Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3059456 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #23595 on: 03 April 2022, 11:19:13 »

Had thought about hard wiring a connection to the rear socket/fuse box, but currently using one of theses...

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9487538 (significantly cheaper at Tescos) with an older ex TomTom 12v USB plug which sticks out almost an inch, so need a shallower plug along with a much shorter cable fo charging my phone (a 1metre lead is excessive for the car ::))

Only had to notch two bits of trim, neither visible, to run the centre console wiring so the only visible stuff is in the ashtray and where the aux feeds to the cars media interface, which the stuck in the glove box, so no option but to run it out past the door. But in spite of this, there's only an inch or so visible there 8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23596 on: 03 April 2022, 14:20:00 »

You have to be careful about using USB hubs if they are not powered DG
whilst all the gubbins you plug in may 'work' they may be funning under voltage etc
which can throw faults or strange behaviour  :P
maybe you should consider dedicated PSUs transformers etc ,hidden ,if you haven't thought about that already  :-\ 

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23597 on: 03 April 2022, 14:36:56 »

Only thing I did yesterday was to remove the o/s disc and clean up the inside face to match the n/s one I did a few days ago.
Is there a way of stopping / preventing / lessening the inside face of Omega discs corroding ?
They are Brembo discs, 18 months old and had approx 5000 miles of use, yet are being ruined, by the outer third (approx.) of the inner face corroding.  :(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #23598 on: 03 April 2022, 16:31:47 »

Only thing I did yesterday was to remove the o/s disc and clean up the inside face to match the n/s one I did a few days ago.
Is there a way of stopping / preventing / lessening the inside face of Omega discs corroding ?
They are Brembo discs, 18 months old and had approx 5000 miles of use, yet are being ruined, by the outer third (approx.) of the inner face corroding.  :(

There was mwntion before of painting the outer edges and into the fins with some vht paint. Whether that will stop the faces going I do not know.

Or Bilt Hamber do a product called AtomMac designed for detailers. I think you spray it over the wheels at some point during the wash process and it stops the surfve corrosion. Might be worth a look  I've never used it myself.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #23599 on: 03 April 2022, 16:33:57 »

Today is a momentous day. I have finished the metalwork of the ex plod. There has been swearong. There has been vigorous angry grinding. There has been a significant amount of percussive moulding. But its there. It is far from perfect but as the saying goes, a grinder and some paint makes me the welder that I ain't...

Now to clean up and celebrate with Guru Addy, I keep banging the drum but by Christ without him I wouldn't be at this point
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23600 on: 03 April 2022, 16:42:54 »

You have to be careful about using USB hubs if they are not powered DG
whilst all the gubbins you plug in may 'work' they may be funning under voltage etc
which can throw faults or strange behaviour  :P
maybe you should consider dedicated PSUs transformers etc ,hidden ,if you haven't thought about that already  :-\
Currently all it powers are an Hdmi converter and the Chromecast, neither of which are power hungry, and it stands to reason that the hub is powered by virtue of being plugged in  ???

I have a twin fast charge socket coming as an alternative as I don't think the Tom Tom one is particularly brilliant with changing the the phone, (it's just a convenient left over from when dinosaurs ruled the world)  ;)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23601 on: 03 April 2022, 18:04:23 »

Driven the Range Rover to Kent to collect a Camaro my mate has bought , brought back on trailer as it has a gearbox fault he's worked on them before reckons an easy fix for him, steak meal for SWMBO & myself on him later in the week..😉
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23602 on: 03 April 2022, 18:09:45 »

Failed to locate the fault on an Astra-H headlight that apparently has never worked.  Despite finding a cut wire.

Next step is to work out how the underhood electrics module comes out, so I can do a continuity check.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23603 on: 03 April 2022, 18:12:40 »

Also, secured the gearboxes to the chassis, mounted the electrics, fitted the braces, track rods, steering linkages, battery trays, motor and fans, and then testing it all works.

Obviously, this was in 1/8th scale, so could be done in the comfort of the bench :)

Never found a reason for it to stop working following its dunking in the North Sea, which is a bit annoying.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23604 on: 03 April 2022, 18:39:37 »

Failed to locate the fault on an Astra-H headlight that apparently has never worked.  Despite finding a cut wire.

Next step is to work out how the underhood electrics module comes out, so I can do a continuity check.
Take that back - left owner to check every inch of loom between light and UEC, and a damaged loom has been discovered :)
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23605 on: 04 April 2022, 18:11:30 »

Take that back - left owner to check every inch of loom between light and UEC, and a damaged loom has been discovered :)
Ex Plod?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23606 on: 04 April 2022, 18:38:21 »

Ex Plod?
Nope
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23607 on: 05 April 2022, 02:09:46 »

Alabama Mumsybus MoTd for the next 13 months.

Next job will be sorting the gearbox sump/fluid filter.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23608 on: 06 April 2022, 13:30:54 »

Connected it back up to the mains, due to lack of use, itself due to lack of dirty diesel around these parts.
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23609 on: 06 April 2022, 16:46:34 »

Took SWMBO to Newmarket this afternoon so she could have a wander around the shops. Go to smaller places now as she needs to use a rollator. I had an amble up to the Tesco Extra which is out of town. Filling station completely closed. Was going to clean the Vectra, but a complete waste of time until all the blossom has blown has off next doors tree. Looks like it's covered in confetti which has stuck like shit to a blanket. >:(

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.