Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting a Y32SE to a 1972 scimitar GTE.  (Read 27391 times)

MikeyBikey

• Cornwall
    • Reliant Scimitar GTE
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting a Y32SE to a 1972 scimitar GTE.
« Reply #45 on: 27 May 2020, 18:09:58 »

10.2mm from memory, its at this lift that the curtain area is equal to the port area so optimum.

Did the engine over speed when the clutch let go as that's classic timing jumped and bent valve symptoms?

Thanks, that’s actually a good diagnosis. Yes the engine had overrevved, but it’s still seemed ok, until I parked up. The aftermarket ecu has a limit of 6500 but I’m sure was going higher. So if it jumped a tooth on the crank, that would throw things out a lot. And explain why every cylinder is b*ggered. 

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 27 May 2020, 18:30:17 »

Might be worth bunging a decent pair of heads back on it and reinstalling it, by the sound of things.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

MikeyBikey

• Cornwall
    • Reliant Scimitar GTE
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05 June 2020, 16:56:09 »

Hi, engine man has checked the cam belt and removed the heads. Yes the belt had jumped on the crank, bending all the inlet valves. Pistons are good. He's happy to fit new valves & gaskets. Do I need new head bolts with these engines Y32SE. He's already finished for the day and I'm hoping to buy the stuff online over the weekend.

cheers

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 05 June 2020, 22:06:24 »

Hi, engine man has checked the cam belt and removed the heads. Yes the belt had jumped on the crank, bending all the inlet valves. Pistons are good. He's happy to fit new valves & gaskets. Do I need new head bolts with these engines Y32SE. He's already finished for the day and I'm hoping to buy the stuff online over the weekend.

cheers

For the little they cost, not using new head bolts would be a false economy :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 08 June 2020, 08:37:41 »

You absolutely MUST use new head bolts, alloy head and torqued to their elastic point and slightly beyond  :y

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 08 June 2020, 17:24:11 »

One of the Irish guys I know says they prefer the x30xe when doing conversions for the very same reason that the 3.2's tend to over rev.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 09 June 2020, 11:24:17 »

One of the Irish guys I know says they prefer the x30xe when doing conversions for the very same reason that the 3.2's tend to over rev.

what does that actually mean? ???

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 23 June 2020, 23:03:44 »

Valve bounce/float due to inadequate spring design, then lifters pump up and valves meet pistons.  Just a guess, maybe the G cams are
 bit too much for the valve gear. Perhaps the 3.0 has more piston to valve clearance so they get away with it.  3.2 has forged crank so maybe the bottom end is better than the top. All development of that era of engine was focused on emissions not outright power.  Only the 2litre C20XE was ever designed (by Cosworth) with motorsport potential in mind. 
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 24 June 2020, 10:19:45 »

The only difference between the 3.0 and 3.2 that is significant for retro fitting is the engine management, its much easier to keep the ECU setup from a 3.0 than it is a 3.2.

I have said many times that the optimum setup using off the shelf bits is a 3.2 bottom end and exhaust manifolds ported 2.5/2.6 heads, 3.2 inlet setup and 3.0 engine management  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 24 June 2020, 10:43:10 »

There's nothing physically preventing the 3.0 wiring/sensors/ecu from being used on the 3.2 block and vice versa ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

456lbft

• Northants
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 24 June 2020, 21:53:33 »

There's nothing physically preventing the 3.0 wiring/sensors/ecu from being used on the 3.2 block and vice versa ;)
Very interesting, I didn't think anyone could do anything mapping wise with any of those old ecus anymore. I intend to use a standalone management system when the track toy comes together.  The hardware is cheaper than it used to be, it's the calibration time on  rolling road which costs.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 27 June 2020, 07:11:24 »

Very interesting, I didn't think anyone could do anything mapping wise with any of those old ecus anymore. I intend to use a standalone management system when the track toy comes together.  The hardware is cheaper than it used to be, it's the calibration time on  rolling road which costs.

Get yourself a wideband lambda sensor and do it on the road. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

456lbft

• Northants
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 27 June 2020, 09:03:29 »

Yes, that would be better, and some management systems now have a degree of self learning from a closed loop lambda. I wish I'd worked harder at school, learning this stuff in my 50s is much harder and of limited use in the electrified world we are heading towards.  Still fun though!
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 27 June 2020, 21:35:21 »

Yes, that would be better, and some management systems now have a degree of self learning from a closed loop lambda. I wish I'd worked harder at school, learning this stuff in my 50s is much harder and of limited use in the electrified world we are heading towards.  Still fun though!
I swapped from twin DCOEs to a Megasquirt system on my Westfield and within an afternoon I had it running better than it ever did on carbs and drinking a third less fuel. All with just a wideband lambda sensor and a laptop on the passenger seat. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

MikeyBikey

• Cornwall
    • Reliant Scimitar GTE
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 11 July 2020, 21:31:42 »

10.2mm from memory, its at this lift that the curtain area is equal to the port area so optimum.

Did the engine over speed when the clutch let go as that's classic timing jumped and bent valve symptoms?

Hi all, engine fixed.

All inlet valves were bent, but pistons etc all ok. Just very light kisses in the carbon. It looked Funny though, exactly the same pattern on each piston.

So new valves, gaskets, timing belt etc etc. All ready to go back in.

Mark, you might have nailed it here, we’ve been scratching our heads trying to work out how she overrevved, but of course, if the clutch had let go under heavy acceleration , the engine would have deff buzzed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 18 queries.