Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: electric showers  (Read 840 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
electric showers
« on: 21 January 2022, 20:07:50 »

asking for recommendations for an electric shower. lots for sale but is the higher the kw,s the better it should be. ??

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: electric showers
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2022, 20:22:05 »

I think mine is 11Kw and I run it at 6.5

I would say the higher the power then the less stress is on the unit with power in resereve. :y

Cant remember the make and model of mine, but it's a power shower with high/low pressure. :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2022, 20:35:13 »

Electric showers just run at a constant heat output (so nothing in reserve - unless it has a low/high heat setting). Temperature is adjusted by changing the flow rate. A higher rated one will therefore just give you a faster flow rate (and electricity consumption) at a given temperature.

Worth checking what your electrical supply can cope with before getting a hugely powerful one, and if a circuit is already present, you'll need to consider its rating.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2022, 20:50:31 »

Higher rated showers need a higher flow rate of water too

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2022, 22:10:55 »

Also check that you have enough 'head'  :o to let a conventional shower work correctly. I still have a hot water cylinder which is not installed high enough for an ordinary shower to work, so had to go for a power shower which has an integral pump.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2022, 00:31:05 »

As Kevin had said it is very important to find out if you have a heavy enough gauge
 wire feeding it if you intend to upgrade the KW on your shower.
Laying a rubber road.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2022, 08:43:12 »

Been through a variety, they get quite a bit of use here.  Only tend to get a few years before a few bits pack up in them, then more cost effective and quicker to buy new than repair.

Found a Mira Sport 10.8 gives the best shower imho, ignore the airboost thing though, next to pointless. 

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2022, 09:56:13 »

I have fitted 3, and used Mira Advanced Thermostatic Flex 8.7 KW electric showers, which for me are the best in that price range. It comes with a long hose if not

They will work on reasonably low water pressures if necessary, down to 0.7 bar, which I took advantage of when fitting one of these showers in my daughters house.  The previous cheap shower she had would not work if the pressure dropped, even though it had it’s own direct cold water supply, taking it off the mains before any appliances / taps could reduce the pressure.  The Mira Advanced has not faltered and provides a strong flow at all times.

With one of my Mira showers I needed a spare part, and found the company has a very good service department who quickly supplied the part, and at a discount.  Highly recommend them! :y

:)
« Last Edit: 22 January 2022, 09:58:35 by Lizzie Zoom »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2022, 11:45:58 »

If you have a suitable hot water supply  available but can't easily fit a mixer shower the Aqualisa Visage and Quartz ceiling fed showers might be worth a look although I notice they've facelifted them and considerably hiked the prices since I last bought one. ::)

These have a mixer and optionally a pump that can be mounted remotely in a loft or cupboard avoiding the need to chase pipework into the walls and replace tiling, and so on.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.