ask the price. If she can afford it, and thinks the price is not too outrageous for what she'd get, then go for it. No use making compromises, you end up regretting not buying what you really wanted.
Diesel till I die

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 19 February 2021, 20:06:12 »

Perhaps, the suspension is probably the biggest immediate issue, as the rear shocks are about the only part you can replace without requiring a full set up. The idea of changing anything else is an instant £80+ for a proper alignment, and that's assuming that everything else is ok and the rear track rods free off without bending.

Sure you can change it all one part at a time, but get it wrong and you'll see 1,000 miles from the front tyres, and that gets really old, really quickly.

And that's before the normal maintenance stuff like cam cover leaks and breather cleaning.

That's not to say the Omega is a bad car, far from it... Just that you need to have your eyes open when you buy one 'because it's cheaper than a 5 Series/E Class ;)

All the above I agree with, anyone who's had an Omega will be familiar with the above, the problem now is that on top of all that lot you have the age problems with various sealants now degrading and failing on the bodyshell, rust appearing in all the wrong structural places and parts availability (at least for decent quality parts) drying up.

It's still a great car in my opinion, but time is moving on and something more fuel efficient and reliable is required as a daily car.  ::)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 19 February 2021, 20:06:50 »

If you are used to slumming it in a Pikey Wagon, you probably won't like the switch to a Pikey Wagon with a steering wheel.  If you do decide it's for you, then factor in 3/4k on a Smart, IQ, C1 that you can drag behind it, so when you do eventually stop pissing motorists off and pull into a Camp Site, you can go and get Fish & Chips, visit the beach without having to pack EVERYTHING away.

A proper Camper Van without a small car is just a pain IMO
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 19 February 2021, 20:20:16 »

If you're wife is determined, Mick, persuade her not to set a budget. Have a look at what it is that she would really like, then ask the price. If she can afford it, and thinks the price is not too outrageous for what she'd get, then go for it. No use making compromises, you end up regretting not buying what you really wanted.

Good advice Steve, we will have a real good look before deciding price won't be a problem with the amount she should get , won't believe it though till we get the funds from the solicitor still find it difficult to comprehend totally unexpected windfall.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 19 February 2021, 20:23:10 »

If you are used to slumming it in a Pikey Wagon, you probably won't like the switch to a Pikey Wagon with a steering wheel.  If you do decide it's for you, then factor in 3/4k on a Smart, IQ, C1 that you can drag behind it, so when you do eventually stop pissing motorists off and pull into a Camp Site, you can go and get Fish & Chips, visit the beach without having to pack EVERYTHING away.

We have discussed that already quite fancy a small  Toyota as a runabout, but for £35,000 could get a nice twin axle van , just got to have a good look.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 19 February 2021, 21:18:24 »

We have discussed that already quite fancy a small  Toyota as a runabout, but for £35,000 could get a nice twin axle van , just got to have a good look.

Thing is with a camper van/small car set up is that you have to tax and insure two extra vehicles.  ;)

I'd go for a nice big twin axle pikey wagon, and tell SWMBO that you need to upgrade the Range Rover to tow it!  ::) 

A nice full fat 5.0V8 L405 should do the trick Mick!  :y   ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 19 February 2021, 21:33:57 »

Thing is with a camper van/small car set up is that you have to tax and insure two extra vehicles.  ;)

I'd go for a nice big twin axle pikey wagon, and tell SWMBO that you need to upgrade the Range Rover to tow it!  ::) 

A nice full fat 5.0V8 L405 should do the trick Mick!  :y   ;D

Got to admit that I love our twin axle Eldiss & looks a treat on the Range Rover & I would like to swap it for a new one personally I think a motorhome might be a bit cramped after the space we have but she wants to have a look so I'll humour her, like the idea of a 5.0 RR 😁

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 19 February 2021, 21:37:37 »

Just joined so hello everyone.

Looking for a lot of advice as the last Vauxhall I had was a 2.0 Auto Cavalier in 2006 and wished I had never sold it but that's life.

Anyway I am looking to buy an Omega Automatic saloon and are trying to seek advice on what model, engine size, year, yes or no mileage, things to look for really any owner advice in general.

I'm 67 years old and would like a bit of luxury to drive around in and to enjoy.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Chris

Getting back on topic.......

Chris only asked for a bit of informed advice about buying an Omega and I think a good few have done a pretty good job of putting him right off! - probably not wholly intentional, but nevertheless had a good try!
I have owned several Omegas since 2004 and currently own 3 Elites - whilst I do 99% of the work on them myself, owning one isn't quite as much doom and gloom as has been portrayed. Yes, old cars need more tlc than your moden cars (say upto 3 years old that have usually only had one service), but a certain degree of work other than general servicing is likely with the majority of even 7 year old plus cars, irrespective of make. Some Omega parts are becoming harder to find, but not impossible - again the Omega isn't on its own in this respect....
If you are fortunate to find a respectable Omega, I would definitely recommend going for it - you won't regret it irrespective of what has been said by a few.....
You will get a lot of useful advice on here, as long as you ignore the minority, and search the minefield of useful information available here.
Most people are friendly - honest!
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.